Roon nucleus upsampling

Many thanks Anup- I’ll contact roon!

The nucleus is probably not strong enough to upsample. If you play the regular file without upsampling it works fine, right? I did a similar test with my W11 PC i7 and it has no trouble doing it. Not even to DSD128. I’m curious what Roon thinks about this, if you get an answer at all…

Thanks Ruud- yes, normal files play without any stress…

On the Roon community there is this info regarding upsampling on a Nucleus/ Nucleus+ : please read through the thread:

hmmm …it seems really that my HW is too weak for DSP upsampling when even a Nucleus + has some issues…

I’m not that familiar with the hardware specs of the Roon Nucleus, and while I’m a big proponent of having a beefy machine running Roon Core (like Erno’s), I find it very hard to believe that an intel Core i3 machine would struggle with Roon Upsampling to DXD. :thinking:

I run RoonServer (no UI) on a dedicated machine with a 6-core Intel Core i7 2.3GHz/16G RAM. I just checked its CPU utilisation while streaming with Roon DSP enabled and Upsampling to DXD, it was only 2.96% sustained. Although I’ve not tried it myself, I’ve read of even a Raspberry Pi4 with embedded HQPlayer being able to handle PCM Upsampling to DXD rates.

Unless Roon ROCK on the Nucleus is incredibly inefficient, my guess is something else is going wrong in your setup, not raw CPU grunt of the Roon Nucleus.

How big is your Roon album/track database? What are all the elements involved between your Roon Nucleus to your Rossini? Is it just one Ethernet Switch, or more? And you mentioned a NAS, how’s that connected to the system?

1 Like

Not sure if this helps but there is some info on IPv6 settings as well as stuff in the advanced network settings for flow control and also router specific settings advice in this link

1 Like

Many thanks Anup,
I have roughly 4500 albums stored on Melco NAS.
Setup: Innuos switch as the hub/center, connected to this is the Melco, dCS, Nucleus and wlan router.
Nucleus has problems with upsampling even with its internal stored music (I use a Samsung 1TB SSD for fun with 10 albums stored).

Your album count seems well below any serious performance thresholds, and is within Roon’s Nucleus’ typical usage specifications.

I also noticed that in your Roon Signal path pic, it shows “Processing speed: 20.2x ” ← which suggests your Roon Nucleus has plenty of CPU performance headroom! (see Roon’s explanation of what that number means).

Based on those two factors, it seems the Nucleus’ CPU performance is not the main bottleneck here.

Since your local files stored on the Nucleus SSD also exhibits the same issues, that means the Melco or any link to it, is not the issue either.

I would have suspected your Innuos Switch as a possible culprit, but seems like Nucleus USB to Rossini also shows the same problem (or worse?). Did you use USB re-clocker between Nucleus and Rossini?

Hmmm. Weird. Contradictory clues :grin: :thinking:

Big thanks Anup for you responses!
I don’t use a re-clocker, it’s straight connected with Tellurium USB cable to dCS. My guess now is a HW issue. Doesn’t matter if using USB or NAS- same issues.
As mentioned, I contacted roon sending them my nucleus serial number and account ID- hope they can find something…

1 Like

You may really want to look into the flow control setting on your network switch, I had similar “too many dropouts issue” when a firmware upgrade on my switch changed a setting and I had to change it manually back. Also I think the IGMP snooping had to be disabled

Hi VGAustin,
many thanks for this hint- but I have drop-outs even with the internal SSD direct attached USB to dCS- so no switch/network is involved in that specific set-up. That playing music from internal storage causes this is really strange…

Aha! Sorry, I should have realized that! My bad, the issue bothered me so much I pushed that solution but missed out on your situation with the direct USB attached. Apologies and I wish you luck on finding a solution, it is a bummer!

Many thanks VGAustin- no problem! This forum is fantastic, I really want to thank you all for your support!

1 Like

Ok, as promised:-) here’s the roon feedback:
That is strange, the buffer is at 100% when the dropout occurs, I’m thinking this error could be DAC-specific.
What happens if they try to upsample the stream to another rate, 192 or 352.8 or DSD, does the issue still occur?
Are they using the latest firmware on the dCS? If they try to upsample TIDAL/Qobuz content, does that work? "

I tested this and - indeed- only with the PCM Max setting “on” I got drop-outs. Everything else works. So I set roon now to 352.8 or DSD without any problems:-)

Thanks folks!

1 Like

Glad that it’s somewhat solved without replacing the Nucleus :grin:

Very strange though. When I tested my Bartok it was with “Max PCM rate” and there was no problem. Curious why it’s a problem on the Rossini (maybe I should try on my Vivaldi Upsampler as well and see what happens. :thinking:)

ps: Roon Upsampling works just fine with the Vivaldi Upsampler :grin:

1 Like

Ouch- thanks Anup, but the “V” thing is out of my reach :slight_smile:

Roon Nucleus HW crashed, goes back to dealer now…seems there is a problem with internal storage they say…

Just curious, and not trying to be rude (I also own a Nucleus, and am a fan)…

Why do you seek to upsample with Roon/Nucleus instead of letting the $25k+ Rossini do it?

Do you expect the upsampling by Roon to yield a superior result?

hi keiserrg,
I just wanted to find out how it sounds. But now it doesn’t work anyway- it seems that the internal flash/ssd of roon is buggy .

1 Like