Mosaic 2.0 . The next thing?

Well what did you expect? Embrace design by forum committee? Not how things usually go.

Your efforts are likely an exercise in futility, given you’ve zero information of the internal roadmap and product development at dcs. At worst, might come across as condescending lecturing to the company on how to develop.

Note that I have no horse in this race, as I only use mosaic to control audio settings. Personally appreciate your efforts but as mentioned above, armchair quarterbacking doesn’t usually translate into actual touchdowns on the field.

2 Likes

Excellent, first time I read that, but I guess it is a common say in the US.

Anyway, very funny :laughing:

1 Like

It may well end up being futile, but in my experience (product design) a group of existing and potential users volunteering their desire for improvements — specific requests included! — is the sort of thing that should be cherished and cultivated, not largely ignored.

Design by committee is normally a shitshow, but that’s not what I think this thread is — it’s an invitation to take something that some people already love* (Mosaic) and make it better.

*ok, maybe “like” “prefer” or “tolerate” would be more accurate :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yes, that never happens on the Internet. :rofl:

Thank you for the feedback which has been provided on this thread so far. It is incredibly helpful to see how different people use Mosaic and from that in what ways they feel it can be improved. As I mentioned further up the thread, the suggestions which are given are fed back into the Product Management process – we assess which potential new features are desirable and viable for future releases, and build them into the product roadmap from there wherever possible.

The reason it would be incredibly difficult, and of detriment to both dCS and our customers, to share a product roadmap at any point is that it has to be fluid. Often during the engineering process of adding new features to a product, what seems possible, and in some cases even trivial to add, becomes impossible due to a number of factors (priorities, availability of parts, software and hardware limitations and idiosyncrasies). We try not to announce what we are working on ahead of time in case we have to change approach, which means we are not forced to release a feature which is not up to dCS standards and our customers do not expect a feature which is then dropped.

The thread is incredibly useful for us and while it may not be possible for me to respond with a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to any particular suggestion here (again, it may seem trivial to ad initially but turn into a massive engineering project once you get into the thick of it) the suggestions are all fed back to the team so that we can build the product roadmap in a way that benefits everyone who uses Mosaic.

So in short, thank you very much for the feedback, and please keep it coming!

10 Likes

Ahh, @mwilson no contribution to advance the thread but a little dose of condescension mixed into phony appreciation. Nice cocktail.

Cheers mate!

1 Like

James. Here’s my feedback. As far as I’m concerned Mosaic is done. It does more than I need. Put the efforts into continuing to improve the SQ of Vivaldi.

4 Likes

@James thanks for the assurance.

Would be happy to help in any kind of further details on the requirements/issues I have put in my list.

Regards,
Sourav

I fall into the group that uses Mosaic only for settings.

Seems to me that dCS might benefit from a survey emailed to dCS owners. I bet only a tiny percentage of owners are represented on this forum, and comments here may be quite different from the owners who don’t participate in the forum.

4 Likes

The biggest thing I’d like to see is the numeric keypad added to Mosaic for disc playback track selection so I could finally stop using the deprecated dedicated Rossini app.

I use the Mosaic app as my primary (only) source. Have a Tidal and a Qobuz subscription. Quite seldom I play a CD (I have the Rossini Player + Clock).

Andrea

Schoolyard bullies are just that. Bullies in a school yard.

I forgot if I said before… credentials - BSc in computer science, German degree in business administration, professional experience working for a world class systems integrator, years of running money (of which a good part is judging companies’ or industries’ prospects with limited information).

Thank you @James for weighing in. :pray: Shooting from the hip - a well designed internal database with content ingested from all services would augment the experience a lot. I know, that takes work to pull off properly, but is also rather everyday stuff in software engineering. The integrations are there already.

Andre @Goodstuff, I agree market research is where it needs to start. The instrument of the buyer persona is very useful. One can look at current owners, past owners, ones on the fence and ones who are potentials but don’t know dCS. In the end there would be maybe 10-15 personas. It’s a bit complicated but so much better than just statistics. It also helps communicate ‘the customer’ across departments. A market research firm can do focus groups, interviews, questionnaires, etc. If I were an executive, I would want to sit in on some of the live things. The personas can be associated with market sizes to gauge attractiveness.

The personas can then be used for user story mapping. It’s important for that exercise to know what the user’s purpose is. For example, Mosaic works for ‘initiate playback’. It does not work for ‘interact with music collection’. My collection is not small and not large. Some 2,500 albums - 2,000 of them offline. Mosaic currently does not let me interact with that collection properly. There’s so much possible with databases, filters, metadata and views. Roon Focus is maybe 60% of what is doable with good design. Why shouldn’t I readily see my albums for a furious mood? I can look at the metal genre or the electronic genre but then I’m already looking at 300 albums. Yes, there’s probably no metadata anywhere readily available for that. But if the interface is done well, it’s a snap to drop albums into mood buckets once. Or the user story ‘discover music’ - it doesn’t have to be an algorithm. It can be content partnerships. I would actually much prefer that over machines choosing my taste for me. Or the user story ‘manage library’ - that’s a royal pain today. Buying the music, downloading it, tagging it, putting it into the collection. All fragmented and arcane (MP3Tag, Yate,…). There can even be a desktop component for library management. Subscription based to cover cost and a nice marketing tool for dCS. New people get to know the brand. The ones who have digital collections worth mentioning. Roon library management sucks by the way.

