Rossini APEX upgrade

Yes I understand the impact of Apex will depend on the system resolution and synergy.

One way to get, effectively, a very large library but use a minimal path to playback in Mosaic is to serve the library over UPnP with MinimServer (and other solutions, but this one is robust). My perception is it sounds slightly better than Roon over RAAT.

I am having a difficult time contemplating whether to upgrade my Rossini Player to Apex. My first Player had a CD drawer that wouldn’t close, would turn on itself when shut off, and eject CD’s at random. The second player will turn on itself when shut off, and eject CD’s at random. My dealer states it’s the DCS “ghost”, DCS claims it doesn’t happen and that my dealer and myself are just plain nuts! Have to admit, I may be looking at an Esoteric K-01xd or a Luxman D-10x as a replacement…the DCS unit is a lot of money to pay for such a “quirky” machine.

I have a Rossini Player that I did upgrade to APEX.

I don’t ever turn it off, so I can’t speak to that, but I’ve never had the disc tray unexpectedly eject.

The drawer on your first not closing sounds like a physical defect, but the other symptoms, especially as they’ve occurred with two Rossini Players, sounds more like a remote code collision with some other device than anything else.

For example, if I hit different sequences of buttons on my DISH Network remote, it will either:

1. Dim the display on my Ayre preamp
  2. Power on my Audio Research phono stage

Not weirdness, just the fact that most companies purchase their remote control technology from a handful of suppliers and code collisions can and do occur, especially given how many different remotes are in just one system.

2 Likes

Just my two cents here, given respectfully as a long time (and stubborn) disk spinner: digitize the collection, ditch the player, get the DAC. No moving parts. Longevity. Simplicity. You will never look back.

: )

R

7 Likes

We’ve removed all the remotes from the room but still it would persist, possibly coming from a neighbors house of sorts, we’re not sure. The dealer’s units DO turn on all by themselves from time to time but he has never had the “eject” issue that I get quite regularly. He laughs at suggesting perhaps it’s my wife sneaking in the room, hitting the button then getting out quick before being discovered…just to mess with me!

1 Like

Well, I never turn my RP off, so there’s never a mysterious power on for me.

I always have a signal going through mine 24x365 though obviously it isn’t always a CD.

Respectfully, I do have my CDs ripped but bought the RP because I prefer to play discs.

3 Likes

I prefer spinning disks too, but the transport will eventually fail.

Less moving parts = less points of failure = more : )

2 Likes

At which point I will have it replaced, purchase a CD transport or perhaps the dCS Transport (then I can play my SACDs, too.)

2 Likes

So after several months with the Rossini Apex I have to say it continues to sound exciting. Always surprised by the crispness of cymbals and the tight punchy bass. There’s realistic separation in the soundstage and nothing gets lost in the background. I hear a few new details in the favorites. All instruments and voices sound separate and real.

9 Likes

Same here! Now I’m really curious about the Vivaldi Apex though - Ugh!

2 Likes

Hi there,
I don’t know how old the Rossini Player/DAC is but it might need some adjustment service for it’s disc tray. Over time the adjustment could change and as a result the disc tray could open by itself. Your dealer knows how to adjust it, as there is a guideline from dCS how to adjust it.
When I did get the Apex upgrade, I was allowed to be at the surgery :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
The Dutch Distributor wasn’t satisfied by how the disc tray was positioned. He adjusted it and at a certain point (even looking good and tight) it was to tight and opened itself. So new adjustment needed and solved the problem.

I hope this could be in your situation the solution to overcome this “problem”.

Jeff

Were you in contact with Olaf from More Music ?

Yes indeed I was :blush:

He did the same for me and I was present too. Excellent job and he is a great professional. We are lucky in Benelux.