Lina Clock with Bartok

I am considering adding a Lina clock to my Bartok and was looking to see how to automatically put the Lina clock into standby when the Bartok is put into standby. I see that the question has already been asked and that it’s not possible to link the Lina clock and the Bartok for auto Standby operation.

As such would it be decremental to leave the Lina clock on all the time, or will this shorten the ‘life’ of the Lina clock in someway?

Hi Rohan,

We tend to look into these things internally too and there is no indication either way to suggest that turning off a piece of kit when not being used or just leaving it on either shortens or extends its life to any statistically significant degree.

I hope that helps.

Phil

1 Like

Phil - thank you for the advice - makes it an easy decision.

On a related question - is the clock output a sine or square wave? Asking as I understand that this makes a difference to the clock connecting cables (Square wave requires a higher bandwidth cable). As a result can replacing the standard cables shipped - which I assume are of a sufficient quality make any difference to sound quality?

I have come to learn that in the audio world cables can make a difference - although I would not have thought that the clock cables would have much impact provided the clock signal arrives at the DAC correctly

Hi Rohan,

You might be interested to read through this:

Hi,

dCS clocks are square wave outputs and you are fine for clock cables as long as they are compliant with the AES/EBU/110ohm standard - the actual clock frequencies in use on the wordclocks are relatively low frequency so you don’t need to worry there … the clocks are relatively-low-kHz rather than MHz or GHz.

I would suggest that if you are concerned that different clock cables affect sound quality then you should audition other clock cables for yourself and decide based upon what you hear before spending money. (I know that generally that answer doesn’t go down well and I’m sorry if that is the case here.)

BR

Phil

Yes, that is correct for AAES/EBU connections( i.e. balanced using XLR terminations). But this thread relates to clock cables, coax terminated with BNC connectors The correct impedance for dCS unit connection is 75 ohms.

@fernar , please note.

1 Like

Phil,

Thank you for your response. i will take your advice and only upgrade the clock cables based on listening to hear if there is a difference - while I understand that system sound can change when changing speaker/interconnect and even digital interconnects, I remain a bit skeptical in relation to interconnect for clocks - however I will keep an open mind and try before I buy

You’re absolutely correct Pete - I was having a brain-fart moment as I had been just having a discussion with someone else about AES/EBU digital audio cables.

RCA / BNC Clock cables should be 75 ohm but at clock frequencies you don’t need to get concerned about the signal being square wave …

I shall go sit in a corner with a pointed cap for ten minutes for not clearing my noggin between conversations!

BR

P

1 Like