Regenerator use

Continuing the discussion from System finalized finally!:

To respect the intent of the original thread, I’ve broken this off and hope no one minds.

hi @PAR,
Do you think you (or @James) could share why dCS doesn’t recommend using a regenerator? From an engineering perspective, this seems (to me) like the best way to generate stable AC power. I have read this in the dCS manual and have always wondered what is the basis for dCS’s position…

Thank you,
R

PAR:
I have no comment on the efficacy of the regenerator but draw your attention to the safety notice in the Bartok manual.

dCS do not recommend the use of regenerators. However if you do use one and it allows variable voltage and frequency ( which I understand PS Audio ones do) it must be set to match your local voltage and frequency of 50 or 60 Hz only. Any resultant damage caused by misuse or malfunctioning will not be covered by the warranty.

1 Like

I can’t speak for James or Pete, but I’m guessing it simply has to do with the potential for damage to the dCS components if the Regenerator is misconfigured in some way.

With the PS Audio kit for example, exactly as you suggested, if the AC thresholds are set too low (or too high) from the rated input voltage required on the dCS kit, or even with muitiwave, not sure what that would do to the power supply units within the dCS.

Thanks @Anupc, that makes sense to me: If you reconfigure the power incorrectly you can blow your DAC/gear. I get that : ) It also makes sense that dCS would not want the warranty to apply under that situation.

I’m just wondering if there is a technical reason, assuming the regenerator is properly configured (and ignoring business/warranty issues), why the power would not be cleaner/more stable after regeneration? It seems to me that it would be…

Thank you,
R

I don’t suspect there’s any suggestion that there’s a technical reason not to use a regenerator if one is configured correctly. There can be no technical reason if supplied a proper clean AC signal :wink:

1 Like

Thank you @Anupc. Your explanation is exactly what I’ve always thought. To me the idea of taking the incoming AC wave from the wall, converting it to DC, and then regenerating AC in a regulated manner, free from other disturbances, would be the best way to have stable power to highend audio gear.

So, now I can get very specific about my question:
(a) It makes total sense for dCS to write, in the manual, as they do, that they will not cover damage from a regenerator in the warranty. That is smart business.
(b) But why do they include this phrase: “We do not recommend the use of mains regenerators.”

They could just exclude it from the warranty and not discourage use. Hence my inquiry about any technical reason…

Further thoughts?

1 Like

I simply paraphrased the caveat from the dCS manuals. It would need a dCS engineer to explain the reason behind the negative recommendation.

Being pedantic, is a strict reading of the phrase “We do not recommend the use of mains regenerators” merely stating that there is no recommendation regarding the use of mains regenerators and perhaps it is going further than is actually written there if one reads into it that it is recommended that mains regenerators are not used? For that to be the case it would have to be rewritten as “ “We recommend that mains regenerators are not used.”

I am not arguing for the use of mains regenerators. Quite the contrary in fact because the two I have owned (one very expensive and one less so, no names no pack drill!) have both affected the sound of my system in a not favourable way with a hardening of top end being audible to my ears.

1 Like

I respect your logic flow Nick, I just think dCS would not have included a statement at all if they were neutral on the topic. There are ostensibly many topics dCS is neutral on, that they choose not to comment on, in the manual.

@Phil, could you please elaborate for dCS’s position here, and any technical details?

R

1 Like

Hi folks,

Apologies for being slow on the uptake here, have been offline for a few days.

The reason for including the warning on mains regenerators in the manual is that there is the potential, if the regenerator is incorrectly set up or if it develops a fault itself, for damage to be caused to the dCS equipment downstream. This is not the case with passive mains components like mains power cables or passive mains filters.

As the manufacturer, irrespective of any sound quality gains to be had from these regenerators, we need to advise people on the safest course of action; as the potential exists for a mains power based fault, we cannot recommend using active mains regenerators.

3 Likes

I can’t add anything to the technical conversation but I can say that I’ve used PS Audio regeneration products for over a decade and always with good results.
Currently, I use two P10s, one handles the source components… Rossini Player/clock, turntable, preamp, DVD player, Aurender N10, and the other handles my power amps and powered subs.
I live in rural Virginia where we have many electrical storms, power outages etc, usually through the Summer months, and while the P10 may or may not improve on the sound of my gear I like having them in the system from a protection perspective.

Touch wood they have operated flawlessly, as has the equipment plugged into them, a few bad tubes here and there being the exception.

1 Like