Mosaic crash after few seconds

Hi Stefano,

It looks like the crash dump you posted above isn’t for Mosaic. Are you able to go back to the analytics dumps (Settings -> Privacy -> Analytics and Improvements -> Analytics Data) and perform a search for “runner” instead of searching by date?

If anything comes up in this search, send it over (feel free to send it in a private message if you’d like). Specifically, it would be great if there are any that correspond to the date / time of a Mosaic crash.

Hi Pete.
I am not able ti find anything.
There was nothing about Dcs or Mosaic.
What exacly I have to digit?

Even on iPad I didn’t find anything.
I have 3 com.apple.WebKit.Networking cases.
But I don’t know how to send it to you.
Because it is too long and here there is a digit limit. Beside I can’t send the file because of The extension.

I have tried to open several times Mosaic.
And all the time the app shutted off.
But in the privacy tool doesn’t appear nothing.
Same thing iPad and Iphone

Simple question: does Your iPAD see the Bartók? There are some free scanning apps available, i use iNet (Apple Store).

I excuse for not answering immediately. Been all over Italy, except sicily which is high on my list. Love Rome, have been excited to see Matera, love those Trulli houses, my Tallegio consumption has dramatically increased, was hiking at lago maggiore, Venice, Turino, Bari, Milano, Genua, …

Needless to say there are lots of discussion panels concerning Fritz!Boxes in german. I will report as soon as i‘ve found helpful hints.

Greetings
Carsten

Hi Carsten!
Yes all my devices can see the Bartok.
I can say for sure, now, that the crash happens some seconds after Mosaic connection with the Bartok. Indeed if Masoic don’f find the Bartok, Mosaic don’t crash. That it’s true for all Os and Android devices.

Wow! You’ ve been in a lot of places!
Yes Sicily is a “must go” but even Sardegna, even Tuscany and a lot of other places.
Especially if like hiking. I can give you a lot of advices.
Feel free to ask, it will be a pleasure for me.

Mosaic does not „crash“ if it doesn’t see the Bartok? So, if You unplug Your Bartok, Mosaic does not terminate? That‘s very interesting. Still believe it should be a network related problem. Incorrect answer is always a problem. If my wife asks me something, and the answer is … You probably know what i mean.

Visited Tuscany twice, Pisa of course, and many other places in italy. But Apulia is my most loved. Alberobello might be the world’s most beautiful little town.

“ Mosaic does not „crash“ if it doesn’t see the Bartok? ”

Yes, when I am not at home Mosaic doesn’t crash.

I excuse if my post was a bit ambiguous, i only try to help You. In fact, i had a bunch of problems to solve to get mine running well. I had nearly the same experience You have now, and it took more than 3 weeks, having quite a few phone calls with the distributor.

One of the issues was that Mosaic crashed several times, but not regularly, before i upgraded my Bartok to the newest versions. Certainly, You already did that.

If so, and if it is still not working, i must admit i can‘t help. I am sorry for it.

Regards
Carsten

Yes I have already updated.
Thanks Carsten.
You have been very kind
I really hope that DCS can solve this problem.

Hi Stefano — some other things that might be worth trying, though I admit I’m just guessing here:

1. Do you have enough time before any of these crashes to try turning off some of the services (Qobuz, Minimserver and Roon you said) you use on Mosaic?

2. Have you tried opening Mosaic with the Bartok turned off, then turning on the Bartok? Mosaic might make (or not!) the connection a bit more gracefully if it is already running. (The opposite is also true, but it doesn’t sound like your problem can get worse without smoke coming out of your DAC…)

3. Is there anyone near you with a different dCS device you could try with your installations (iPhone, iPad and Android) of Mosaic? A dealer would be good, but I’m not sure how many there are in Italy. If that works, then it would narrow down the potential problems.

Stefano, I am sure this is very frustrating, so I appreciate the patience and thoroughness you have exhibited working through this. It’s been fascinating to read this thread. Although I don’t have a Bartok, so I can’t fully replicate Stefano’s environment, I’ve been trying to see if I can get Mosaic to crash (which has never happened to me that I recall). Something about this line in your OP caught my eye. I’ve had enough flakiness over the years with multiple apps over network that I am often suspicious that something else, something not obvious, is causing the problem. The fact that Mosaic worked for a month, but then started crashing, suggests that something was introduced to Stefano’s system at that point, not related to Mosaic, or either of his i-device’s hardware. So, I have a few questions:

1. What devices are hosting your Roon Core and your MinimServer? What versions of each are you running?

2. Is Roon Core operating while this is happening? Is the Roon client running on your iPhone/iPad while this is happening? Have you tried shutting Roon down completely while testing Mosaic?

