Showing (off) your dCS setup - description and photos

Headphones are now set up to the side of my normal divot in the sofa. Just missing the Eksonic T2 that I hope will land soon. (Can heartily recommend working with Kerry and co if you want something to drive the pants off an electrostatic headphone. Also recommended is a CFA3 from a well-regarded builder if you can find one. Mine is from Dukei in Sweden, but I’m not sure he’s in the game any more.)

12 Likes

But you are forgetting to tell us about the HRS Racks :wink:

Oh it’s only weirdos who notice them. (Hi Gregg! :wave::crazy_face:)

Actually, they probably do warrant something slightly less silly than the two lines above. The HRS SXR racks have proven to be more than just a pretty face and a way to drain my bank account. They’ve noticeably improved the way my system sounds. I’d not want to be without them now that they’re in.

(That reminds me – there were such slim audio pickings in NZ that I’m now selling some gear here. Mix of fun, meeting people, and a way to get high off my own supply. It’s extremely unlikely to make me rich in a market this little, and it’s never going to be my day job. Details duly added to my profile to show people that I’m gently less impartial than I used to be. Only gently! :yum::+1:)

4 Likes

Temporary relocated to a bedroom until the lounge refurbishment is completed.

BTW, I connected the Rossini to my router wirelessly using a TP-Link AC1200 Range Extender to provide the ethernet port. Mosaic takes a little time to find the Rossini, but once found Qobuz streams fine.

5 Likes

I really like your Rossini + Vivaldi clock combination Ben. May be opening my wallet for that one sometime…

Love the temporary setup. Bet your previous speaker cables feel too long :slight_smile:

@keiserrg Yep, it’s an amazing pairing. Simple, and a genuinely huge step on from Rossini and Rossini Clock to my ears. Happy boy.

1 Like

@all2ofme : I bet. That combination might be my end point. Vivaldi stack has too much cabling for me. Rossini + Vivaldi clock is probably my “apex”…

…da da dum : )

1 Like

cough … Vivaldi One? :wink:

/me ducksandrunsforcover…

I know the Vivaldi One sounds fantastic, but it’s got a whomping great spinning bit that some of us don’t want! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yep i feel the same, i had a rossini player, was secondhand at a good price, but i didn’t want the player, and only used it a few times just to make sure it still worked.

A new one box vivaldi with clock built in rather than player might suddenly become a best seller, as it’s what most want these day’s, yes i know lot’s still use cd’s especially in Japan, etc. But having this option would certainly be interesting

5 Likes

I agree.

Transport is a problem, plus, if one component goes down (e.g., transport!), the whole unit goes down.

Plus no. 2, I imagine it is very noisy, electrically, inside that box.

Plus no. 3:

dCS marketing materials: “… but listening tests have shown that there is no substitute for a dedicated high quality master clock.”

It basically is built in to all of our units already. We use the same grade crystals inside for example the Vivaldi DAC or Vivaldi One as we do in the Vivaldi Clock, but…

This. A large part of the Master Clock is the separate chassis, power supply, dedicated clock circuitry with nothing else to do etc.

But just so I understand Duncan, you’d be in favour of an all in one Vivaldi unit with no CD mech?

4 Likes

I will let Duncan answer for himself, just sharing my two cents:

dCS has a great! product, and has been my only listening source for over a decade now. However, since we are talking about new products, there are advantages in MSB’s simple architecture that should be considered:

Two boxes
One DAC + Clock (no transport)
One dedicated power supply
Pro-ISL interface to eliminate network noise

I’d much rather dedicate my $ to the DAC and Power than to cabling. Just say’in…

1 Like

Basically yes, the one thing that put me off the vivaldi was all the boxes just to play streamed music.
Yes the vivaldi sounds wonderful, but i would have been happy with a one box solution like the vivaldi one, but without the transport.
Yes i get it might be slightly compromised, but i am sure you could isolate it all very well, and even give it separate power supplies.
But a one box, with vivaldi dac, apex out boards, vivaldi upsampler, and streamer, plus top quality clock all linked together, would have been my go to product if it existed.
Just buy the transport if you want it like you can now.
But it would save money on expensive case work, as just one big case, rather than three, plus cables, shelves needed, etc.

I think it would certainly sell better than the vivaldi one, especially in the uk.
I would also do the same for the rossini range.

But maybe add a 10 mhz clock connection like you do on the vivaldi clock, and then produce your own 10 mhz clock for people that want to go down this road.

Obviously i don’t know what dCS is planning next, and having already invested heavily into my new vivaldi apex dac, and new upsampler early this year, a product like this is maybe a bit late for me ( but willing to try one ) but for future customers, it’s probably a good way to go

1 Like

Similar here (to add my 2 cents)
I would go for an all in one Vivaldi inclusive of streaming - and would not be adverse to the option of an external clock as an upgrade. Net total - 2 boxes.

There are several of us on this forum who are long term Naim users. After so many years box fatigue has set in. Many on the Naim forum long for a 500 level single box integrated.

My dream would be that plus a single box Vivaldi w/ option for external clock upgrade (which I imagine most would go for).

Best
Gregg

• actually my true dream would be a single box aka Linn NGDS into active speakers. The problem is I just upgraded my Linn Klimax DS Katalyst to Organik spec…and my Rossini+Clock still thrashes it :laughing:
1 Like

Count me in for Vivaldi with ethernet as one box…I once had Naim too and got rid off it because PSUs for everything…My dealer confirmed that Naim’s higher end line struggles in sales because customers don’t want to have a black box zoo…

2 Likes

Completed redoing the downstairs - primarily hardwoods and refinishing/staining, etc. System was moved to the 2d floor - spread out everywhere in boxes or covered with moving cloths, etc. Now, all back together making good music. Glad I had a set of Wilson sliders available for relocating those speakers. Anyways, no more home (nor audio) upgrades for quite some time.

20 Likes

Yum! And thanks for getting the thread back on track :joy:

4 Likes

Hi Robert,

Congrats and nice reel-to-reel you have there! A Akai GX-400D. Is it still working fine, after 50 years?

Thank-you & yes sir Erno. Bought it in 1974 while in Okinawa for $735. Original box, papers, receipt, etc. The thing has been all over the world and not one scratch/dent. Had the heads reconditioned/relapped by JRF Magnetic Sciences a few years ago (they, at the time did all the maintenance on the R-R decks for the US Library of Congress).

4 Likes