Melco S100 new addition

I received my new Melco S100 yesterday. The Paul Hynes SR4T has been sitting here for a few months.
This morning I am listening to the new addition for the first time (obviously not run in at all).
Listening to this: Mozart: Piano Concertos 25 & 26 | Linn Records
I won’t rave about veils being lifted. I’ll just say it sounds like music should
I have adopted to judge the quality of gear by the degree of absence of irritation while listening. With this addition there is extremely little. Simply wonderful.

1 Like

Congrats… I love mine too… a little too much that I bought another to daisy chain :stuck_out_tongue: … the improvements with chaining them quite surprising :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also owning the S100; such a great sounding device! Now testing a Farad S3 LPS connected to it. It’s a keeper, for sure!

Have you compared it to Etherregen?

Not myself, but others have and reported that the Melco is better.

I saw opposite opinions also, depending on the environment of ER…

Farad is a good power supply, I am waiting for one, after testing at home.

1 Like

Could obviously be system dependant. But then again, if that’s the case my personal comparison wouldn’t help you either. :wink:

I think you will love the Farad S3. I compared it to my Nuprime 12V LPS, which is already a significant step up over the standard Melco SMPS. The Farad is simply quieter than the Nuprime, providing finer timbre detail and a more spacious soundstage. The standard SMPS delivered with the S100 is not bad at all, by the way. I moved it to my Ziggo (ISP) router and it improved the sound (and TV image too) considerably compared to the $5 (probably) standard Ziggo SMPS.

1 Like

I‘ve compared them in both my humble systems and my favourite is still SOtM (full mod) clocked, followed by Dela S100. The ER (clocked) to me plays louder but is rough and not refined compared to the others. Using Cybershaft OP14 or Esoteric G-02x for clock duties and custom LPS providing 12V. In my systems, the LPS plays a huge part in the performance of all these switches and I found that daisy chaining switches also provides improvements and not subtle too. These findings are only from my experience/experiments and I’ve no data to support… merely sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried both, sent the s100 back and kept the ER

1 Like

Just a quick remark for those that might not be aware: the Dela S100 is the exact same switch as the Melco S100. The only difference is the brand name.

2 Likes

Yes, AFAIK Dela is a brand name used in Japan.

In total you won’t save much directly importing one from Japan as even though it has a price of around 50% of the price in the EU. Once you take account of adding shipping, duty, tax and the likely need to sort out a power supply plus potential warranty issues with the sheer hassle of doing it I would not bother. Some retailers outside of Japan appear to have been grey importing them but I note that most of these online offers have now been withdrawn. No doubt lawyers have been busy.

As it also seems that other brands are offering modifications( caps, wiring) to the Dela switch for audiophile use it raises the question of whether the Melco version is wholly identical.