Roon is somehow positioned as consumption overload and the rush of media. Spot on a main trend in consumerism. Not dumb. Mosaic could be positioned for serious music lovers and collectors. If there are enough of them of course. This can be a real differentiator. Not just ‘a well done interface’.

Implementation comes down to people, process, cost. Always. Do I have the people? If not, can I realistically get them on board? Process is well established in software product management. It needs the person with the know how and skillset to implement and run it. That’s a dedicated job. Cost is an envelope determined by the usefulness of Mosaic in terms of long term risk management, customer loyalty, marketing potential.

Do I want to start developing a proper Mosaic the moment Roon goes belly up? That’s late. How many people do I lose, because Mosaic can be better? Marketing research can tell. How many new customers can I get with an upgraded Mosaic? Again, good marketing research will reveal that.

In the end, it’s probably a question of how much of a software company do I want to be. My personal view is, there’s great potential in exploring that route despite the implementation risks.

2 Likes

In my opinion, dCS Mosaic, just the way it is, distills to perfection the simplicity and elegance of its hardware counterparts, making the experience akin to glancing at a timeless Patek Calatrava on the wrist.

Attempting to become an all-encompassing media center app leaves me apprehensive of potential bloat. Jack of all trades and master of none is what immediately comes to mind. I’d rather dcs focus on what they do best, for so far execution has been just about as perfect for my use case as can be.

Brevity is the soul of wit, the great Shakespeare once wrote. The current dcs mosaic delivers spectacularly well on this front.

7 Likes

While I do not use Mosaic to play music, I engage with it during almost all listening sessions. Filter/upsampling changes, to bring out the best in the source material.

I retain a key interest in the app being nimble, fast, and rock solid—which it sometimes isn’t, requiring a manual reboot of Rossini. To me these aspects are more important than any music curation efforts.

You do not get to control the narrative on what Mosaic should be, and your opinions are just as worthy—or worthless—as mine.

4 Likes

I control nothing and don’t take ****. Simple. Furthermore, there are lazy opinions, educated opinions, well thought through opinions, opinions with a hidden agenda, opinions of users, of makers, opinions on details, on the whole. Lots of versions of opinions of obviously different value.

Thanks for making me chuckle. An arbiter of opinion values on an Internet forum. I’ll probably go ahead and ignore you going forward, you’re of no use to me.

3 Likes

You are accusing me of the exact same thing you are guilty of. That’s a propaganda tactic in use at least since World War II. Plus - my prior post picking apart your literary minded contribution conveniently disappeared. Repeatedly reaching into the dirty tricks bag is beyond the abusive mark and hence in violation of the forum rules.

The mask has fallen.

And now, it would be really nice to get back to a humane, thoughtful and strictly issue focussed manipulation free exchange.

I believe to have built a well thought through case. It took several weeks to develop. And am quite sure neutral experts can see there’s true value and little to no fluff. That’s more dedication than anyone can expect.

When one finds himself in an unacceptable situation there are three options. 1) Change ones mind. 2) Change the situation. 3) Leave.

I have lived through many lifetimes worth of toxicity. So 1) is off the table. 2) can’t work. 3) remains. I am grateful to those here who helped me go forward on the audio journey and say good bye. I’ll probably read now and then but am closing my account.

Guys,

We’ve been watching this thread for a few days and purposely keeping out of it because we don’t want to be seen as heavy handed but it’s got to the point where it’s been raised by someone just reading the thread (not a contributor) that it’s going somewhat off the rails …

I don’t want to close it and I don’t want to be deleting comments and/or moderating postings so please keep it friendly … There’s no need for, or purpose in, you guys taking pot shots and digs at each other - please play nicely. :slight_smile:

We’re trying to give you an opportunity to have a place to give us suggestions and James has pointed out that the suggestions made have been noted and have been passed into our processes for consideration and that is the way that this has to work.

It cannot work as a discussion on how something should, could, may, shouldn’t, can or can’t be implemented - that’s just not practical in this environment and is something that the software team themselves will deal with, nor can it work as an ‘I’ve made my requests and now I want to see where they fit within the future roadmap for the company…’ - we don’t know here what suggestions will or won’t get implemented or when that would be.

James and I are very keen to try to accommodate the feedback that you give us and make sure that gets back into the processes here - for example, some of the feedback given on the update thread elsewhere was being discussed between the software director, the app developers, James and I on Wednesday / Thursday last week.

Cheers

Phil

11 Likes