Naim Convert to dCS

So I may be taking the plunge into a Bartok or Rossini. I currently have a Naim system (552/recent DR upgrade on the PS), 300 DR. I got into streaming this summer with an ND5XS2 with an ndac fed by a 555PS. I thought I’d eventually get to an ND555 which was perhaps my move now but have been reading a lot about dCS. I’ll do more reading but given the trades I have, perhaps the Rossini could be the better fit. I don’t have the extra funds for the clock at the moment but like the idea of a future upgrade.

Happy to hear any advice. Also, my current cable from the ndac to the 552 is a Chord Music 5 pin. What do most people use for their connections to preamps?

Thanks!

1 Like

Welcome to the community, Matt @katmaimatt.

After leaving my speaker based Naim system and analog front end behind, I listened with an ND 555 with two 555 PS DR feeding a Woo Audio WA33 headphone amp. After a while it became clear that my listening habits had reached the limits of Naim’s approach to music reproduction. At that point I remembered a stellar system I got to hear in Luxembourg. It consisted of a dCS Paganini stack with Spectral amps and Avalon speakers in a purpose built listening room. Truly delightful. Because of that fond memory I ordered a Bartók with headphone amp plus a Vivaldi clock. The switch was rewarding. Bartók and clock are different from what Naim delivers. In some areas like realism or inner musical structure the new setup was ahead, in others not (e.g. foot tapping quality). Both firms place different emphasis. I didn’t make an interim stop with Rossini and upgraded to Vivaldi after reading enough of the very positive posts here. Now the overall result is superior in almost all regards. Maybe not when it comes to punch or drive. But that might be a pleasing Naim artifact too… Long story short, I encourage you to test listen to the Rossini. The step up from the ND5XS2 should be very obvious. And then you can see whether what you are leaving behind in Naim sound qualities is fine for you.

I use ChordMusic XLR cables to connect Vivaldi DAC and the headphone amp. A reminiscence to the Naim days… Will be looking at alternatives. Probably will procure test cables from Argento and Esprit. Here’s one of the threads on cables:

I’m coming from HDX-NDX-NDX2-ND555, running now a Rossini + Clock (and love it!)
If you connect a dCS to a Naim amp you’ll notice more air, more 3D and the PRaT is there as well.
Even a Bartok sings like hell - you’ll be suprised!
Over the years, I switched the amps from Naim to Nagra. This is “my” final destination now.

2 Likes

Hi, I had a Naim ndac a long time ago, connected to a modest Moon 180 streamer…So, far from what you have in your system.
My advice…skip Bartok or Rossini and buy directly a Vivaldi (DAC+Upsampler) otherwise you might be disappointed given the current source you have…the ndac is so good, but I understand you would like a more up to date streamer…
I switched to dCS Vivaldi myself, pure joy :wink:

Hello @katmaimatt
Welcome to the forum. There are many current and ex Naim users actively participating on this forum. I am a 20 year Naim owner who runs a 552DR/500DR/LP12/Rossini+Clock. Both the Rossini and LP12 (Urika) are connected to my 552DR with Chord Music cables. I am one of the original USA “guinea” pigs who started with the original Chord Sarum project 10 years ago. Each time an upgrade was developed (Sarum>Super Sarum> Music) I sent my cable back and it was replaced/upgraded with the new model. There were many growing pains way back then.

My digital front end was always Naim culminating with the CD555 player. When Naim started with digital and the HDX I was not convinced and I demoed the Linn Klimax DS when it was introduced in 2007. In 2011 when the KDS was upgraded to the KDS/1 I decided to go all in and sold off my CD555 and went full digital with Linn. The Klimax DS has served me well for a decade and has been updated each time Linn came up with something new. In 2020 I treated myself to a Bartok HA for use in my headphone only systems. I was so impressed with its performance (90% of the Linn at significantly less cost) that it inspired me to purchase a Rossini+Clock to replace my Linn in the big Naim 500 system.

Since then I have not looked back. I personally know many Naim users who have moved on from their Naim streamers, including ND555 owners, and have gone on to embrace the Rossini.

Jump in…the water is fine.

Best
Gregg

3 Likes

You won’t regret it…. For pretty much the past 7/8 years I’ve been on dCS as digital source with Naim Amps. They work very well together.

I started from Puccini + clock as naim never venture into SACD, and who’s doing DSD audio best? Since got the hang of ripping SACD into DSD files, I have moved into Roon then replaced the Puccini with Bartok/Rossini Clock.

