Importance of Clock Cables

Anyway, back to the cables - those Telegärtner look good for the price so my plan now is :-
1- Telegärtner
2 - Wyde Eye (if i can find some)
3 - Oyaide
4 - Transparent Audio Reference xl

The Telegartner cable that Anup links to on the RS website is 5M long for £16.54 terminated ( see specifications). Do you need that size? So it is very cheap per metre and I have my reservations about it being an improvement compared to the one supplied by dCS. Personally I would still go with the Van Damme Pulse. As I have said before, what is good enough for Abbey Road, the BBC and a large number of European recording studios is good enough for me. And at least I have tried it and it has proved good enough to remain in use .

I think I may still have some Oyaide too and will look it out if I can find it in my unfortunately large collection of discarded wires. I recall that It wasn’t to my taste at the time. Beautifully made though in best Japanese style.

Hi Pete, you make a good point with regards to what the professionals use. I didn’t realise that it was 5m long! Which VD do you have again? These are the ones i have been looking at.

This one:

As pointed out the multiple cable colours/boots really help, especially with a four box system, but even routing a pair of word clock cables is easier if they can be quickly identified from each other.

All of mine are 1.5m. Aside from any question of internal reflections at least it allows more wriggle room to ease installation and also provides more allowance for the boxes to be repositioned if necessary. But the main reason is simply that the distance from my transport ( top shelf of rack) to the system clock ( bottom shelf of the rack) is more than 1m!

1 Like

Ok, thanks for that. I was only going to get 0.5m but might go 1m, as that would enable me to pull the dac or clock out of the rack if i need to. I know it’s not ideal, but they will be sitting on top of each other on the same shelf.

(I wonder why the clock is always shown underneath the dac when surely it weighs less and would be better on top.)

We all need to compromise somewhere but if you possibly can separate them the difference should not be difficult to hear. The original dCS Elgar/Purcell/Verdi/Verona had chassis that were actually designed to stack and to form a kind of truncated pyramid. I tried it once. Lasted about 15 minutes before I pulled it all apart and returned to individual shelves.

I am in slow on going negotiations about turning the 90 degrees and replacing the rack shelves with wider ones. Which would mean the components could sit side by side. Not ideal but perhaps better than stacked.

Well, they have 1.5m cables too. Took a bit of browsing on the RS site: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/coaxial-cable/7387367/

Yes indeed:
:+1:

And just to add one more tiny clarification suggestion: it helped me to get the same color or similar for the boot and the cable itself. There were times when I was fiddling with cables and all I could see from one vantage point was the boot itself. It helps to know," “blue is blue,” etc., and looks cleaner as well. And if you want to get really detail-oriented, take advantage of Van Damme’s custom labeling. But YMMV.

Pete, what do you suppose the differences are between these two Design-A-Cable items; they have different SKUs [the second one is the one you linked to above]. Both mention Plasma Cable in their detailed description. The one with “Neutrik” and “Plasma” in the item title is slightly more expensive, and it claims a fairly tight 75Ω ±2 spec.

The first one specifically mentions “Neutrik”. Could indicate Neutrik-brand BNC connectors whereas the second one uses generic ones? The actual coax cable is the same. I’d spring for the ones with Neutrik connectors for the pittance of £2 more…

Lazy Scott, Paul_ Bemelmans and Greg. Apologies all round. It is indeed the version with the Neutrik connectors that I have. For some reason they were not appearing when I searched Designacable to post a link earlier today.

Yes, as answered below ( or above!) the difference is Neutrik v. generic connectors.

Pete no worries, you have been more than helpful. I think some blue and green will be ordered.
Regards
Leo

I think that I should add that as Designacable is a custom shop you do not have to stick to the preset combinations in their web shop but, within reason, ask for the termination that you prefer so long as they can source it.

Any recommendations for bnc plugs? i used designacable for my ethernet cables so would happily use them again.

No, the Neutrik ones are about the best though Supra make a nice one too. I have tried others that claim superiority including better adherence to the 75 ohm standard ( e.g. Canare) but, in truth, there was no SQ gain i ( more metal = greater eddy currents?).

Thanks, i will order a pair of latter today.

1 Like

Let us know your experience. I was quite impressed with DesignACable’s service and with the quality of the product.

I will do
Regards