3. Have you tried installing another UPnP server and turning off Minim? I know Minim is the preferred, dCS-supported UPnP server, but this would just be for testing. I use Plex Media Server for this purpose, and it does just fine.

4. Just so I am clear, while you are home, have you tried running Mosaic with Bartok switched off, or better yet, powered up but disconnected from Ethernet?

And finally a question for @James: is it possible for Stefano to re-install the latest Bartok firmware without using Mosaic, to make sure Bartok is okay?

Dear Stefano,

As i proposed i‘ve been searching in german panels, and found some reports of strange behaviour of the fritz!Box 7330, all starting a while after prior normal function.

Two guys stated to have had problems with media streaming, interestingly both saved it by changing the master password of the Fritz!Box. To be honest, i do not understand this technically, but it may be worth a try, and is free of cost.
One user reported that it was not possible achiving a stable connection to his multimedia Television, as long as he connected the telly to LAN port 2. He set Port 1 to „Power mode“ on, which means at 1000 mBit/s, connected it with an unmanaged switch, and plugged both multimedia devices in the switch. Then it worked again.

Hope these hints may be helpful.

Cordiali saluti

1 Like

Sounds like “Fritz-the-Cat” Box. But good sleuthing Carsten. I hope it helps Stefano.

Wow. Fritz the Cat! That takes me back. I was still five years away when it was released, but I saw it pretty young. Come to think of it, I’m both grateful and horrified by some of my parents’ choices. “Man Bites Dog” at 14 was pretty out there.

(Sorry, Stefano — back on topic. I hope you have reliable music again soon. GOOD LUCK!)

Carsten, as a user of an earlier model Fritz!box ( 3490) every time I have needed to ask a third party technical advice resource about some kind of network oddity there has always been the question " You haven’t got a Fritz!box have you ?" :smiley:.

So they have a reputation. Stefano you have been warned !

Fritz!Boxes are definitely good, as made in Berlin. But, as far as i‘m informed, technical support for the 7330 model expired a couple of years ago. One possibility for strange behaviour, beside firmware Version, could be software certificates beyond their expiration date. I had this problem with an Easy Box.

AVM is a consumer electronics company founded in 1986 in Berlin, Germany. The company produces communications, networking devices such as DSL, ISDN, Wireless and VoIP products. It is well known for its popular FRITZ!Box series.

The name Fritz was chosen “because a non-technical name has been sought which should indicate winking German workmanship and abroad.”

Fritz was a name given to German troops by the British, Russian/Soviet and others in the First and Second World Wars, equivalent to Tommy, as the British troops were called by German and other troops.

I know: don’t mention the war. But they started it… to mention :grin:

1 Like

Hi Ben!

“Do you have enough time before any of these crashes to try turning off some of the services (Qobuz, Minimserver and Roon you said) you use on Mosaic?”

No I don’t have time. I don’t even have the time to switch off the Bartok.

“Have you tried opening Mosaic with the Bartok turned off, then turning on the Bartok? Mosaic might make (or not!) the connection a bit more gracefully if it is already running. (The opposite is also true, but it doesn’t sound like your problem can get worse without smoke” coming out of your DAC…)"

No I give it a try!

“Is there anyone near you with a different dCS device you could try with your installations (iPhone, iPad and Android) of Mosaic? A dealer would be good, but I’m not sure how many there are in Italy. If that works, then it would narrow down the potential problems.”

I don’t know nobody.
Yes the dealer would be good. But he is far away and the Covid situation doesn’t help.

Hi Greg.
Thanks for you help.

“What devices are hosting your Roon Core and your MinimServer? What versions of each are you running?”

The latest version of Roon and MinimServer are on a TS-473 Qnap Nas

“Is Roon Core operating while this is happening? Is the Roon client running on your iPhone/iPad while this is happening? Have you tried shutting Roon down completely while testing Mosaic?”

Yes Roon is operating and is running on iPhone/iPad. No I don’t have tried to shut down Roon. I give it a try,

“Have you tried installing another UPnP server and turning off Minim? I know Minim is the preferred, dCS-supported UPnP server, but this would just be for testing. I use Plex Media Server for this purpose, and it does just fine.”

No. I have Plex too and a couple of another ones. I give it a try.

“Just so I am clear, while you are home, have you tried running Mosaic with Bartok switched off, or better yet, powered up but disconnected from Ethernet?”

No I give it a try