Lina upgrade to 2.0 possibly?

Great stuff!!

I’m definitely waiting. Couldn’t spring for a Bartock all at once why I went Lina route

Do be patient though, it took 4 years on the Bartok for v2.0 :laughing:

By the way, turns out Lina isn’t the first at dCS with the Artix-7, XMOS combination; :man_facepalming:t2: 4-years of owning the Bartók and I only just realised it too actually uses the same Artix-7 chip on the Control Board underneath the soon to be Apex-upgraded Ring DAC Board which has it’s own pair of Spartan-3s.

5 Likes

To put things in perspective, my Chord mojo2 with its “lossless DSP” uses an ARTIX XC7A15T - a chip with far fewer logic cells

Rossini has the Artix-7 too:

This is a freeze from a YouTube video of the Rossini 2.0 Player:

The 2 stacked PCBs:

5 Likes

That’s a lot of processing power across those 3 fgpas. Hopefully good news for future updates…

2 Likes

The potential for future Lina DAC updates is also why I confidently bought into this system, dCS reputation notwithstanding. It’s inspiring to see the level of tech contributing to this audio beauty’s guts. I hope updates come more frequently and even sooner than with Bartok. I love the sound I get now but would love a few more filter options, particularly emphasizing spatial cues, imaging, and transients. Oh, and higher PCM and DSD rate options would be great too. Right now, the DSD options seem to invoke a bit too much jitter and blunt the impact and detail of the bass too much.

The one thing driving me bonkers at the moment is the filter-switching issue. I know they’re working hard at it, but it can take some of the joy out of a listening session. Truthfully, the fix (and hopefully some additional features) can’t come soon enough!

1 Like

Hi there, welcome to the dCS community :smiley:

I assume by “DSD option” you mean the DSD Upsampling… Do you have a specific example - album/track - where you found this issue of “…a bit too much jitter”, and was it in comparison to not invoking DSD Upsampling? :thinking:

I was looking at my Network today and noticed the Lina shows Naim mu-so. Is this common in the Bartock, Rossini and Vivaldi also?

Chris, what App is that? It’s clearly got some “wires crossed”.

The Lina’s Ethernet interface will show up as “Texas Instruments” as the Ethernet Hardware address assignment is based on the Texas Instruments Sitara ARM Chip’s built-in MAC on the S800 streaming board within the Lina. It’s the same on the Vivlaid, Rossini, and Batok - they all use the same S800 streaming board.

They have nothing to do with Naim.

1 Like

I’ve got a Ubiquiti network.

Very possible it’s misidentifying then

Thanks!!

Either misidentifying, or possibly cached results that haven’t been properly updated; the Naim might have been allocated with that same IP address at some point in the past.

1 Like

Not in my house. Lol. All Pass Labs and Mac

Dunno. I’ll try clearing the cache and see what happens. Not that big a deal. I was just curious

If you have a Ubiquiti router running UniFi OS, it will try to determine from the MAC address who made the device and what type of device it is.

For devices that are listed as unknown, customers can tell Ubiquiti that the MAC address belongs to a certain product. They will then update their records and even create an icon for that device, which is pretty cool. Well, it is until it goes wrong!

They’ve almost certainly accepted a request from someone with a Naim unit and assumed that the vendor code in the MAC belongs to Naim rather than TI.

3 Likes

Thanks Jeremy, good to know! (I don’t have any experience with Ubiquiti).

2 Likes

Thanks Jeremy

1 Like

I just remembered that Naim uses the same supplier for their streaming boards, so it would show-up with the same vendor Ethernet Hardware address assignment :laughing:. Ubiquiti should probably just reflect Texas Instruments.

https://fccid.io/2ACUR-NP800/Internal-Photos/Internal-photos-3239848

1 Like

I agree, I think they should double check against the list of vendor codes before committing an update to their database. Much of the time their process works, but there are occasions like this where it can be confusing…

1 Like

@Anupc To clarify, I prefer DXD upsampling over DSD when using the dCS Lina Network DAC. I base this preference on a few measurement reports that show more jitter when using DSD upsampling. This aligns with what I hear when using both the dCS Lina and a DENAFRIPS DAC.

While DSD upsampling can provide a more spacious and reverberant sound, I find that it comes at the cost of a blunted transient response. Specifically, the attack and impact of the music are subdued too much for my taste. This isn’t surprising, given that the dCS Lina manual recommends using DXD if greater resolution is desired.

Overall, I believe that the DXD option is the better choice for achieving greater resolution and a more dynamic sound. If you’re looking for a more spacious sound with more reverberation, DSD may be the way to go. But for me, DXD provides a more satisfying listening experience.

Understandable. Most folks prefer to keep PCM within the PCM domain, i.e. just DXD upsampling, and not invoke DSD upsampling for PCM tracks.

I assume you mean Graph 2 on the Lab Report of HiFi News Lina review? Or was there other measurements you’ve seen online?

High resolution 96kHz/24-bit jitter spectrum with F1 filters (DXD upsampling, black; DSD, red)

Hello @Anupc, I agree with your point about keeping each format within its domain to avoid distortion, loss, or unnecessary sonic degradation.
The jitter chart you mentioned is the main one I’m referring to; the measurements correlate clearly with what is audible. However, it’s important to note that other factors can contribute to the overall sense of audible smearing and degradation.

I’d like to know how much a Lina or Rossini clock can reduce these issues for each format. Additionally, how much improvement, if any, can be heard and sensed with either the Bartok or Rossini Apex DACs by themselves?

It’s worth mentioning that, aside from Vivaldi, Lina is the only DAC in the dCS lineup that achieves such stellar distortion figures. Maintaining such fantastic linearity contributes not only to purity and resolution but also to a more accurate timbre.
I would like to hear your thoughts and others on these topics.