Great DSD downloads

If you - Pete for example - want the music and not the format why not go to High Definition Tape Transfers and get the best of both? There you have a wealth of great music in a variety of file formats from DSD 256 down to high res PCM. The web site and methodology is a little clunky and old fashioned - for example you can only download the music you buy once and only as FLAC if in PCM. There are free downloads of a sample from each album on the site in 24/96 to give you an idea of the sound quality. I find with Native DSD much of the music - for my tastes - does not warrant the DSD recording quality.

1 Like

I think you misunderstand my position in this. I am not after any music in this respect at all. I was merely trying to help @Zapp find a DSD version of Brothers in Arms from the EU (where he is) bearing in mind copyright restrictions.

In regard to HDTT, they deal only in recordings that have now entered the public domain ( under USA law - though this has been changing recently - this is not an appropriate thread to go into this in detail) . I have several of these which vary in quality. As AFAIK HDTT have no access to masters and their products are based solely around commercially issued reel to reel tapes. The condition of these affects the outcome of course.

Sorry Pete for taking things out of context. One way to obtain a DSD version of Brothers in Arms, albeit only in DSD 64, is to buy a copy of the SACD of which there are many on Discogs and then rip the SACD. There seem to be others who have done this or can do it. It may seem illegal to do this but in the US I believe that if you own the physical disc you are allowed by law to make a copy for your own use as long as you retain the original disc.

I am not sure that is correct. in most countries ( including the USA) exceptions to copyright protection fall within a doctrine called ā€œfair dealingā€. However this is normally limited to comment (e.g. criticism), research or for educational purposes. Retention of the original disc is also , I suspect, a bit of an urban myth presumably as a means of proof of purchase but it doesnā€™t take a lot of thought to show that in itself it provides no such thing.

In reality we probably rely upon the good offices of the copyright owners ( mainly record labels and music publishers) not to prosecute bona fide private copiers so long as the copies are not subsequently distributed in any way. Incidentally there was an exemption for private copying introduced into copyright legislation in the UK in 2014 but this was quickly quashed by the High Court as being unlawful (2015) - mainly it seems because there was no compensation available to the right owners. No doubt the issue will continue to raise its head from time to time.

I am however now long out of association with such matters on a professional basis so if anybody would like to contribute anything material on this issue it would be appreciated.

1 Like

In the US, ā€œfair useā€ provisions with music are pretty broad, and the court system is pretty bogged down with real criminals (like, for example, our politicians), so you can make a couple copies for yourself, give a copy or two to a friend, etc. Just donā€™t start another Napsterā€¦ ; )

1 Like

I seem to recall that a few years ago either IFPI ( the record industryā€™s international trade body ) or RIAA ( their US member body) made a public statement that it would not be their intention to pursue bona fide home copiers making single copies for technical reasons. Mind you there has been nothing similar from the music publishers AFAIK.

From memory the judgment of the High Court in the UK where the exemption for home copying was found to be unlawful also made it clear that authorisation from the right owner has to be obtained for all copies including ephemeral ones. That means that even buffering the music data as part of the technical process of replay is illegal otherwise ! Of course getting the authorisation would also be impractical as the home user would have no idea who the actual owner(s) is/are and as the rights in sound recordings in this respect are not handled collectively ( as are e.g. the performance rights in most countries).

Right now I am listening to the DXD version of a digital transfer from 15 ips tape of Mozart Symphonies 40 and 41, Columbia Symphony Orchestra directed by Bruno Walter in 1961. I found it on the High Definition Tape Transfers site.
A fantastic direction by Bruno Walter and very good sound quality. I canā€™t believe I am actually listening to a concert recorded 60 years ago.
Did I mention the direction is out of this world? But I suspect that many forum members already know.

Merry Christmas from Rome, Italy

A.

1 Like

Thanks, Dreams and Prayers is a great album, I did not know it

Hi @Zapp just in case you hadnā€™t seen yet ā€¦ recommended ā€¦ Money For Nothing (Remastered 2022) | HIGHRESAUDIO (Germany) or https://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/136015 (US)

Thank you for the heads up. I listened to it via Qobuz, but I find the remaster totally off.

I listened to the first track only, Sultans of Swing, but I am back to my old faithful original version, and to me it sounds just right. Not sure what they did with the remaster.

Iā€™ll try the others songs as well, will let you know.

Andrea

1 Like