Rossini player+Blue Hawaii SE+ Stax sr-x9000

Thanks Andre. My dealer told me to player around with the both Rossini payer and the BHSE’s volume knobs to find a good setting for me. I took the easy way out by setting either one to the max. And with all you gents help, I discovered it was indeed my headphone’s doing. Now with the X9000 packed away ready to send back to the manufacturer for check up, I may use my time do what you suggested (read up on the topic) and play around the volume settings on the Rossini and BHSE with my old 009 & 009S.

I must say I am very blown away by the the Rossini player on how much information it retrieves. Can’t wait to get the X9000 back.

1 Like

I concurred with your findings on X9000 which needs more power. I had to turned the volume knob up not just a little but significantly. I even switched the Rossini output voltage to 6V!! It just happened that mine is defective. Sounded edgy and scratchy. I was so looking forward to it…. I guess I will settle for the 009& 009S for the time being. Thanks for your help!!

Sorry to hear the headphones have to go back to be looked at, but I suspect you’ll find them a level above the SR-009s once they return :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Jeremy, yeah it was a bummer that I had to send it back. I hope they won’t sent it back to Japan…. That will take some time.

We finally figured it out by eliminating all sort of issues and problems. Thanks to all of you gents wanting to help me. I am so grateful and blown away with people on this forum just marvelous!! Thank you!!

2 Likes

You may find the distributor can repair them, I guess it’ll depend on what needs replacing. Glad we were collectively able to help :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is not the best idea with Stax electrostatics. They really belong back at Stax Japan and opened up in their “clean” room. That is what I would want with a pair of X9000

4 Likes

If it’s the driver, absolutely. If it was a faulty cable, these can be easily replaced on the SR-X9000.

Unfortunately, I suspect the driver is more likely.

1 Like

A cable does not even require a trip back to the dealer. The X9000 has removable cables.

If the original poster believes it could simply be a cable issue there are two sets included in the box. A very easy test to perform.

3 Likes

Good point, I’d forgotten there was a second cable in the box

1 Like

While I realize the convenience of controlling the volume via Roon you may want to try bypassing the Rossini volume pot and using the RK50 in your Birgir amp. Me thinks it may sound better. Worth a try

2 Likes

Thanks, Glen. I’ll give it a go.

It would have to make a significant difference to make it worthwhile for much of my listening (at least while I’m sat at my desk). I tend to find the volume of the tracks I play vary so much that I adjust the volume on each one and I suspect getting up and walking six meters every three minutes would disrupt whatever else I’m doing at the time (but might help with my fitness!).

This is less of a problem with classical music, but definitely an issue with rock music…

1 Like

Hi Glen, I did use the second set of cable and found the problem still existed. So the cables are fine (I even check/ change the XLR cables from Rossini to BHSE). So it is definitely the drivers (you would think that only one side would be faulty but in my case both sides are faulty). Rare situation…. I guess just bad luck.

Jeremy and Glen: As for Rk50 volume control…. Rossini to me is a source and (with the pre amp build in or not) I always wants it to have the maximum output (on some regular DACs sometime have both fixed and variable output; I always set them to fixed. This doesn’t mean the voltage output has to be @ 6V on the Rossini; I found 2V was enough for the 009 & 009S) to the BHSE. And that extra $1K we paid on the RK50 for the BHSE… that’s why I set the Rossini volume to 0.0dB and use the BHSE to control the volume. Though it is nice to control the volume either via Roon or dCS Mosaic app. But since it is headphone set up, I am right next to both units. So changing the volume using Roon or Mosaic is not an issue. I tend to agree with Glen on this setting. I was try to find out which part of the chain had problem so I tried all settings to eliminate bits by bits.

Again thank you both for your continuous help, sharing information and suggestions. :pray:t2:

1 Like