Power conditioner and Dac sound

Hello Marco @anon30536008

My Torus TOT Max should be arriving tomorrow and I will immediately begin to put it through its paces. I will be testing it with a Donald North Stratus tube amplifier which I currently have here on demo. After that I will test it with a HeadAmp GSX MK2 amplifier - both will be used with Utopia headphones. If I get a chance I will then proceed and test it with my Stax 009S/Mjolnir Carbon amplifier.

I did quite a bit of research on power conditioners and read a number of online threads from users of different brands of products. I have a good friend who is a member of this forum (magicbus) and he is using an AudioQuest Niagara with his Rossini/Ayer Pre/Active ATC50 system. He is extremely happy with the results - especially as he does not have the ability to run a dedicated line to his system. I have also read with great interest @PaleRider (Greg’s) comments on his Torus.

Perhaps the most interesting thing I can say is that I found an online review video from Upscale Audio which covered the AudioQuest Niagara. The designer, Garth Powell, makes an interesting assertion. He stated that each manufacturer approaches power conditioning in different ways - and each different method is valid and achieves easily discernible results.

With that said I chose the product and technology which was easily understandable and made the most sense - TO ME. In the end, like @PaleRider, the Torus philosophy seemed most aligned with what I believe in. Perhaps my beliefs are grounded in the fact that I own a Naim 500 system which, as we know, is a firm believer in beefy power supplies with large and heavy toroidal transformers. This photo of the insides of the Torus unit sealed the deal for me. I believe it weighs more than a SuperCap :laughing:

Best
Gregg

1 Like

Good choice!
TOT MAX can drive ATC50 actives also. It would be interesting if you compare it with your friend who has Niagara and ATС))

Not so easy - he is in California and I am in New York :grinning:

1 Like

well at least once a year you should meet to drink a bottle of good wine together :smiley:

Hello Gregg @glevethan,

nice transformer inside! Did you have the chance yet to listen to the Torus in action?

How are the headphone amplifiers performing?

Would you consider it for your Naim system too? When I owned my Naim system most people I talked to were of the opinion, that power conditioners are detrimental to Naim gear’s sound.

Hello Marco

I started playing with the Torus Tot Max on Friday and had an immediate jaw drop moment. With my headphone amplifiers the noise background went to absolute black, bass, volume and dynamics increased, and it was an immediate slap in the face moment.

What I experienced was similar to what my friend @magicbus experienced with an Audioquest Niagara 3000 fronting his Rossini, Ayre pre, active ATC50 setup. We are both now believers in power conditioning.

Further research needs to be done as the only downside with the Torus is a slight buzzing of the massive transformer. It is not as pronounced as the buzzing on my Naim 552/500 PS’s however it is still audible. It is strictly a mechanical vibration from the transformer and not part of the audio signal.

A brief chat with Torus (to be continued today) indicated the cause could be existence of DC on my house line. This is in line with what I found after a bit of googling - it seems to be more common then we think.

I brought the Torus to my brothers house and plugged in - no transformer buzz.

The Niagara series approaches things differently from Torus (see my initial post above) and I might look into trying that unit as well and compare the two. It does not use a Toroid as the Torus so transformer buzz should not be existent.

The above is a round about way of answering your initial question - a resounding YES. After seeing what the Torus has done for my headphone systems I have already starting wondering what it can do for my Naim system.

Best
Gregg

2 Likes

What I like about Torus is that it doesn’t change the tonal balance, it doesn’t color the sound. Torus does not take something important from music to give something else. I have not yet found anything to complain about. But of course, it is too early to draw deep conclusions.

Hello Gregg,

I love these moments when a new discovery has such a profound impact. The beginning of even deeper musical enjoyment… And a nice reward for diligence and perseverance. Congratulations from across the pond. I am happy together with you.

:nerd_face:

(:point_up_2: my actual glasses)

What other specific items do you use to improve current delivery? Like power distributor, cables, wall sockets, and so on?

