Vivaldi Case Feet Thread Spec?

Thanks for sharing Steve. So, you didn’t have anything under the VDAC prior to starting this assessment?

Nothing underneath. Seems that the Pedestal is handling case vibration induced by power supply or anything else internally and “soaking” it up and converting to heat. One thing I’m going to try, since these vibrations would seem to be independent of preamp/amp volume is to see how much low level detail I can perceive from the system when I turn down the volume — with and without these Pedestals.

But always on the SXR/M3X before and after?

Yes. If these M3X’s are not in place, there’s nothing between the component and the one below!

Been testing the HRS Vortex footers under the dCS Vivaldi DAC and it’s making a positive impact. Also use a pair of the 3 lb damping plates on top. Been experimenting with the newer Helix under the Upsampler. Not totally sold on these for use with the Upsampler, though I must admit these are meant for smaller devices and do not offer all of the added features built into the Vortex. Makes a modest contribution.

Hello Everyone,

What a wonderful community you all have here. This is my first post, but I’ve been reading through many of the discussions the last year and have found them all to be quite informative…and, for better or worse, a bit dangerous for my bank account…but I think many of you know how that goes.

If you all don’t mind a question relative to the Rossini DAC: how many of the 125 mm height of the Rossini DAC is due to the feet only? If the Vivaldi DAC uses the same feet, which I think is the case, I would be most grateful for a reply relative to the 151 mm height of the Vivaldi.

I have an Artesania Exoteryc rack with about 258 mm of space to work with. I’m hoping that I’ll be able to add two levels (100 mm in total), a Rossini DAC for one, and the matching clock for the other, space allowing.

Thank you all in advance! Happy listening!

1 Like

Vivaldi feet account for 18mm of the total height of the box. So the Rossini +clock stacked on top of each other they would be 153mm tall if you are thinking of using them minus feet to save height.Or separated you need 125 mm for the DAC ( 107mm without feet) and 64 mm ( 46mm without feet) for the clock.

The dCS manuals say on positioning " For best sound quality the units in the …range are designed to be mounted on separate shelves".

If I was unable to place them on separate shelves I would want to use some kind of interface ( e.g. pucks) between them. However I also think that most people on this forum appreciate that in most cases feet are necessary though some are trying aftermarket alternatives to the feet supplied. However I now appreciate that the spike/anti-resonant disc arrangement on your rack appear as if they may be used in substitution which I guess is what you are thinking of.

So you are OK with the 285mm available ( if that refers to height) but 100mm total for two additional levels to contain the two Rossini chassis is not practical.

Thank you, Pete! Your response was most helpful.

As the rack bypasses a component’s feet entirely by interfacing with the component’s body directly, it looks like I should be okay, but just barely.

Have a good one!

Personally I use Max Townshend siesmic pods…everywhere. included under the Allegri Ref

Under the Roon Server, the uniti , the vivaldi and the Network bridge…i have Gaia under the kef ref5s and if my Levinson 33H returns from a mystery state of falling over and I dont have to buy new amps (although Dartzeel 108 or Constellation revelation monos are whispering to me)…I’ll get something under them as well…

Hifi Rack is an Ikea dining unit( horrors) and as I have the HiFI in the Garden room, the floor is 25 mm softwood on 45 x45 treated sw on concrete…

But it will depend if my back is up to lifting the amps for seismic pods or heavy duty iso acoustics as they arent as high.

I havent tried to experiment with feet, but its all belt (not pete) and braces to me.

I use Townshend corners under my rack (fraim), with Pre, Rossini and Clock each on their own shelf. The whole assembly is isolated. Pods under each power amp and a seismic stand under the speakers. The Townshend stuff really works and isn’t too spendy (compared to many alternatives).

1 Like

Hey Steve,

What did you end up with (if anything) between the HRS platform and your equipment? You mentioned Wilson Pedestals, HRS Vortex and HRS Helix.

Asking for a friend :slight_smile:

(If you tried the Nimbus I’d be interested to hear about that too!)

I have 4 Nimbus and tried them in-between my Rossini and Fraim glass.
I was not impressed. The Rossini went back to sitting directly on the Fraim (and its balls and glass)

After discussing this with Mike Latvis who presides over HRS and telling him of my need to isolate the Vivaldi DAC he steered me to the Vortex. Seems he had extensive experience with dCS and had found the Vortex the ideal solution. As I think I indicated previously I’d tested a number of alternatives that my local dealer provided, including the Wilson, but once I got the Vortex it became readily apparent that it was head and shoulders above the other options.

1 Like

Thanks very much, Steve.

Vortexes for the Upsampler and Clock also, given the same casework?

(And the Spectrals? Dreading that it’ll be Vortex all around, though perhaps my darTZeel 108 and 18NS are different enough in construction that the Nimbus is actually the appropriate choice there, despite @glevethan’s experiences.)

I love you guys. Whenever Mary looks askance at the clocks and antennae, and me re-arranging toe-in on speakers bigger than me, I get to tell her there’s a whole 'nother wing of the asylum. :wink:

2 Likes

When I was a kid living at home my parents put up with an antenna farm in the backyard during my days as a ham radio operator. Today I don’t think my wife would put up with a clock antenna mounted on the house.

3 Likes

Your parents were in awe and delighted with your enthusiasm for learning. Your wife just wishes you would grow up

3 Likes

Running Stillpoints + Base under Rossini. Big impact!

2 Likes

Perhaps the stillpoints under the DAC instead of the clock? Or a second set?
Are you using 3 as a tripod or 4.

I experimented with various isolation devices such as HRS Nimbus pucks, Gaia Oreas, and Stillpoints for my Tube headphone amplifier. In the end Stillpoints, one of the originals, provided the best results.

I have my Rossini on a Naim Fraim rack - glass shelf and stainless steel balls. For some reason I did not see any improvement adding the Stillpoints. Perhaps due more to the quality of the Fraim rack rather than the ineffectiveness of the Stillpoints. Under my headphone tube amp they work the charm. Under the separate PS for the amp as well.

I use 4 under the Clock. don’t want to use the stillpoints under the DAC sitting on Clock because these may scratch the clock’s surface. I tested Stillpoints under my amps without any benefit- biggest SQ was under the dCS combination. I have addtl. IsoAcoustics Orea under my Melco (4x).