For interconnect, I’m using Witchhat Morgana from bartok into my 252, and pretty much the rest on my rig including the burndies are Morgana

Hi Matt

Like yourself I was also just going to go ND555, as like you I have a 552dr and at the time a naim NDS, running 2 power supplies. After picking up a nd555 and swapping it over with the nds, I couldn’t tell a difference at all, nor could my daughter or anyone, so I took it and my nds to the dealer as I thought it could just be my system. Well at the dealer and on a full naim 500 system the same, I couldn’t tell any difference, the dealers helper said the same, the dealer tried to say it had better bass, more air, etc, etc, but no it didn’t.
So that was for me the nd555 out and so went looking for something else, at this point I had never heard of dCS and the Bartok was my introduction and very nice it was too, different sound to the nds, I would say the nds was more like an analog sound and the Bartok certainly sounded more alive and full of detail, without being cold, but certainly not warm, if you get what I am trying to say.
All was fine and I could have certainly gone with the Bartok over my nds, plus the extra benefits the dCS has over it was very appealing, especially going forward and the upgrades that dCS tend to offer free.
But me having mentioned my thoughts on the Bartok, said dealer said, let me go get the rossini and clock, well this was just something else, it made the hairs stand up on my arms, I was simply blown away with how good it was going through the naim 500 system, only problem was price, but I knew this was what I wanted.
It has everything the naim had, but on top of that just more lovely details, it just made you want to play more and more and had you on the edge of your seat waiting to hear things that you had never heard before on your favourite tracks, I could have sat in that chair all day and that has only ever happened to me twice, this time and many years ago when I was in a London hifi shop down Tottenham Court Road and I first heard the top naim system, 52, active 135s etc into dbls I think, anyway I couldn’t stop thinking about the rossini.
Obviously I ended up with one and the clock, the clock does make a nice difference, not one you hear straight away, but after a few days or a week, forget to switch it on like I have twice and you will probably find yourself sitting there thinking, this doesn’t sound right.

So my advice is get a rossini and clock if you can, secondhand like mine is a great way and right now a pair is for sale at £15k, still a lot but not much more than a new Bartok.
Also I found the jump in performance from the Bartok to rossini to be a much better step up than the rossini to vivaldi was, yes the vivaldi is better but for the added outlay I am not so sure, but then only you can decide that.
Finally I now run my dCS into my 552dr and 500dr then to pmc fact 12 speaker’s and I also use witchhat morgana cables everywhere I can, even the 552 burndy and they suit it all lovely

Hopefully this has helped
Cheers dunc

4 Likes

Hi

I have a full Naim system too but I wonder if, for other Naim users, once they prefer the dCS products whether that has made them realise that they need to move away from Naim amplification too because to me I think the dCS components highlight dryness/lack of warmth in the Naim amplification.

I am not wedded to any manufacturer. Maybe Naim is living on past glory. Certainly it’s ND555 is nowhere near as good as even Bartok - in my view. I think when Naim developed the ND555 most of the time seems to have been spent on developing the server side and user interface. They continue to be stuck with the Burr Brown 1704 DAC that was not recommended for use in development from 2004 by Texas Instruments.

Hi
As I said above, I love the dCS into my naim 552dr and 500dr, I find this combo works well, better than others I have hear, but we all like different things and speaker’s plus room plays a massive amount to the final result

Another Naim convert - I was running a NDX2 + 555 PS DR and was looking to upgrade- original thought was to upgrade to a ND555, but I thought I would listen to a Bartok 2.0. Decision was easy.

5 Likes

I have since moved away completely from naim amplifier, and pre amp.
After getting the vivaldi apex dac, i tried it directly into the 500dr amp and the difference was shocking, so much so i couldn’t believe what the 552dr was doing to the sound quality.
It never went back in, and have since sold the 500dr as well.

But i completely agree about the ND555, it’s no better a dac than the ndac or NDS.
It’s so far behind it’s not even worth a demo.

2 Likes

I’m also a dCS convert… I got it into my head a few months ago to play for the first time with streaming, but always found the ND555 a bit flat sounding and truly heinous cost wise. I had been using a now departed CDX2 and 555 PSU with a 552DR / 300 into PMC FACT 8 Signatures, along with a maxed out AVID Acutus turntable.

I okayed around with a Chord DAVE and a Weiss 501 with ok results, but the Weiss streamer platform was terrible, and the DAVE was always a bit like an Impreza Turbo - loads of fun but too ‘brash’ for my taste. So! I ended up trying LINA - instant love - Rich, warm detailed, expansive and simply superb sound quality (more old school V8 RS4 to my ears …) With everything and all through a sensational interface with Mosaic. No need for an Innuos that doesn’t even do Spotify or any fancy switches as a regular CAT5 DIY cable from the BT house router delivered spectacular results… And all for £12.5K… I may add the clock eventually, but the LINA really has been transformative for me as is so far.

I have since let the CDX2 go as Naim took THREE goes to get a new mechanism to actually work in it this year, and now have a ProJect RS2T transport feeding LINA - again, huge sound and musicality off the scales, but I do concede, not necessarily as excitable as the CDX2.

