IOS DCS Bartok App and VoiceOver?

Has anyone had any luck using Roon with no sight?
I wrote to Roon and they sent me this link, I did take a look, but I’m no computer boffin so didn’t really understand it

I really ought to leave a response to Roon users but I cannot see anything in that linked thread directly relating to unsighted use. Perhaps the layout of the new controller is better suited to use with VoiceOver?

Just to move a little OT, Roon users may find this of interest:

tlomaczenie
Veb Controller extension, yes, this is the only way a blind person can use Roon. I have used this solution for a long time. It’s not without its downsides,
but it works pretty well. You can play music from both local sources and Tidal. Unfortunately, there is no preview of the playlist and you cannot save
the playlist for playback. There is also no information about the quality of the played material. If these restrictions are OK. it is worth looking at.
I can tell you how to install it. Currently, however, I prefer DCS Mosaic and Minimserver …
Robert

1 Like

There are many claims being brought in the US for ADA noncompliance so I guess dcs are lucky they don’t live in litigation-happy US of A.

1 Like

The DCS class, however, is evidenced by the fact that their application has been improved in terms of accessibility for the blind and now works very well with VO. That’s why I use it now and not Roon although I have a lifetime license for Roon. I would like to thank DCS for adapting Mosaic to the needs of the blind. Thanks to the corrections, I can enjoy the sound of the music I love.

Thanks for the kind offer, I may well take you up on it at a later date, but I will wait till I buy the Bartok and play around with Mosaic first… I might even be asking for help with that!
Mac

Exactly what I thought Pete, couldn’t see any reference to visually impaired, but thankfully Robert seems on the ball
Mac

I will help with Mosaic with pleasure. DCS Mosaic is blind friendly and easy to use with VO. It has a few places that need to be corrected, but as it works today, it can be recommended to a blind person. I also made some changes to the Minimserver configuration and the current configuration is very convenient for me. I have the most important information about the track being played, as well as the album’s release date, format and resolution.
Robert

1 Like

Hi,
I’ve got a Bartok on home trial for a few days and I can confirm that the Mosaic app is very blind user friendly with iPhone and VO.
Robert, you mention Minimserver, I haven’t come across this, how are you using it… phone, PC?
Cheers
Mac

The minim server is installed on the Qnap server where the audio files of my collection are stored. The server is in a different room. Both PC and Mac installation is possible. Unfortunately, the Minimwatch app is a bit more difficult to handle. This is an application written in the Java environment. With a little self-denial, however, it is possible to configure the MinimSerwer so that it displays the information we need.
Have you noticed that DCS Mosaic closes on its own from time to time? I am using this app on iPad Air II. This is quite an old device, but still supported because I have the latest IOS 15.1 on it.

1 Like

Eamon, just a couple of footnotes to Robert’s post.

MinimServer is the only UPnP server software that dCS officially supports. So if you have locally stored files you will need to install this on the device serving the files to Mosaic e.g. NAS .You will need to have Java installed to run it. The current version is MinimServer 2 . There is a basic free version but the paid option allows you to access its its full facilities which, in a Mosaic context, allows you to configure what Mosaic can display. For example I have added the ability for searches to be grouped by initial character . So I can look for musical works only by composers whose name begins with the letter G or recordings only with artists whose name begins with the letter S etc. I have also added the display of track numbers.

To configure MinimServer and to rescan the database when you add a new recording you need also to install MinimWatch. This would normally be installed on a computer which is on the same network as the NAS and Mosaic. I cannot comment on its accessibility for blind users but I would imagine that Robert must be correct as in use it only produces a small sized menu on my 17" laptop. Fortunately it is more or less set and forget ( except for that rescan command from time to time).

Of course if you do not use local file replay and rely on , say, streaming services then this will be of academic interest only.

Par, very specific and comprehensive explanation. I admire your ability to accurately and simply describe, which is understandable to a beginner.
The configuration of the Minimserver using MinimWatch is not often done so it is not a big obstacle for a blind person.
I am curious about the information about configuring the Minimserver to search only for composers whose surnames start with the letter, for example, “G”.
What entry should be added for this to work. Currently, if I only entered the letter “G”, I would receive all the artists whose surnames or names contain this letter.

You have to add a small piece of coding to the appropriate field in MinimWatch. The display in Mosaic will then change in accordance.I will let you know what this is. However I have builders in my place at the moment replacing all of my windows so my system is currently unusable being protected under dust sheets. I need to open MinimWatch with the NAS running to check on what you need. They should be finished by Friday so I will post the details then.

NB: I think you are referring to entering “G” as a search term. This is not quite hat I mean. Once configured Mosaic can display Artist or Album title or Composer with a list dedicated to the first letter rather than just a list from A-Z. For example the default “Album” display lets you choose " Show all" and then “View all” which produces a long A-Z list. With the custom configuration you can select G “view all” and that would display all of your albums whose title starts with “G”. What is displayed will depend upon how your metadata has been completed. So if looking in Composer, B will show, amongst other “B” composers, all albums where Bach is the composer where this composer has been set up by that name. Note however that all of Johann Sebastian’s composer sons will also be in that list if they are have also been entered as just “Bach” in the metadata. Where the metadata does not just have Bach but J.S. Bach then that will be shown in the “J” display and C.P.E Bach in the “C” display. Consistent metadata is a blessing but I am afraid that few of us will have that throughout our collection.

Of course you can still use a search but for day to day navigation I may prefer the display by initial letter unless I am browsing at random.

Hi Robert and Peter,
Thanks for your helpful replies.
Fortunately, all my locally stored music, ripped CD’s, are kept on an Innuos Zenith server.
The problem I still have to over come is hard wiring the Bartock, it’s the other side of the room from the router so will need a lengthy ethernet cable, plus both ports have been already taken up by our hive home heating hub and the ethernet plug I use for the Zenith.
Nothing’s ever straightforward!
Cheers

Eamonn,

Just a couple of points.The first would be to install MinimServer on the Zenith if you can. We have had other members with Innuos servers running to dCS Mosaic reporting odd behaviour otherwise. Early Zenith’s used to offer MinimServer pre-installed as an option but I do not know the current situation as Innuos have developed a long way since then with their InnuOS operating and control system. I am also not sure about compatibility of that with Mosaic. You may want to contact Innuos if you find problems interfacing with Mosaic to see if you can install MinimServer 2. Please read this link :

You can use Innuos Zenith as a USB streamer to Bartok using the InnuOS app. However USB is not the best way to go with dCS streaming products and the optimum sound is via a network connection which I think is what you want to do with Zenith as a server. Of course an alternative is Roon.

So, that lengthy internet cable that you need. There are all sorts of preferences expressed on this forum for such cables, I will stick to the dCS recommendation that properly accounts for the connectivity provided on their devices. Use an unshielded cable ( CAT 5e or 6 unshielded) and ensure that the cable is officially certified as meeting the standards for the CAT standard.

1 Like

Pete, is there an inexpensive cable you would recommend?
Cheers
Eamonn

Here on the public forums I am attempting to stick to generic comments on cables unless the subject I am responding to is about a specific cable. I will send you a PM.

1 Like

Thank you Pete, totally respect that.
Eamonn

Robert, as promised I have checked what needs to be entered in MinimWatch 2 so that Mosaic shows the additional information I outlined earlier.

Open MinimWatch. Select “Properties”.

Go to alphagroup. Enter Artist,composer,[albums]

Go to Item tags. Enter TrackNumber.

This is much easier than using the original MinimWatch.

Thank you for the information. I will introduce them to my Minimserver configuration.
Best regards Robert