dCS products run multiple software components in order to process network streams, apply DSP, and convert them to analog. These notes are specific to the network firmware which is common to all of our network-enabled products. This software is responsible for network streaming via UPnP, Roon, Tidal, Spotify, and Airplay; Playback of locally-attached USB flash drives; App control; and MQA decoding.
The dCS Digital Processing Platform (including digital to analogue conversion, digital signal processing, input selection, device control, front panel display, front panel buttons, and remote control functions) is part of the FPGA firmware which is unique to each device. This software is released separately along with its own release notes.
Unless otherwise noted the features, enhancements, bug fixes, and known issues in this document apply to all dCS products on which this software is loaded. For more information please contact your dCS dealer or distributor. You are also invited to contact dCS directly using the contact details found on our website: https://www.dcsltd.co.uk
These notes apply to the following software versions:
Network Firmware: 406
Vivaldi App: 1.4.9
Rossini App: 1.4.10*
Bartók App: 1.4.10*
Network Bridge App: 1.4.10*
** New app release associated with this firmware update.*
This revision to the dCS Network Firmware release notes (rev B) includes updates to reflect the availability of the firmware for the Network Bridge as well as an interim update to the dCS app for Bartók, Rossini, and Network Bridge. Changes are marked in red.
New Features and Enhancements
- Completely re-written Roon Ready module using independent signal path (see Usage Notes, section 4)
- Finalized support for Bartók DAC and Bartók Headphone DAC
- Finalized support for Rossini SACD Transport control
- Finalized support of Rossini 2.0 new features
- Updated Roon Ready software to version 1.1.32
- Implemented new MQA signaling logic to eliminate dropouts during Roon playback with Bartók and Rossini 2.0
- When using a Vivaldi Upsampler and DAC in Universal Master Mode a resync delay is no longer required in Roon’s audio device setup
- Corrected an issue where navigation controls in the dCS app did not function correctly on the iPhone XS Max and XR (app 1.4.10)
- Corrected several long-standing UI issues with Roon metadata display on device front panel and in dCS app
- Roon signal path now properly reflects device output in use (digital output, analog output, headphone output)
- Roon grouped playback no longer exhibits issues with playback starting out of sync
- Roon grouped playback properly accounts for DAC buffer setting
- Added device, configuration, and sample-rate specific playback start delays to ensure track starts are not cutoff with Roon playback.
- Refined messaging between network card and DAC to reduce track transition times (especially with MQA content)
- Front panel display of dCS device reflects the proper state when Roon queue is played through to the end or Roon playback is stopped (long-press of pause button)
- Network firmware version along with FPGA version are now properly displayed in Roon
- Device recovers properly after a crash of the Roon module
- Proper state is reported back to Roon core when device put into standby
- Changed text associated with Factory Reset option in the embedded web interface to avoid confusion with front panel Factory Reset option
- Various patches, minor fixes, and housekeeping
- dCS app does not remember position in long lists when browsing back to list
- dCS app does not always reconnect to device automatically on resume
- MQA content does not playback gaplessly via UPnP or native Tidal
- Some flac files played back via UPnP or local USB experience a delayed start
- Some MQA files (especially MQA CD rips) are not recognized as MQA when played via UPnP or locally-attached USB storage
- Various Airplay issues: Distortion on some tracks, erratic behavior with YouTube, etc
- [Network Bridge] Under certain circumstances the dCS app may report an incorrect volume setting. Adjusting the volume level or killing and restarting the dCS app will clear the fault.
The full release notes document includes usage notes and is available for download below.