Significant Roon Update Coming

as greg said 1.8 on nucleus+ is working good so far for me.stable and snappier than previous release

My install went just fine. So far, so good.

1 Like

Haven’t used it extensively yet, but I’m really liking everything about the new UI :star_struck:

1 Like

My install went fine and quick. Maybe I wish it hadn’t. I have figured workarounds for some redesign issues that impacted how I use Roon but the one major issue left is there is no way to increase the number of albums that display on my laptop or iPad Pro screen. The laptop is down to 12 (2 rows of 6) and the iPad it is down to either 18 or 20 depending on whether I am using it isn horizontal or vertical orientation. That is significantly less than before and a real big issue.

1 Like

Jim, like you, installation was a breeze for me. Most of my dissatisfaction comes with some design takeaways, e.g., tracks in playlist no longer display their album icon, and they lost their numbering [at least on my iPhone]. I also really dislike the jarring mix of Serif & Sans Serif fonts. C’mon, pick a style, any style, but make it a style. This mish-mash is horrible UI. This is from the desktop client, and there is a lot to like here, but font style is not one of them. 1.7 had this correct. And hopefully, this is an easy fix.

Doesn’t look any better in the Light Theme, arguably worse:

These sound trivial, but UI/UX is important to me. Although Roon Radio had some hiccups due to heavy load yesterday, performance has otherwise been just fine. I’ll get used to these changes, if they are not rectified, but once again the Roon team has shown that rollout is not their most adept skillset [they really fubar’ed the non-English speaking customer base]. Nothing here makes me long for Minim, but there are more than a few disgruntled folks over at the Roon Community.

I can live with most of the changes in 1.8. So far I have seen nothing that adds to how I functionally used Roon.

I am really upset with the reduction in albums displayed on my laptop and iPad Pro. I do not understand why they found it necessary to significantly reduce the number of albums displayed. It slows every down and requires you to look at more pages.

Anyone notice a sound quality improvement in 1.8? I was listening this morning and it seems that there was a noticeable SQ improvement in my system. The release notes mention the following change:

"Audio stack improvements

The audio pipeline in the Roon Core has been optimized to reduce memory traffic and CPU usage."

1 Like

I thought the same, better SQ, but attributed it to psychoacoustics :upside_down_face: , new software must be better. But it really does sound better.

On the Roon Community there is a dedicated topic on SQ improvement now:

3 Likes

Happy to report that Roon is now working smoothly. I had to change language in OS in all devices to English. Roon should have thought about this before launching this product.

3 Likes

Two words:

1. Pinot
  2. Noir
6 Likes

Had that today Greg!!

Hear that? Better SQ!

So you’re into Andreas Koch’s toys now … Merlot, Syrah, Pinot
Don’t think he makes them in black though
Playback Designs | the finest audio playback in the world
:wine_glass:

Ha! But no. Although I did look into their Dream line last year before I bought Vivaldi [in silver], I could never get anything arranged, or find anyone I knew who had listened to it.

2 Likes

New fix https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-1-8-build-756-is-live/142151?fbclid=IwAR1IIeEkeeA748kZN6rxAGf6OJwyWdHSVqlbEAir8gkQiTrrvsDOp77CA-g

1 Like

Roon’s official comment on SQ in version 1.8:

Reading that thread is hilarious. It reminds me of a comedy show called Frasier. If you already know of it, forgive me explaining that the lead character is a radio psychiatrist, and one of the other main characters is his brother Niles, also a psychiatrist in private practice:

Frasier: God, I hate lawyers.
Niles: Me too, but they make great patients. They have excellent medical insurance and they never get any better.

Audiophiles. The whirling dervish of responses over there is more fun than the proverbial barrel of monkeys. But on a more serious note, think about Andrew’s statement:

For those who hear a deterioration in SQ with 1.8 - consider changing to a topology that separates the Output from the Core. Any change in SQ between versions of Roon is probably due to the computing load on the Core. Using a network device such as a Roon Ready endpoint or a network adaptor running Roon Bridge will provide some isolation from the Core.

The second sentence only makes any logical sense if the new version has increased the load on the computing Core. Yet, the Roon team specifically mentioned improvements in certain Core processes and efficiencies with 1.8. Just the same, it sounds like we can assume that overall Core CPU load has increased, even if only moderately. For persons running barely-capable-processor devices, this could be material, especially if driving USB. As for the final sentence, well, over here, we all knew that anyway.

Now this, the notion that Roon has improved its DSP performance and SQ, this makes perfect sense:

Maybe that is why I have a better SQ with Roon 1.8 now than with 1.7.

Perhaps, if one is using their DSP and/or not sending the data over network to the DAC. But if either or both is not the case, what would be the explanation?

Why are you using a Roon Nucleus+ ? Because you expect your music data to be delivered to your endpoint better than from, let’s say, a laptop or desktop. Same Roon, same data. However, there is a difference that you like.

My Roon Core is on a powerful desktop. Version 1.8 asks less computing power from it, and that may be why it sounds better now.