Shortlist of Pre-amps for Bartok into Active ATC System Please

Tastes differ.

Recently, two Stereophile writers have been discussing a listening comparison of two excellent power amplifiers. The two agreed on their perceptions of the audible difference, but not on its likely basis. One suggested that it could be due to one amp doing something to reveal more low-level recorded detail. The other, who heard the same difference, insisted it is due to the other amp removing something. In the absence of any objective reference or evidence, we can only regard these as expressions of philosophical differences. However, with the LA4, I had an objective reference.

By physically connecting the input XLR cables directly to the output XLR cables, I could compare the sound of the LA4 at unity gain to that of a bypass with the DACs connected directly to the power amps—ie, it was the LA4 vs nada. I failed to hear any change in balance, tonality, dynamics, details, or soundstage. The LA4 seemed to neither add nor subtract anything. On the other hand, compared to the other preamps on hand, the LA4 was consistently quieter, more open, and more revealing of detail.

From: https://www.stereophile.com/content/benchmark-la4-line-preamplifier-page-2

Indeed they do. I’m not quite sure what the point of this discussion is. You asked for my assessment, and I provided it. Apparently, you disagree with it, and you cited “higher authority” (Stereophile :man_shrugging:) to back your perspective. That’s fine, but it has nothing to do with my assessment, which was candidly provided (and based on my own listening, not a reviewer’s). None of this changes the fact that I did not want to add an active gain stage. One can find ardent supporters of almost any piece of kit. As I have said many times in this forum, I would never tell another human how to spend their money. If you love the Benchmark, great! Go for it! What does that have to do with my selection of passive pre components?

Both myself and a fellow forum member tried the Benchmark HPA4. I tried it strictly as a headphone amplifier while he tried it as a pre as well. We both came to the same conclusion as quoted above . Then again we both are diehard “Naimees” so many things do not grab us. PRAT and all that - we are ruined for life.

Similar to other conversations in that measurements are not everything. Naim gear does not necessarily measure the best - but don’t try to take our green logo boxes away from us!

3 Likes

I did not mean to say you are wrong, neither that I am right. I said “tastes differ”.

My opinion of the HPA4 as a completely neutral preamp is backed by a Stereophile reviewer, but that still does not mean it is the only possible assessment. You find it a bit sterile, I find it accurate, but still involving. It is for me not an end game preamp. It lacks some back to front dimensionality.

The LA4/ HPA4 is an objective reference standard though. Which you can like, or not.

In chemistry or physics these exist to measure purity or accuracy

We are on a dCS forum which has technically-led product development; measurement can lead to great things once you reach the listening stage

To me reference standards are not useful once product is released into the subjective world of hifi choice where, as you say, tastes differ

Here listening is the only truth

Offered for debate, not trolling :grin:

1 Like

Of course I agree, objective reference standard because of its measurements, subjective assessment by just listening.

Erno, you didn’t say anything wrong at all. I apologize for my crankiness; please forgive me. I was getting pretty frustrated with continued quarantine, while I waited for delayed test results following recent travel. But that’s not an excuse. Again, my apologies.

2 Likes

No problem Greg. I hope your test results were what you were hoping for.

Oh yeah, all good; because I do still travel, I get tested regularly, and all have been negative. I knew my risk was very low [thereby likely adding to the frustration]. I’m not whackadoodle about all this; just reasonably prudent for myself given my age and cancer history [I get my second vaccine shot this Friday], but I do go to great lengths to protect my wife who is very vulnerable and has not yet been vaccinated. :man_shrugging:

We are all going through these cumbersome times, waiting to get ours and ourselves protected. It is just over when we are all there, together. Good to hear you will get your second shot soon! My wife and I are still waiting, like your wife.

2 Likes

Interesting topic. I’m owner of 50ASLT and SCA2 peramp. Why isn’t their own preamp considered in the first place?
I really like how it works with my Bartok, and also that using SCA2 remote I can control the Bartok’s playback.
I also have a SPH2 phono board installed, but I still have not used it, although it is very interesting to me how will sound Vinyl and what level this board is))

I’m afraid to even imagine how Vivaldi sounds on ATC!
This could probably be the final combo))

1 Like

As Rolls Royce historically disclosed their cars’ performance figures only as “adequate” I can assure you that the combination of Vivaldi and ATC active monitors provides entirely adequate sound quality :grinning:.

3 Likes

Sue Townshend shipped me an Allegri + recently along with 3 sets of Fractal F1 (2 x RCA, 1 x XLR) for trial with a brace of Chord DACs, MScaler, Prima and Etude. All for a reasonable deposit.

I subsequently bought the Fractal XLRs from Sue with a better price and service than via any UK dealer with their own overheads and margins to protect. I will probably add a pair of RCAs from DAC to pre in due course.

Thanks to this thread and @PAR ‘a recommendation I took delivery today of a SPL Phonitor 2 and it has made a positive difference in my system twixt Hugo2 and Etude. It has a hard act to follow my departed Naim 252/ SuperCapDR, and is a good substitute, if not quite the 252’s refinement- at 12% of the price RRP…

I have gone with this and my MScaler / Hugo 2 rather than add in a £9k Dave (price rise September), and gives some future funds for potentially converting my NWB into a Bartok…

1 Like