Spotify HiFi is coming!

absolutely agree. all hopes on dcs now with spotify connect support for CD Quality :slight_smile:

(Just making a speculative educated guess :wink:)…

While I doubt there will be any issue supporting Spotify HiFi, I’m sure there are a number of moving parts involved, not the least of which is whether updates are required to the Spotify embedded SDK (within the Stream board network firmware) which is responsible for all communication to Spotify’s backend.

1 Like

It might be worth adding that neither was Qobuz for several years. In the event it was only when Xandrie appointed a new managing director at Qobuz that the situation changed. Until then Qobuz had publicly stated that they were not even interested in coming to the USA let alone being interested in Roon . The announcement that they were crossing the Atlantic seems to have more or less coincided with opening a dialogue with Roon.

So it seems that personalities can also be a major factor in these issues.

3 Likes

We have a long-standing relationship with Spotify and have been an official partner of Spotify Connect since 2015.

We’re delighted to see the company’s announcement that it will soon be supporting lossless formats – and we’re sure many music lovers will welcome this news.

We cannot comment on this matter, but if you’d like to keep up to date with news from Spotify, you can find details of product announcements and partnerships here:

2 Likes

Very good words James. While there is little reason to think that we Roon users will see this offering integrated into our management software of choice, all dCS users should benefit.

1 Like

Right. Someone once said that in any revolution, one man can make a difference. This is a good reminder Pete that, as Hari has articulated, raising one’s voice in support of something is never a wasted effort.

And… just to stir the stew… “Square” has just purchased controlling interest in Tidal to gain finance relationships with their artists.

Not sure where that puts them in competition with Spotify and Qobuz. Adding Spotify to Roon is a no go. The guppy can’t swallow the whale.

And it appears Apple may be about to beat it to the punch.

1 Like

Yup, they just officially announced it;

Apple Music’s Lossless tier starts at CD quality, which is 16 bit at 44.1 kHz (kilohertz), and goes up to 24 bit at 48 kHz and is playable natively on Apple devices. For the true audiophile, Apple Music also offers Hi-Resolution Lossless all the way up to 24 bit at 192 kHz.

1 Like

Lossless automatically available at zero additional cost next month.

Apple uses ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) to preserve every single bit of the original audio file.

I can already imagine the debates we’re going to see about sound quality differences between Qobuz/FLAC and AppleMusic/ALAC :laughing:

My god, the FLAC/ALAC wars years ago were tiresome.

I wouldn’t get too excited yet. The date of its release is unclear beyond sometime this year but more to the point it will only be available in " selected markets" . Your profile does not indicate where you are ( a useful thing to add or we will recommend things that may not be available to you) so you may or may not be able to get it.

As you have no local files then you must be using Roon only for access to Qobuz or Tidal ( or both). Why not just use dCS Mosaic? Your readiness to ditch Roon if dCS implements Spotify lossless suggests that it isn’t just for the nice graphics.

So, as I understand things, you have a multi thousand $/£/€ Bartok but use it exclusively to play lossy Spotify streams via your phone. Is that correct?

1 Like