Pol: What tweak or component gave your system blacker background

Pol: What tweak or component gave your system blacker background.

For me it was Aurender W20SE streamer + RJ45 TP-Link 210 fiber media converters driven by 9V/1A battery packs and WireWorld Starlight Platinum Eclipse 7 AES/EBU gave me a better separation and depth = blacker background.

Please follow me and describe your tips and tweaks

I sold my PS Audio tube amp and preamp and went to Boulder 3160 class A amp. I’m not using a preamp - Vivaldi direct to Boulder. Totally quiet - with volume at reasonable level and no music playing there isn’t any sound or hiss from speakers. (I have the DCS DAC at 0.6 volt output). Amp does not have a mechanical hum, it’s as quiet as if it was turned off. My tube stuff was loud - mechanical hum from the transformer and too much speaker hiss. Of course the price difference between the 2 is considerable.

2 Likes

Is that “3160” a typo, Mark?

Not finding that Boulder model — just a gorgeous behemoth called the 3060.

1 Like

My mistake. It is the 3060. Yes it is a beast. Runs off of 240 volts.

My source is USB based and introducing Innuos Phoenix USB enhanced the overall experience good enough to label as ‘Dramatic’.

1 Like

Gin

With a splash of tonic. And ice.

9 Likes

Shunysta Everest on my dCS gear

3 Likes

my dCS stack on a Grand Prix Audio Silverstone rack. It’s a large difference. In addition to blacker background, better resolution, better textures/timbres, more dynamic. A good rack is essential for equipment like dCS.

2 Likes

Audience AR2P between my Nordost QB8 and the wall outlet. I wanted some surge protection and filtration without reducing current.

And a Furutech NCF ClearLine - that is a cheap and incredibly effective tweak. Took about 2 seconds to notice the improvement. Money very well spent.

1 Like

The 3060 is a beast of an amp indeed - shipping weight 563 lbs!

I listen to headphones only these days (remodel, had to move out, two channel system in storage). I recently purchased a Ferrum Oor headphone amp + Hypsos hybrid power supply and that pair has a very black background. Sound emanates from a vacuum.

I use it with the Bartok and a new pair of Dan Clark Audio Expanse headphones and this system is so darn enjoyable to listen to. I would consider the Rossini clock, but at $10k within the context of this system it does not feel like a good value.

2 Likes

That is a great setup indeed✋

If you go for the Rossini Clock you will get a more subtle, but a slight more composed and calm sound, so it is more a matter of taste to add a clock or not.

It feels better to have one than not, but it is not a most to have

I agree about the Everest also the Omega cables completed the deeper displayed sound!

1 Like

My friend got his whole system equipped with Omega cabling and Omega Audio Concept mains filter boxes and they make the sound darker with great calm black background👍

1 Like

Did your friend get the Everest
To complete that open sound he has
Discovered with those amazing cords?!

1 Like

One of the better sounding experience you can imagine in a home :wink:

Consisting of Omega Concepts cabling straight trough + 2x Omega Power filtering Outlets filled some sort epoxy mass and weighs about 12kg each block
This adds up for a total of about 60.000$ in total of cabling.

Storm Audio iSP16 ch Mk II Ultra High End DSP Processor
Storm Audio 8 chanel AMP 800 watt bridged for the front speakers:
Asylvox Tintoretto Planar magnetic upgraded with new external 3way crossovers.
They are driven in fully active mode buy the amp: bas , mid , tweeter planar panel, and each register in the speakers and REL subwoofers is room calibrated.

Kalista X Dreamstream incl. Kalista air-hinged chassi . ( The PSU in the Kalista Streamer got 7 stage’s of filtering )

Innous new Linear Femto High End Switch

Roon Nucelus Server

4 x REL No.25 Active Subwoofers

The sound is as big as an true cinema and very quiet between every note, so you get the feeling it is a different song, as it feels almost as the record is going in slower speed, because it is so fast in reality.

A great system under 24/7 progress…

Next upgrade on order is PLINUS 700watt class A(b) Mono Amps and Neo Reference stands for the amps and Storm Audio and Kalista Streamer.

:+1:

2 Likes

Did you mean Innuos PhoenixNet? If so, I too recently introduced this to my system for interesting outcome.

Yes it is the Innous Phoenix it is great, and newer tech than Melco S100 for a good price :+1:

3 Likes

I painted the wall black :slight_smile:

4 Likes