I’m sure the other dCS products offer even more, but LINA delivers huge results for the outlay… :+1::+1::+1:

12 Likes

Hey Dunc,

Very interested to hear you ended up running your dCS straight into your 500 and that was why you let your 552 go - I wonder if I might need to try this as the LINA too now has a digital attenuation facility? Very interesting! What power amp did you end up going for?

Cheers!:smiley::+1:

3 Likes

Hi Chris,

I use “my” (well, it’s not “mine” but it’s the kit I have to be able to do my work) dCS kit feeding straight into my NAP300 (or NAP500 but I prefer the sound of my NAP300 over my NAP500 so I use the 300 day-to-day) … my 252 / 552 (and accompanying amps) have been relegated off into other systems that are on loan to a friend.

BR

Phil Harris

2 Likes

Hi
I made up some silver cables to run direct from the vivaldi dac into my 500dr, i still have them by the way.
Obviously you have probably read about it on here, but i had a much better thread on the naim forum, but they deleted it as i guess they didn’t like hearing how much the 552dr was holding back the dCS dac.
Even naim guy’s state the same, but that’s ok as they now run naim’s S1 pre amp, and nd555 with 2 power supplies, etc. Rather than the 552dr.

But i was just totally shocked at the difference, it never went back in, mine was not 2 years after full service by naim, so it should have been just as naim would like it.
Obviously i have the apex out put stage and this could well be a big factor in it all, but you can only try.

As for now, well everything has changed, vitus sia030 as i just love the class A mixed into the vivaldi dac, plus i can now run true balanced from the dac, and my phono stage into it.
But if i only had the one source ( vivaldi dac ) then i would just run that into an amp directly myself, and get probably a pair of class A mono amps that can take the true balanced input.

Just to add i tried the ND555 year’s ago when i had a NDS, and the ND555 didn’t do anything for me at all, well apart from empty my wallet off about £10k plus my NDS.
That’s when i first heard the dCS range, now that was a completely different story.

1 Like

I am very grateful to hear your experience both here and at the Naim forum.

Currently I am on my 3rd NAC 552 DR replacement with my local dealer.

First is indicator light issues, replaced.
2nd 552 exhibit this speaker woofer scary thing as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/DbBsaJ4SwSc

3rd 552 replacement coming in and again, the same woofer in and out after just 3 hours of playing music. My unit is again going back to Naim to try to RMA.

So now I am at a cross-road with my Naim system of 552, ND555 + a NAP 250DR.

I am thinking with the New 300-series power amp NAP 350 mono-block accepting XLR, is it wise to at least trade in my 552+ND555 and go for a 2 box dCS Vivaldi Apex + Upsampler (seem like needed this for streaming :frowning:)

My question for Dunc is: do you think with the new NAP 350, now is a great time to just connect dCS DAC directly into those new mono-block and still be happy with it.

Naim is my first Hi-Fi, so I have limited knowledge to play around. The XLR cable is a straight connect right?

Exactly my thoughts too; sell 552 / 300 and get new NAP350 and maybe relegate vinyl to some new system? (Need attenuation for the phonostage…)

I don’t know, the 552 is wonderful, but mine has odd lights too - they only come on for a quick flash sometimes when adjusting the volume rather than the whole time the remote button is pressed; other times it is perfect. I see it as a quirk and otherwise, it’s perfect…

Hi Phil,

Thank you very much for your message, this is a great family community to have joined! If I could just ask, is the implementation of volume attenuation in LINA detrimental to sound quality as you move downward from 0.0dB? I understand this is the case for other DAC’s offering volume control and hence the best option of leaving the output at line level and using the volume on a partner preamplifier. If LINA manages attenuation without sound quality loss, I might seriously consider running directly into a power amplifier…

Thank you!

Chris

Hey Dunc,

That’s very interesting indeed. I don’t know whether LINA attenuates without signal degradation as you Vivaldi clearly manages, but if it can, I’m seriously thinking of at least seeing how good LINA could sound through the 300 power amp directly. Your cables - are they straightforward to make? :crossed_fingers::+1:

Vitus … Nice! :smiley:

Hi Chris,

We do all calculations internally at 32 bits of resolution which - in conjunction with how the RingDAC works - means that there’s enough resolution to be essentially lossless down to -60db or more of attenuation …

Running up a pair of RCA to Naim XLR cables isn’t that difficult (and is cheap enough to just try) if you can use a soldering iron - I don’t remember which Naim amp you have offhand but the Naim wiring is easy enough to find - but I’d definitely recommend giving it a go, after all you can always very easily go back if you don’t like what you hear.

I was really pleased with the change over running through my 252 or 552 (I have both) and the only thing I wish is that I could just get ‘more’ of what my setup gives me - I love what I get out of my setup at home (NAP300 and Kudos Titan 707’s) but have always been terrible for listening very loud! :slight_smile:

BR

Phil

3 Likes