Think about adding a Melco

Many great comments and suggestions. When I eventually get the Melco I will probably reach out again. But, if Mosaic can take the metadata as I’ve edited I think I’ll get it work out. What is one to do in the winter during a pandemic anyway.

Hi All,

I got the Melco and all is working fine except that the Bartok will not recognize edited files. I changed some metadata - basically just tagging front covers - and the Bartok just has “Modified or deleted item”. Ok fine, but how can I get the Bartok to accept these changes? And, of course, the front cover is not present.

Thanks,

Paul

Do you mean that Bartok will not recognise the files or Mosaic will not?

What files are you talking about; FLACs? If so how did you edit the metadata, by editing the ID3 file? If so there is no reason why the front cover is missing.

Finally was the Melco purchased new or used? If used or maybe NOS, are you running Twonky or MinimServer UPnP server software? if MinimServer have you also downloaded MinimWatch or MinimWatch 2 ( depending on the MInimServer version) to your computer?

NB: “Modified or Deleted” is an unusual error message. Are you sure that it isn’t " Moved or Deleted"?

Sorry for redundancy - not sure if my previous message went through:

The Melco is new. The files are .wav. As a test I uploaded 3 albums: an album ripped with dbspoweramp (by someone else) and two ripped by me with Exact Audio Copy. On the first EAC album I tagged the front cover using Foobar, on the second I only left the jpeg file front.jpg in the album’s folder (all you need for Aurender). The first 2 albums are fine.

This last album did not display the cover art, so I tried tagging using Foobar using the laptop on the network. This didn’t work, so I tried re-uploading the updated folder/files through the Melco’s USB. Mosaic does not recognize the new files, and only displays “Modified or deleted item” where each of the tracks used to be - not really an error message per se. No music files to be seen in Mosaic. The group, album title, and genre can still be seen though. When I look at the Melco’s drive on my network the new files are there, but Mosaic is not seeing them.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ach! My bad. I just noticed the ‘Rescan Songs and Playlists’ in the Music Database submenu. Aurender did this automatically, but I prefer this way - a bit more control.

Ah, so if I understand correctly the problem was that you have loaded the music files into the Melco’s storage but not scanned them into the UPnP server software.

If I am correct is everything now working as it should?

Yes- so far so good! I’m now importing my library- which will take a few more hours. The Melco sounds great with the Bartok via Ethernet direct.

Many thanks!

Best, Paul

1 Like

I took Melco N1A for test, connected it between the switch and Bartok (Switch-LAN port, Player port-Bartok). Traffic passes, music from WD NAS, streaming services are working. But I cannot change Melco’s IP address, my subnet is 192.168.1.xxx, but Melco IP is fixed and set from another subnet 192.168.0.xxx. I looked at the manual, it says that you need to choose Settings-Network-Fixed/DHCP etc. But I do not have Network item in Melco menu. In this case I cannot select the fixed / dhcp mode. For this reason I can’t use integrated minimserver and play files from Melco.

Melco firmware is 4.20

Has anyone encountered the problem of missing the Network settings?

If your Melco is set for “Direct Mode” - Settings -> Network -> Player - than the N1A acts as the DHCP Server on it’s “Player Port” and will issue your Bartok with a private subnet IP address which is separate from the “Network Port” address that it obtains via DHCP from your Router. Do note: in Direct Mode, Mosaic Control will not be able to connect to your Bartok.

When you set the Melco to “Network Mode” instead, the N1A will Bridge its two Ethernet ports in software. So, all traffic will pass through both ports, including your Bartok’s DHCP requests, and your Bartok will get an IP address allocated from your Router. Mosaic Control will work fine in this mode.

the problem is that I don’t have Network menu in Settings. And I can’t change Player Mode and IP settings.

Oh right, since your Melco N1’s Firmware is 4.20, it must be the new N1 mark2 EX version.

I would recommend you pull down the User Manual and follow from Page 48;

In this firmware, the “Direct Mode” that I mentioned previously is now called “Isolated Mode”, while “Network Mode” is now more appropriately called “Bridged Mode”. The rest of my explanations stays the same.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I do not see isolated/bridged menus either ((

I don’t really understand how this is possible :roll_eyes:

How is your machine’s menu different from whats shown on Page 48-49 of the User Manual? :thinking:

Yes, I don’t see these settings. No Network item

Looking at the manual for your MK2 EX series machine the sequence of menu entries to reach the option for changing IP address is the same as on my earlier N1Z ( non-EX) player. So, the menu options should be as per the user manual.

How have you treated the installation of the Melco? With Bartok it should be set up as connected to a Network Player not as connected to a USB-DAC.

OK, that being so, can you see an IP address displayed on the home display screen?

NB: the option " Network" is a long way down the menu. Have you scrolled down far enough, the screen only displays around 3-4 options at a time? It is item 11. See p.57 .in the User Manual.

1 Like

I tried changing the subnet on my laptop manually and connecting directly to Melco. Yes, I have access to Melco’s web resources from my laptop. But this does not give me the ability to change the modes of the player and receiving IP.

I see friendly name and 192.168.0.50, but my network subnet is 192.168.1.xxx.

The buttons are pretty hard to press, but I got to the bottom of the list.
My last item is 10. No Network item found…
I found Network item only in Status menu, but it is RO info.

Well, it seems confirmed that you have the Melco actually connected to your network. I am worried about your point that the buttons are hard to press. They should be very easy - a light touch only required. That makes we wonder about the unit that you have which, as you say it is on test, and is presumably a demonstrator on loan from your dealer? Have you raised this issue with him?

There is a problem here that should not be occurring. Those Melco user manuals are reliable from my experience so if the the manual says the option is in the menu you can bet it is ( or should be). I thought about there having been some kind of faulty update of the firmware having been carried out but this would be unlikely as it should not have been validated.

Some options may be available only in certain configurations but access to " Network" isn’t one of them AFAIK. I would contact Melco whom I have found very good to deal with in the past. Here is a link to the contact enquiry form:

1 Like

I sent them an email. Thanks for the link Pete.

Well, Melсo support said nothing to me :flushed:
I read the manual and performed a full factory reset (does not affect data on disks).
The Network menu finally appeared and Melco was able to get IP from my network. Melco also downloaded the latest firmware version 4.92.
Melco has a rather pleasant sound. But I haven’t done detailed tests yet.

Do you mean that you had no reply or that their reply didn’t provide enough information to help with your problem? Although you can now see the full menu and have the latest firmware I remain concerned about your comment that front panel buttons are hard to push. Is it your own machine or have you it on loan from a dealer?