Roon 2.0 is coming

Wetl pleased so far with 2.0 and ARC. But ARC will be much more useful when it is made CarPlay-capable (which is on their road map).

3 Likes

I have a rather sudden work trip that has come up. Downloaded some albums and looking forward to taking my own private streaming service along for the flight and trip. Having my local library available on the go at the click of a button is just fantastic. I have been waiting for Arc for a long time! Never been happier to be a Roon subscriber :star_struck:

3 Likes

Years ago I bought a lifetime subscription – great decision! Roon has been fantastic and keeps getting better. ARC has worked without a hitch.

5 Likes

Quite happy too! all I care about is being able to download a bunch of albums from my library and play them when I travel for work.

And for those who want absolute proof that the ARC player is bit perfect - you can rest easy - I dowloaded the RME BIT test files and all pass through ARC on iOS 16 into the RME ADI 2 FS (except for the 32bit files which is expected behaviour)

1 Like

Roon ARC seems not to play bit perfect in all cases:

1 Like

This is unfortunate, I updated my post to note I tested with an iPhone and iOS. The added bonus for iOS iPhone uses is ARC passes bit perfect data. The iOS music app (at least iOS 15) did not pass bit perfect data. Likely a result of digital watermarking.

I’m just happy I can now play recordings from the Hyperion label out side of my network

Has anyone configured their home network to allow remote access via Internet when on the go and got any initial feedback on the experience?

Roon configured my home network automatically with no problems. I was able to listen to ARC when working late at the office (amazing)!
Now I need to buy an office hifi.

2 Likes

I am currently on a business trip. Streaming my local library with Arc. Working seamlessly and the sound quality is superb. Colour me impressed.

3 Likes

Yes. My (Firewalls Gold) router is set to block configuration by third-party apps, as well as UPnP, but manual port forwarding is quite simple. Took me all of two minutes to do. Playback in my car was easy, and SQ was quite pleasing.

1 Like

I’m using a Firewalla Purple, and have succeeded in setting up a unrestricted port for ARC, but was wondering if it’s possible to restrict the port to my iPhone, when I’m on my cellular network. Seems the Ingress Firewall wants an IP address or a user managed target list, or some rule creation associated with the port. Any suggestions?

p.s. certainly glad you’re finally enjoying your APEX DAC. And I’m guessing you’ve been experimenting with 2 vs 6 volt line output, if you’re feeding a preamp.

Not sure if that last part is for me or not Steve. No preamp here, and I’ve been 6V for what seems like forever now.

As to the question about restricting port forwarding access, I don’t know how to do that and haven’t looked, but I am thinking about trying Firewalla’s VPN recommendation.

Sorry for the confusion. I saw you indicated you’d set up manual port forwarding on your Firewalla Gold. Did you find a way to restrict access to the port for Roon ARC only? If so, how?

I’ve had success with their VPN Server setup using WireGuard. Nice to access my NAS in a pinch when away from home.

I haven’t bothered with restricting it yet. And I don’t see any way to restrict access by app. But there is a provision for making an “Allow List,” which I have yet to explore. Would be nice if one could limit access by MAC address.Absent that, my desire would be to set up the port so Roon sees it working correctly, restrict its access to no outside internet traffic, and then establish a Wireguard VPN every time I want to use it. Preliminary efforts look like that might work.

Thanks for your thoughts. I’m not deep into networking security. I’ve only been successful in getting Roon ARC with its dedicated port working without UPnP enabled on Firewalla. That seems sufficiently secure protection for that app and associated hardware, at least. And it seems the folks at Firewalla have done a good job with VPN server security. And I’ve gotten the short-range WAN functioning to support Roon 2.0 via iPhone tethering, in the event my ISP has any outages.

1 Like

As of today, Roon ARC is Apple CarPlay compatible. And it works like a charm.

4 Likes

To add to this, Roon have just announced that, for those of us listening at home, we will no longer need to have the internet working/connected 24x7 in order to listen to our local files :slight_smile:

We actually have a pretty solid internet connection here, but shit happens and, as a long-term Roon member, I’m very glad that Roon’s policy has been reversed on this.

3 Likes

Time will tell of course, but there is nothing bad in that announcement.

3 Likes

Agreed, we don’t know what the other (perhaps longer term) implications could be, but this might suggest Harman (and Roon) are listening to their customers

4 Likes

A year later than everyone else(!), I’ve finally done enough research that I’m happy with opening the port to connect to Roon ARC externally (it seems the horror stories I read were likely people opening up all ports to their server!) and I now have Roon ARC running in the car.

Will see how it compares to Apple Music over the coming days. I guess the main disadvantage is I doubt it supports voice commands, as opposed to the main disadvantage with Apple Music being it doesn’t understand what the hell I’m saying anyway!

PS Thanks to Greg for the heads-up this was now available on CarPlay :slight_smile:

2 Likes