Welcome dCS Mosaic 1.2

I’m assuming they mean “aesthetic”

God forbid there are more typos!

God does not care. They use MSB.

2 Likes

:innocent: :joy: Ha ha ha!

Process went very smoothly. From start (updating the iOS app) to finish (Upsampler back on line and system functioning ) took 8 minutes.

Took about 3 tries to get this to work(I Think?). I updated through the app store and then everything seemed to work. I have noticed one change that has me puzzled. I use Roon to stream Tidal. Formerly all Tidal MQA streams showed as 96 or 192 with a green light in Mosaic. Now it shows "orfs(do not remember if it said orfs before) 96 or 192 with a red light. I have seen green and blue status light previously but never red(or magenta). What is this all about?

ORFS means Original Sampling Frequency for MQA files.

In Roon, if you set your dCS to “Decoder + Renderer”, Roon will send the raw MQA (if no DSP / volume leveling / grouped zones) to your dCS, this way it will display MQA, perform both MQA Core decoding and MQA Rendering.

If you set your dCS to “Renderer Only”, Roon will do the MQA Core decoding, send the MQA Core signal to your dCS, this way Mosaic will display ORFS and your dCS unit will perform MQA Rendering.

Both are normal and comply with the latest requirements from MQA Ltd. and Roon signal path display.

Both are playing back MQA to their fullest extent.

Bartok updated successfully, but I got an exciting message when the web interface didn’t refresh itself:

All seems well with the world, though :smiley:

1 Like

My Rossini needed a few reboots to finish the firmware update. All good now though.

Thanks dCS team! From my perspective, the software and hardware updates are the reason I chose dCS. Keep it up!

Everything went perfect the first time. That said I never use the app for anything but changing filters, etc.

1 Like

I had to reboot twice (or three times with the initial “clean slate” reboot). After the first reboot, the Rossini did function (visible in Roon, played OK) but the display was one grey blob. That rectified itself after another reboot.

I just found out that I cannot switch inputs anymore from my dCS remote, after the 1.2 update. If it is on USB1, the remote can still switch it to Network. If it is on Network, no way it will switch to USB by remote.

@James ? @Phil ?

Ok, here’s something odd about this version of Mosaic. When I run Tidal via Mosaic and play non MQA tracks, my Bartok shows PCM 44.1, On the other hand, when I use Tidal Connect, the format shows on the Mosaic screen as Free Lossless Audio Codec with a fluctuating bit rate. Anybody know why the format display is different. Mosaic playback and Tidal Connect are not the same?

And here’s another bug…after switching back and forth from Tidal Connect and Mosaic…my Bartok froze and would not respond to Mosaic or Tidal commands. The screen displayed the Network Connection icon and nothing would budge. Had to reboot the Bartok to get things operational again. Hope someone with dCS can weigh in on this and the PCM/FLAC display issue.

Hi Vray,

Both of these are correct - the audio format is PCM 44.1kHz and the file format is FLAC at a variable bitrate so there isn’t an error as such.

TIDAL connect playback (and the text displayed) is handled and controlled from the TIDAL end whereas TIDAL playback within the app is controlled from the dCS device end … I will raise your concern and check with the software guys but I suspect that the FLAC and variable bitrate report when using TIDAL connect is simply what TIDAL connect reports and it is possible that that cannot be changed.

BR

Phil

1 Like

Thanks, Phil. I don’t wanna start a subjective thread here, but I think I hear a bit of difference between Tidal controlled playback versus Mosaic controlled playback (insert engineer eye roll). Which led to the switching I was doing, Whatever imagined or real difference I heard occurred BEFORE I started investigating and noticed the data stream difference. Getting a confirmation that the FLAC/PCM difference does not connote a sonic difference will help with my neurosis. :wink:

Are you sure…? :wink:

Ooooo … are you really sure…? :wink:

chuckle

That’s absolutely fine … I haven’t noticed a difference myself but perhaps my ears aren’t as finely attuned as yours? :slightly_smiling_face:

This is the great thing about this hobby … we all get something different out of it and we all listen to different things and we all listen differently.

There have been times in my (fairly long) past in the HiFi industry where I have absolutely positively known that what’s going through the DAC is absolutely the same but by hell I’ve been sure it sounded different.

Or I’ve stood in the dem room in front of a dozen of my colleagues demoing an obvious difference in how something sounds when played one way compared to another but none of us could agree on which one sounded most “right” let alone which one sounded “best”…

Thankfully what I totally enjoy doing is support so I get to listen to all the things that you guys say, help you out wherever I can and report the “freaky” stuff to the MegaMinds in R&D… :grinning:

BR

Phil

1 Like

I’m not able to personally check this as I don’t have access to my system right now but I have flagged it and I’m sure James will see it too…

BR

Phil

Really appreciate the help, Phil. And, by all that is holy, I am NOT sure of anything when it comes to this hobby. I keep an open mind. I’ll never forget beta testing for another DAC manufacturer and discovering, along with several other beta testers, that an innocuous firmware change actually effected sound quality. Some Engineers were initially dismissive, but thankfully, one had a truly open, scientific mind. Long story short, less than a year later, we were beta testing minor changes in firmware that yielded fairly distinct sonic changes and some of those firmware changes were not originally intended to effect sound quality. I know a DAC designer who told me “Digital design is one of the dark arts.” ;-).

Yup … that’s pretty much been my experience too from the inside … I’ve spent many hours listening to different versions of the same piece of code wondering whether I’m hearing differences or whether what I’m actually picking up is the sound of my insanity hamsters fighting between my ears. :rofl:

1 Like