Showing (off) your dCS setup - description and photos

It’s probably obvious to everyone here, but when the DAC is plugged in direct to the amp and say the speakers are playing at 70dB the voltage coming out of the DAC is the same regardless what output voltage on the DAC is selected. However the digital volume will be different. The ideal voltage output may requiring changing depending on the source. I listen via streaming from the upsampler and via toslink from a Sony TV. Because the TV is much louder than the stream I use 0.2 volts for TV and 0.6 or higher for streaming. For example, if I use 0.2 output for both TV and streaming then with TV volume control is set to -5 to 0 for a comfortable level. But stream would be -20 for the same speaker output. It would be great if DCS allowed saving different output levels per input. If this isn’t possible in the hardware it is possible for mosaic to send multiple commands, much like the Logitech Harmony remotes.

That would be extremely valuable, especially for those of us driving our power amps directly. I had a scary moment before Christmas where one of the Strutslets inadvertently started streaming from Spotify (using Connect) at full volume which although it only lasted a split second is probably one of the loudest things I have ever been exposed to. Luckily neither my guests nor my speakers seemed to suffer any permanent damage much, I suspect, down to the incredibly undistorted power delivery of my Nord Three amp. I will add this to the feature requests thread.

Like many others, I use Rossini as a digital hub with various inputs and often encounter variations in loudness. Having an input gain adjustment for each input would be beneficial. From a technical standpoint, a global volume normalization feature might be a more straightforward solution compared to individual gain adjustments for each input. Additionally, even within the same input, such as when switching between different Netflix and YouTube content, there are noticeable variations in loudness. Therefore, a very useful feature would be the quick access to a few different preset volume levels.

You mean dynamic compression? That’s what it always ends up as.

1 Like

I think I was slightly confused, so I deleted my earlier reply. After checking further on Wiki, I can confirm that global volume normalization and dynamic range compression manipulate audio levels in fundamentally different ways. Here’s a summary of what I read and understand: Volume normalization focuses on maintaining consistent loudness across different tracks without altering the internal dynamics of each track. In contrast, dynamic range compression aims to reduce the range between the loudest and softest parts within a track.

Added here. Please feel free to comment or “vote” if you would find this useful.

What I liked, a long time ago, while reading this thread, was watching the pictures of the stereo of the other members of this forum…But it was a long time ago…

6 Likes

Agreed. Things have deviated .Let’s try to keep to the topic.

1 Like

19 Likes

Ah, here is something nice :wink:

3 Likes

Finally ready to show my system. Vivaldi, Boulder 2160 amp, Rockport Cygnus speakers, Iconoclast cables. I had the room built when we built the house so I was able to optimize (or attempt to) for audio. I used an online calculator to tune the dimensions (27 x 16 x 11 feet). Walls are angled in 6 inches back to front, ceiling is angled down 6 inches back to front. Corners are all 45 degrees. Standing waves are non-existent and bass is very smooth. But I had a ton of echo, well over 1/2 second. Adding bass traps in all 4 corners and absorbers on the wall, and crown molding removed the echo. Room now sounds very nice. If you look close you see fabric in the wood panels, behind the fabric is 4 inches of rock wool. Separate dedicated AC lines for DAC and TV. Boulder amp is powered via 240 volt line. I have an Intel NUC running Roon ROCK in the Harry Potter room located down the hall. The Boulder is sitting on a granite slab, the DCS components are on some relatively low cost stands (wood with spikes). My theory is by isolating each device to its own stand and having minimal material to vibrate that stands/racks are less likely to vibrate, plus I seldom listen above 75 dB. For those who don’t know, the Boulder is rated for 600 watts at 8 ohms and 2400 watts at 2 ohms and class A to full power, it never goes to class AB. Clarity of this amp is astounding and I feel it’s an excellent match to the Vivaldi. So why so much power for 75 dB? Because it sounds so much better then the Boulder 1160 which is a class AB amplifier.

27 Likes

Now we’re talking! Jealous of the system, but even more of the room. Have you measured it in REW? If so I would love to see the curves just to see how far one can get with an approach like yours. You seem to have done all the things that I would love to be able to do in my own room but am unable to for domestic reasons, and have had to try to “simulate” with DRC. You didn’t mention the carpet, the absence of which was the first thing that struck me in your first picture from years ago. Kudos (drool)!

1 Like

I l don’t really like the look of carpet, but it seems necessary to control reverb. Our family room is wood and it is loud. I didn’t do REW yet but I have the program on my laptop and purchased a mic, I just need to do it. I did play some tones and pink noise and used the Sound Tools app to measure Hz response. I have a bump in the upper bass, I don’t recall the exact Hz. At some time I need to run the tests and move the speakers to try to lessen the bump, but I really don’t notice it when listening to music. Playing tones was an eye opener and I recommend everyone do it. Sound Tools app is free and I used Vandersteen tones which I found online. The speakers are good to 20 KHz as confirmed by the app. I was rather surprised the iPhone mic could pic up 20 KHz. These tests showed me that I can hear to 14 KHz. My 9 year old twins can hear to 16 KHz. So this 20 to 20K hearing we all know about is likely wishful thinking for most people, even young ones.

3 Likes

Absolutely georgeous Mark. I’m so glad you shared these!

1 Like

Fitted carpets are a complete aesthetic no-no in Sweden so we have a big rug. Don’t like the look of that either - but I love what it does to the sound!

I am now so audioscarred that when I look at a stylish minimally furnished room with a beautiful hardwood floor I just thing “Jeez, imagine the RT60 on that!

1 Like

Just reminded me of one of the annual Penta h-ifi shows at Heathrow in the '80s or '90s. Yes an exhibitor was demonstrating a special Italian Hi Fi rug! No doubt that’s what you have :wink:.

2 Likes

Say what? Please can you post a link!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No link I’m afraid. I was standing next to the well known reviewer Ken Kessler who was just moving off saying that he had to go and review a *&!!ing rug.

I remember it had a well known Italian fashion brand label which I think was Missoni. BTW, they were not the guilty party but someone else who was retailing the rug. Yet another example of these things that come along from time to time where the seller thinks by adding “audio” or “hi-fi” to an otherwise commonplace item he can attach a premium price to it. Chairs come to mind as well.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be so quick as to say that a chair (or a rug…mebbe) can’t improve how live music and our stereos sound.

That spike I sat on for the three-hour Ween concert in London really affected my enjoyment of “Mutilated lips”. And the 5º-out-of-whack rug underneath our sofa at home really messed with the soundstaging until I realised that it was either a crooked rug/sofa or my head not being on straight. (I’ve had a head realignment since, and am so glad that I didn’t need to move the rug.)

1 Like

Mix of carpeting and wooden floors here, plus lots and lots of wallspace covered in art. What we call art, anyway…

I’m so, so glad that our RT60 is ok here. (I’d encourage people to measure with a cheap mic and Room EQ Wizard — so interesting, and helps identify problems you may not know you have.)

Gorgeous setup @Mark1961!

2 Likes