I’ve been noticing some peculiar toslink behavior with the upsampler. I’m a bit neurotic about lip syncing issues, so I’ve been trying all the settings and upsampling bit rates, and the delay seems slightly slightly different among them, and perhaps AES3 vs AES3+4 required output. The bigger issue though is when using 48->DSD or DSDx2 I occasionally get a “matrix” like sound as heard in the first few seconds of this video: https://youtu.be/4eGLWYwbTH4
When doing DXD it occasionally gets muffled for a couple seconds like going from stereo to mono or almost hearing something underwater. Apparently my LG tv is known for occasional drop outs but I’ve also noticed the behavior straight from my xbox one x. I’ve tried different sources (Netflix / Prime video / YouTube) from the Xbox Apple TV and LG tv itself, two different optical cables, two different pairs of AES cables, just one clock cable with the upsampler set to W1 and dac M. I have not noticed it on Ethernet input for music which is the only other input I’ve used so far. From another thread it seems the upsampler optical in has high standards for signal purity, but if I leave it at 48khz output I don’t hear the “mono” like sound, at least not yet. I don’t know if dCS has any debugging instructions I could do.
On a tangent, I’m curious how many milliseconds the delay is on various upsampling settings, and if the dac master clock / upsampler wordclock1 setting adds a syncing delay.