Rossini DAC innards

Does anyone have a photo of the Rossini DAC with the top cover off? Very curious about its innards, and only photos that I can find online are of the Rossini Player. Yes, I could take the cover off and see for myself in person, but it’s in a rack with no easy access and I can’t lift anything at the moment due to a medical condition.

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link to the Hi-Fi News review of the Rossini DAC and Transport. Excellent interior shots of both components:

3 Likes

Excellent Sir! Thank you so much!

In case you wonder how the Rossini Clock looks from the inside, here is the only pic I could find:

2 Likes

Thanks Erno!

In contrast to most dCS products the clock seems well equipped with quantities of the breathable stuff :wink:.

The innards of the dCS clocks vary considerably regarding breathability :grinning:

dcs-puccini-u-clock
Puccini U-Clock

dcs-paganini-clock
Paganini clock

Scarlatti Clock

Vivaldi clock

1 Like

Thanks Erno.

The Puccini U clock seems to have been about as basic as dCS were prepared to go at the time. Scarlatti appears to have a superior PS compared to Paganini but the board seems similar albeit rotated through 90 degrees. I think that Paganini is v.1 as later versions included a USB input and S/Pdif output which I don’t see from the picture.

Do you know what the white PCB material used in Vivaldi is?

Solder resist application

Areas that should not be soldered may be covered with solder resist (solder mask). The solder mask is what gives PCBs [Printed Circuit Boards] their characteristic green color, although it is also available in several other colors, such as red, blue, purple, yellow, black and white. One of the most common solder resists used today is called “LPI” (liquid photoimageable solder mask). A photo-sensitive coating is applied to the surface of the PWB [When a PCB has no components installed, it is less ambiguously called a printed wiring board (PWB) or etched wiring board.], then exposed to light through the solder mask image film, and finally developed where the unexposed areas are washed away.

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printed_circuit_board

2 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, dCS no longer use those white laminate motherboards - I don’t know who supplies those PCBs to dCS.

Mark Levinson (the company) used to use ARLON PCBs for all their reference components, they had better dielectric and noise immunity properties compared to standard PCB.

3 Likes

This picture makes me feel a bit dirty.