iPhone madness question

iPhones now having USB-C, has anyone tested the benefit of running into a dCS clock with USB then to a DAC ?

Both Tidal and Apple Music appear to deliver their high res formats over the USB-C output.

If you are speaking of a USB input on a dCS wprdclock then I guess you are thinking of the Scrlatti/Paganini generation.

USB C has no advantage relating to sound quality than its USB predecessor which was found on many phones e.g. Samsung Galaxy. Qobuz has been able to deliver hi-res from its Android app for many years. I did try this and CD standard files stored on a G7 phone using that app and USB-Pro player software. It worked and a friend uses his Apple Music via his Apple phone into the DAC of a Marantz CD player.

I try to steer clear of much subjective commentary but I will leave it at saying that the phone experiment was inadequate sonically compared to the PC/JRiver MC player that I used at the time and my friend told me yesterday that he will not be renewing his Apple Music subscription.

However if you al already have a streaming service subscription it may still be worth a try to make up your own mind.

It’s a Puccini clock with USB.

My point re the iPhone was that the previous Lightning connector could not pass high res so this wasn’t an option for iPhone users.

I think the specific technical question is:

• Will the iPhone 15 USB-C output operate in asynchronous mode outputting high res digital and therefore be able to benefit from the external clock ?

Thanks for the information about the output capacity of earlier Apple phones. Yes, USB is asynchronous. The advantage is the timing of packets sent from the source being set by the DAC or DAC/wordclock combination rather than resulting from computer ( or phone) processing.