Showing (off) your dCS setup - description and photos

Got it. I wanted to make sure you know that queue can be set to “consume” or stay in queue?

1 Like

In Conductor, if you slow touch an album a pop-up menu appears. Select “Replace queue” to play the album and remove anything that was in the queue before.

1 Like

Hello Everyone,

I don’t have a photo, and certainly I don’t have anything that can rival anything here, but I thought I’d say Hello because earlier today I installed a Puccini (yep, I know this is an old bit of kit) into my system. That triggered me joining these forums as, sounds a bit daft, I would have felt a bit like an impostor being here before I owned a piece of dCS equipment.

I’ve loved the dCS sound since way back when the Ring DAC first appeared in the higher end Arcam CD players. Going from there to here over the last … too many … years has been a wonderful journey. I’m hoping it continues well into the future.

9 Likes

Welcome aboard, Steve. The dCS trip will be a wonderful journey, enjoy!

Welcome Steve and I hope that you will find this forum interesting, helpful and friendly.

OK the Puccini isn’t part of the current range but it’s great that you have it and I am sure that it will bring many rewards. Lots of things are discussed here and some may interest you in general terms, others provide insight into the current dCS world and you may well find topics that concern your Puccini and its surrounding system directly.

I would mention that dCS is a terrific company and supports its products as best it can in order to ensure a long life.

5 Likes

I will add a cautious caveat to @PAR’s support comment:

Unless there is a technical reason I am not aware of, dCS could have supported the Puccini Player as a Roon endpoint, but chose not to. The Paganini is of the same generation and is supported. This means Puccini users must purchase the (also discontinued) Network Bridge (or other) to bring a “real” digital experience to this beautifully designed product : /

Not a technical reason but a very persuasive one why not. Vivaldi became available to order in the summer of 2013 ( announced the end of 2012 I believe). Once a new platform is announced the units of the previous range swiftly become legacy items. dCS effectively signed off Puccini and Paganini by releasing final software updates in August and December 2013 respectively. Neither offered Roon nor could they. Why? Roon Labs was not even formed as a company until 2015.

As you said a cautious caveat and I in relation I am afraid your memory is incorrect. Incidently I owned Paganini at the time.

1 Like

While it may be true that my memory is not as sharp as it was when I was a younger man, these are the facts of this matter:

The Paganini and Puccini are same generation. Roon lists Paganini as a Roon endpoint. Puccini is not. Since Roon postdates the Vivaldi launch, therefore the Roon Paganini upgrade also took place after the Vivaldi launch. QED.

https://roon.app/en/partners/3/dcs

Launching a new top of the line range (Vivaldi) is not a good reason to deny functionality to the lowest end of the range (Puccini), who users may leave the brand for another platform. Puccini (and now Bartok) users do not jump to Vivaldi.

Again, barring technical details I may not be aware of, dCS had the opportunity to make Puccini Roon ready. This would have enabled been a much better digital experience for the users of this product, instead of USB via computer and/or adding Network Bridge. It chose not to.

I can only presume that Roon have made an error in their webpage as posted by you.

Roon Labs was formed after both Paganini and Puccini ceased production. You may find their software histories here :

Further the above Roon page whilst showing a link to Paganini actually links to Rossini Apex. There is another error in that if Paganini had Roon then so would Scarlatti ( functionally identical) but they do not list it.

I have asked Danny, COO of Roon, and will revert.

There is no disagreement that Puccini, Paganini, and Vivaldi were introduced prior to Roon.

Either way, I stand by my position that dCS could have and should have supported Roon for the Puccini.

Hi Keiserrg,

I’m afraid the Puccini could never be made “Roon Ready”.

Please be aware that neither the Puccini or Paganini can function as Roon Endpoints (which is required for “Roon Ready” certification) as neither have any form of network connectivity so to surmise that the Paganini has somehow been supported moving forward with the addition of Roon support whereas the Puccini has been left behind or abandoned would be incorrect.

