Vivaldi for sale

As this part is about the addition of the 1972 d/d converter for clarification I would point out that it does not handle DSD in or out. If it did connectivity may be a problem as at the time the 1972 was current DSD from dCS required an IEEE1394 interface. No DXD either.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/dcs-972-dd-converter-specification

1 Like

The 972 does DSD on SDIF-2 professional interface, as does my 955 DAC. Remember this is not a consumer machine. Interoperability would have been a problem as it didn’t have firewire so you would have to either stick with PCM on AES or have a professional grade DAC. DOP didn’t exist either and single wire AES was limited to 24/96.
The 972 didn’t have DSD from the start as it started out with 24/96 capability(see logo on picture left!) but back then dCS already had software upgradability :heart_hands:

This is why the network bridge is such a great machine as it offers all outputs to also cater for the professional DACs. And luckily Vivaldi also has SDIF-2. By the way I’m sure they could make the bridge upsample everything if they wanted to, but that might not be good for business.

1 Like

Thanks. Well, you got me there :grin:.

1 Like

Sorry Pete, but what you are saying is not valid for dCS 972 / dCS 974 (pro units).
No IEEE 1384 input.
DSD in and out, but no decrypting DSD datastream from SACD player (DSD on the 972 is not encrypted).
No DXD (is unfortunately correct).

The 974 features three different outputs for (non encrypted) DSD:
Quad AES (8ch 16/44.1) to record stereo DSD on a conventional 8-tr digital recorder (e.g. Tascam DA-88 or Alesis ADAT via RME 8ch format interface).
P3D (3x AES, 6ch 24/44.1) to eventually record 8ch DSD on a 48ch digital recorder. The fourth AES is 16/44.1 used for metering.
SDIF-2 (3x coax with separate clock line) / SDIF-3 (2 coax with integrated clock).

I checked interoperabilty between my 974 and the Vivaldi DAC before I bought the latter.
For the moment I cannot afford a new Vivaldi Upsampler.
Because of electronic room correction the NWB will have to stay in the system even with a Vivaldi Upsampler, so I will not be able to use its streaming functionality.
Occasionally I also need my 974 to downsample higher resolution formats (e.g. 24/88.2 live recordings from a Nagra VI) to CD format.

Thanks Martin but as I said the August above: