NB + goldmund or Bartok or Rossini

Hi,

Im a fan of my old goldmund flagship 10+dac. Its very muscial but honestly its a dated year 2000 product.

Now I am thinking to buy a dcs system to cope with my hd music files. Music quality wise should I buy a network bridge + keep the goldmund dac or choose a Bartok system or jump to a rossini player (a level higher)?

Although I hear good reviews of Bartok, it is still an entry product. Would it match an old Goldmund in terms of musicality or sound quality?

Hi Sili and welcome to the community forum, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Only you can know exactly what it is that makes you like the Goldmund piece so much. It clearly has benefits that are important to you. That being so I cannot tell if it:

Those are matters that are personal to you and also relate to the other components that you have in your system.

However you are probably aware that dCS equipment enjoys the highest reputation. I might suggest that you familiarise yourself with the company and why it is rather different to many other DAC makers (and do click on those " learn More" options) :

As this is such a personal thing you can really only find out if it is for you by going to a dCS dealer and requesting a demonstration.

One thing that I can tell you is that the Network Bridge is no longer made. So Bartok or Rossini is your choice for new pieces. dCS ensure that each step up their product line produces clearly audible benefits. So, if you have the finances, the choice is easy; Rossini or even better Rossini plus Rossini clock ( many find the two inseparable).

One other thing I can talk about is your HD music files. The Goldmund is very limited in this respect as many higher resolution formats have emerged since its introduction. Bartok/Rossini are far better equipped though even in their cases even newer formats have come along. However many of these are unicorn formats or otherwise have very little support in terms of available software. I guess there may be a game of technical leapfrog continuing for some time or, even, for ever!

Let us know how you get on.

My opinion is: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. If it sounds great, don’t change it.

UNLESS

You test some new DAC (or DAC + CLOCK :slight_smile: ) IN YOUR SYSTEM, and after a week or so, and an inverse comparison, your ears and heart tell your wallet that it’s time to open up :slight_smile: :partying_face:

In order to avoid the “change just for changing” risk, I have found that this strategy works pretty well: the fact that you actually like what you have MUST have some weight in the decision. My bayesian mindset again …

A.

1 Like