Let me know how your 500 system reacts should you go that route.

So far I have opted for parallel filtering instead of outright power conditioning. Maybe time to reconsider. :thinking: The Ansuz d-tc power distributor filters in parallel in my system.

Best,
Marco

You should buy another Torus, plug it into this one, and confirm the first torus is removing all the dc.

2 Likes

RM will be even quieter mechanically. So Ross from Torus explained to me.

The transformer mounting method – The TOT Max CE transformer is basically just bolted to the bottom of the chassis with a layer of neoprene rubber between the transformer and the bottom panel. The transformer in the RM 8 CE is surrounded by a layer of neoprene rubber which is surrounded by a steel band. The steel band is bolted to the bottom panel of the chassis so the transformer is fully isolated from the chassis. Since the transformer is not bolted to the chassis, it essentially floats and is therefore fully isolated from the chassis. This helps to keep the RM 8 silent since any noise that may emanate from the transformer will not be able to resonate through the chassis.

By the way, the difference in weight between TOT MAX and RM8 transformers is only 1kg. 19kg for TOT MAX vs 20kg for RM8 (for the same 8 amperes). But in total it’s about ~12kg

1 Like

Hello Gregg @glevethan,

did you have a chance to evaluate the Torus in your Naim 500 system yet? And what is your experience now that the transformer has been in your system for a while?

I’m debating with myself whether to evaluate a Torus at home…

Kind regards,
Marco.

Hi Marco @whitecube

To answer your question lets just say that I now own not one but TWO Torus Isolation transformers! How is that for an endorsement.

I initially tested the Torus TOT Max on my headphone only system with several different headphone amplifiers (Donald North Stratus Tube, HeadAmp GSX Mini and MK2, Stax 353XBK and Mjolnir Carbon) and the demo was brief and convincing. Everything improved. This was to be expected as the headphone systems were running off of the general house mains.

I then brought in a Torus RM20 to test out with my Naim 500/dCS system. While the headphone only system runs off the regular house mains the Naim system has a dedicated 20 amp line running into the listening room. Even with a dedicated line the Torus proved its worth and it now resides on my Fraim rack powering the 552/500/Rossini/Rossini Clock.

Highly recommended and actually reasonably priced when considering the rest of the system. I have Chord Music interconnects which cost more than the big Torus - talk about VFM.

Best
Gregg

1 Like

Hi Gregg @glevethan

Thanks a lot for taking the time to share your experience. :slightly_smiling_face:

Now I am convinced too. Improving a Naim system (with their strong design attention to power) on a dedicated power line is a true litmus test.

A Torus shall be my next upgrade… I just hope I’m not wasting money on the already ordered power cables. :thinking:

1 Like

Hi All,
I am using a Synergistic Research Power Cell 12 UEF. This is the ONE component that I feel is really not doing anything in terms of sound quality improvement. Has anyone had any experience with the above power conditioner in a dCS- based system?
Many thanks in advance.

After I bought Torus avr2, I realized that this is where you need to start your passion for music. this applies to everything that works for you to play music.

2 Likes

Off topic, but how you like your Niimbus US 5 headamp? Which cans?

You are preaching to the converted…says the owner of not 1 but 2 Torus systems!

Best
Gregg

2 Likes

:innocent: :wink:There is nothing stopping us from reading the prayer again. Let us strengthen our faith, brothers!

The Niimbus is great. While he is at the burn stage. Very musical, all frequencies are uniform, the dynamics of the sound are at the highest level. Unfortunately I didn’t have the opportunity to test it with other expensive amplifiers, but I am very happy with this purchase. I listen to the Nimbus with the Sennheiser 800S. A very good couple. I highly recommend this pair.

1 Like

I used my existing adept response power conditioner when i went full stack and never considered that it could be removing dynamics. Anyone have any thoughts or experience here. Gotta start a new research project