The Puccini Player only has normal digital audio inputs and as such cannot be certified / verified by Roon as - at least as far as Roon and any Roon endpoint devices are concerned - the Puccini would just be a simple DAC like any other DAC and therefore wouldn’t get tested or certified / validated by Roon.

The Paganini by contrast has a USB audio input and as such that is something that can be verified by Roon as working with their Roon Endpoints by ensuring that it complies with the Class 1 or Class 2 USB audio standards so that if it is attached to a Roon Endpoint via USB (and the Endpoint supports USB attached DACs) then the Endpoint is able to correctly identify the audio devices capabilities and hence use it as an audio output device.

Roon are listing the Paganini as “Roon tested” (as they do the Debussy) and this is absolutely correct.

Remember that the Vivaldi DAC itself is not a Roon Ready / Roon Endpoint device - it too is listed as “Roon tested” which is correct. Roon Endpoint / Roon Ready functionality is provided by the Vivaldi Upsampler and similarly the dCS Network Bridge was developed to bring streaming audio functionality to those earlier dCS units that were unable to support that themselves.

I hope this clarifies any confusion…

BR

Phil

3 Likes

Hi Phil,
Thank you for the thorough reply.

Couldn’t the Puccini be Roon ready through the U-clock?

Apologies for the confusion. It is clear that the Puccini alone could not be made to be Roon ready.

Thank you
R

Hi Keiserrg,

I’m afraid not … to be “Roon Ready” would require that the unit is able to function as a Roon Endpoint and that would, as a first port of call, need Ethernet or WiFi connectivity and that’s leaving aside things like having enough processing inside the box to be able to run the Roon Endpoint code.

BR

Phil

1 Like

Thank you for the further clarification @Phil.

Your explanation is now consistent with what Roon says:

Danny: “It’s [Paganini] Roon Tested (Firewire 1394 if I remember correctly), not Roon Ready. It does not stream RAAT. I don’t think it has any network capabilities.”

Also Danny corrected the link I referenced in my prior post, that Pete rightly pointed out was jumping to the Rossini.

I misinterpreted Roon citing the Paganini as “Roon tested” as evidence that Roon was also possible directly through the Puccini, and now I know that was wrong.

Thanks to Phil and @PAR for clarifying the matter. Now I feel even better about my Rossini decision : )

4 Likes

Few system changes here.

Swapped 115V for 230V, and one country for another.

More changes to come (these speakers and the lack of room treatment are the limiting factors for now), but I’m loving my Rossini Apex and the darTZeel gear. So happy :slight_smile:

23 Likes

Lovely room Ben!! :+1:t2:

By the way, is that an actual sloping roof (or just camera illusion)? And did you consider taking advantage of that slope by having your speakers point down the elevating roof?

1 Like

Thanks, Anup :blush:

Yeah, it is a sloping roof. Quite big room too — it’s almost 11.7m long and 6m wide. 3.4m tall on the right-hand side, and 2.7m on the left-hand side.

It’s a rental, so I’ve not gone too overboard on the room itself yet. But it measures reasonably well with REW already. Some first reflection points to treat as per usual, and some bass I’d like to tame. Been reading about using subs (perhaps more than one, à la the Swarm setup), but I should probably be a bit sensible and do most of this once I have the actual speakers I’ll be living with for the next while (Von Schweikert Ultra 55s, which are rather more full range than the VR2s I hauled out of storage to use in the meantime).

Do you think I should try firing the speakers from L to R (when viewed as in the pic), or from R to L? Happy to try things if good results are likely. Moving components and racks is still fresh, so any movements will blend into one period of hellishness once I’m done…

Ahh.

Yes actually, definitely worth a try.

Are you not specifying L>R or R>L because you’re a monster and want me to try both? :slight_smile:

Oops, missed that… Definitely Left-to-Right, meaning the Speakers against the left wall facing your right window/wall.