Mosaic 2.0 . The next thing?

Ben, congrats! You will love the SQ improvement.

Water is (nearly) free too, wine is not. You can drink water faster. I hope :grinning:

BTW, Mosaic is not free. You paid for it when purchasing your Vivaldi.

2 Likes

If 2.0 is ever a thing in future, The dcs Mosaic should be competing in the area for sound quality and seamless integration with dCS DACs, instead of competing UI interface and user-friendly ability.

If there ever be a new version of the dcs mosaic app I hope It can perform better sound quality because it should have the best synergy with the dcs source code and ring dac. Although I know that dCS claims that the app sole aim is to sent the data to the DAC and let the ring dac do all the magic and does not affect SQ at all because it is just digital 0 and 1. But who knows, maybe DCS will find some new things in the network side of things in the future? We can never rule out any potential. Something like Nordost Qnet? Although dCS had claimed long ago it does not matter as long as the internet meets its specs in transferring the data. We will not have to start a new discussion on it. But perhaps a future network board upgrade for all devices?

The dcs Mosaic actually performs well in it’s function that imitate a CD transport playback but with more freedom in music selection and queueing. I have no complaints at all.

Not true, Mosaic is free, you can download it even though you never bought a dCS product…It might not be very useful, but you can do it…for free :wink:

The costs for developing and maintaining dCS Mosaic are paid by the sale of dCS products using it. So you have paid for it. People can download Mosaic for free without owning a dCS product, but then they cannot use it. If you can use Mosaic, then it was not free. Like Roon: you can download it for free, until you want to use it.

2 Likes

Totally agree @Ermos . We all are paying for Mosaic’s development/maintenance/enhancement cost which is already pegged into the dCS’s dac’s pricing; either someone is buying Bartok, Rossini or Vivaldi.

I personally will also like dCS to spend more effort/focus in further development of Mosaic irrespective of the fact that I may still will use Roon for some casual listening.

But for some level of critical listening I shall prefer Mosaic as I also did find that Mosaic’s upnp implementation sounding better than Roon ready.

But to make someone to use Mosaic more effectively the search and metadata capability of Mosaic has to be much much better. One example I can give is Naim’s implementation of their new app for Naim Unity/NDX-2/ND555.

Regards,
Sourav

1 Like

Well…not really, at least not everyone…

The first release of Mosaic is in May 2019…The Vivaldi stack is on sale since 2012.

If I bought my Vivaldi stack in 2013, I obviously did not pay for a software available 6 years later.

You do not seem to get it.

Anyway, before the unified Mosaic, there have been the dedicated apps, for Vivaldi, Rossini and Bartok. All free, after you paid for the purchase of the unit(s). Also, Mosaic is not just software, it is the app and the physical hardware component and associated software that is installed in the dCS product.

1 Like

I got it eventually, dCS built a hardware in 2012 and the software in 2019 :joy:

Unless they use the software to match the capability of the existing hardware, it usually the beauty of the software, but not in that case, I got it :wink:

Thank you very much Ben @all2ofme for writing in. I’ll write more at a later point - only a first comment. Your priority list reflects both the strategy Roon is following and how it is a double edged sword for established DAC manufacturers like dCS. Roon seems to aim to become the Windows of home audio. In the PC world the pervasiveness of Windows meant hardware became interchangeable, competition increased, margins decreased and business models like Dell’s survived where there’s a lot of focus on logistics. For the DAC manufacturer it means the customer is loyal to Roon, not the DAC. What the DAC can compete on is reduced to sound quality and build. That appears to be a fragile proposition. Both short term and long term. In the short run competitors build something that is sounding better prompting customers to switch. In the long run - where are the next generations of avid audiophiles coming from who are willing to pay otherworldly prices for dCS sound quality? Just one tidbit of data on this can be found on Visual Capitalist. Media consumption is decidedly splintering as generations get younger. That means more distraction and less time for precious music reproduction:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/how-media-consumption-evolved-throughout-covid-19/

Mosaic concerns product management. McKinsey strategy consultants are usually excellent at structuring topics. The above table gives an overview. What it also shows is - the technology and development part is but one in a wide field.

The original is found here: https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/technology-media-and-telecommunications/how-we-help-clients/software-product-management-and-development/product-management

2 Likes

If Roon is the Windows of the audio world then I guess I am correct in refusing to use it as well. :grin:

Yup. :grin: (I’m writing this on a Mac.)

1 Like

I am now using Mosaic for dCS Rossini Apex Dac with Rossini Transport for around 2 weeks.

Few things seem to be absolutely needed by yesterday -

1. Ability to change input name from Mosaic. One has to use rs232 connector for that which is almost pre-historic. I am yet to find a right one which can be used from Mac.

2. One should be able to change tracks of CD in Rossini transport using a number pad. I believe it was there in previous app.

3. When one uses music usb stick/drive in the usb1 input, one cannot do ‘play all’ from the app.

4. Ability to change the upsampling type of the transport from the Mosaic.

5. There is no direct way to go to the service list from the left navigation panel. One has to tap the main dCS Rossini logo on the top of the left navigation, then tap the box and then can get the service menu. This is very unintuitive.

6. No folder level search functionality for upnp. It makes it almost unusable if a folder/subfolder has large number of albums (which is the case for many of us who have large number of albums ripped/downloaded)

7. From any track one should be able to do ‘Play all from here’

Few great to have -

1. Use disc Id to get metadata and album art from musicbrainz/Discogs when transport is connected and show in the app

2. Any new update of new firmware available should be an alert on the main screen itself.

Regards,
Sourav

FWIW, this converter is what I used with my Mac, but then you need to use the macOS “screen” command to to talk to the Rossini.

TRENDnet USB to Serial Converter

It’s sad that we have never gotten a numeric keypad in Mosaic (though the revision 2 update finally brought us forward/back track jump arrows that work.)

Though dCS officially discourages its use, the older Rossini app continues to be available, still works great and does include a numeric keypad.

Note the Rossini was introduced in 2016, when serial interfaces were a lot more common. :grin:

I just use the remote for the transport to go to tracks. Full numeric pad there.

2 Likes

Thanks @BillK .

I did not find the female version of TRENDnet USB to Serial (Rossini has the Male end of RS232) online. I ordered the one from CableCReation which has female one.

However, on using the screen command in Mac I am not clear when to use the command ‘NAME n = newName’ in screen. Is it in the screen command itself ? Or if I start with 'screen ’ it will start a new window and there I need to issue ‘NAME n = newName’ ?

Regards,
Sourav

You will connect the adapter to the RS-232 port on the Rossini.

Then on your Mac you will look for the appropriate serial device.

Open a Terminal window and do a:

ls /dev/tty.*

Upon locating the device you want to use, you will use screen like so:

screen /dev/tty.usbserial-<some stuff here> 115200

This should connect to the serial port, so you should be able to do the NAME command here, e,g.:

NAME 4 = CABLETV

When you are done, exit screen by typing:

control-a D

You can also just kill the Terminal window, and disconnect the serial cable if you so choose.

Let’s make sure we keep the thread on the topic of Mosaic 2.0.

I have to say that I am disappointed. The only reaction from dCS staff was a deflective post. Unless this becomes a proper give and take I stop sharing thoughts.

2 Likes

Agreed @anon30536008

I would like to see some kind of short listed enhancements/fixes (from all the issues/suggestions provided here by all of us) and a roadmap for fixing them.

Regards,
Sourav

2 Likes