Planning to buy Grimm MU1 streamer

I would give up the Rossini either.

Edit: I would NOT give up the Rossini either.

I asked this question on 4/21/2023 on The Absolute Sound Substack:

Q: I have a Roon Nucleus based system that feeds a dCS Bartók via the built-in ethernet Bridge. Is there any benefit to switch out the Nucleus with a Grimm MU1?

A: Great question! Generally we would think adding the Grimm (or similar) will not help because most of the timing of the system happens in your Bartok. But to check if we were missing something about the Bartok architecture, we asked dCS for their input. Here’s what they say:

“Systems such as the Grimm are not network end points like the Roon. Since the Bartok is a music server and streamer, and operates even without Roon or any server via Mosaic, products like the Grimm really don’t serve a very good technical purpose in a dCS system.

Worse, they introduce jitter because they cannot be referenced to a master word clock.

That said, music servers such as the Grimm do sound different, and some people like the sound.

We prefer the immediacy, transparency, and honesty of the simple approach of using the Bartok as a network endpoint, either with Roon or on its own.”

With dCS we often find that they have a very pure approach which suits some listeners and not others. Many of us at TAS like the dCS sound (or lack thereof), but if you are trying to address an audible issue, you might want to augment or abandon their approach. As always, borrowing a Grimm and trying it is the real proof of its value.

6 Likes

Maybe I misunderstand this but is there a negative missing? Looks like you are saying you would give up the Rossini but I wonder if you mean you would not give up the Rossini?

1 Like

Interesting.

This seems to confirm some of my reservations about the Grimm MU1.

I’m also not enthusiastic at the prospect of my DSD library being downsampled by the MU1 and output at either 176.2 kHz or 192 kHz.

I’m sure that the MU1 sounds fantastic in some people’s systems but, all things considered, I don’t think it’ll suit me and my current set up.

I’ve also been looking at Melco’s latest products, so I’ll focus my attention there.

I guess this is the crux of the issue with the MU1 when used with any dCS Streamer/DAC, the fact that the MU1 only has S/PDIF, AES outputs; it may sound different (and better to some), but definitely not more source-accurate than streaming directly to a dCS.

The MU2 has an interesting DAC architecture. I wonder if they’ll ever provide more technical details of that 11th order 1.5bit noise shaper and its corresponding D-to-A stage.

2 Likes

I’m also looking at the Innuos product line…

Fixed! Thanks!

Also take a look at Antipodes.

1 Like

Thanks.
Coincidentally, my Innuos dealer also represents Antipodes, so they’re also in the mix…

in Munich, Innuos presented their new Pulsar streamer (USB out only, guess 5500€?). Some folks confirmed that this streamer played almost on level with the Innuos Statement (14k€) So if you go for a streamer (not server with internal storage) only, you may check this as well. I have my eyes now on the new Melco with 5TB that they were showing in Munich as well.

2 Likes

Watch this space for the standalone ripper/storage thing* - so folk who buy a Pulsar can extend into storage rather than part-exchanging their Pulsar for a Statement.
*This is just wild speculation!

Watch this space also for the Pulsar NextGen linear PSU. This is also a guess but one informed by product development pathways on other Innuos product lines.

Exciting times.

1 Like

Hi Nigel,
I don’t get it…Please what do you mean by extend storage and PSU in the context of Pulsar (I know it’s a rumor but I want to understand the option :wink: Tx!

Apologies. I meant that a Statement is (and the associated Z’s are) basically a streamer+CD drive+NAS in a box. The Pulse range offers just the streamer bit, which gives a whole new bunch of people a chance to experience Innuos for the first time.
If they then want to Innuos-ise their storage/NAS, what options do they have? Right now, part-exchange their P thing for a Z thing. Surely it would make sense for Innuos to next offer just the drive/storage bit, allowing people a more modular path to maxi-Innuos…
This would also allow people to decide whether to upgrade the streamer or storage bit first, according to the priority they personally attach to that element.

It’s a wild punt. I have no connection with Innuos other than being a customer.

thx!!
just came across this:

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks.

1 Like