FUN: Vivaldi Successor Rumors

You’d switch over to Vivaldi’s USB input on that circumstance?

If I was to go with the Taiko Extreme I would compare the USB vs a Ethernet connection. From what I have read most Taiko users prefer USB over any other connection.

The problem with that is that it is a “generecized” data point that doesn’t take into account a particular DAC’s optimization for input. The Extreme, like the Pink Faun, EVO 432, and other “high end servers” are, generally, optimized for USB. There just isn’t much they can do to affect Ethernet, especially if the test bed isn’t located in the listening room and the network has already implemented optical or other isolation methods.* So, realistically, the primary question remains how well built a given DAC is for the selected input. We know here that dCS DACs are optimized for Ethernet. So, if someone were to try to tell me that the Taiko sounds better into the Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler over USB than Ethernet, I would sure want to know how/why that’s possible. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but I am questioning the likelihood that some Linux or Windows sysadmin knows more about asynchronous audio than dCS.

*And it’s hilarious how this fact warps their marketing and often exposes the nonsense. When I was working on getting one of these “super servers” for a demo, I was trying to set things up so I could direct compare Roon Nucleus+ into the MSB over the Network Renderer versus the demo into MSB’s ProUSB, while also comparing network and USB inputs into the Vivaldi. [Now, MSB are a bit cagey over which input is better—because they’re not stupid and there is no reason to alienate any audiophile segment—but the ProUSB is of more recent engineering vintage and definitely represents their current best answer to Ethernet’s advantages.] During the course of our exchanges, the server guy made a statement to the effect that “you should never generalize, but generally, Ethernet will never be as good as USB; you’ll just eventually need another server to feed the Vivaldi DAC.” I kid you not. That’s when I “hung up the phone.”

It’s one thing to go on and on about how different things “might” sound better because of something we don’t understand (especially over an interface as sub-optimal as USB). Or how one DAC maker might focus on making its USB or AES or Toslink or I2S input superior to its other inputs (see PS Audio’s Octave server project). One should ask: why does it cost 2-20x to deliver bit-perfect audio with complete noise isolation? What are all those 24k gold unicorn tears actually doing that my DAC and its clock(s) are failing to do?

P.S. It occurred to me today that very few high end DAC makers also make high end (or any) servers. Why do you suppose? It’s certainly not for lack of expertise. Follow the money; in this hobby, people are practically dying to throw it away.

2 Likes

I wish:a streamer with cover display (without upsampler)

3 Likes

…I love the look of the Rose Audio streamer or N20 Aurender…

1 Like

If tou like a lot of screen, I guess. But the industrial design of both those units is pretty flat and uninteresting. Both bear more resemblance to the Matrix line, one of which I own. For a small box, the screen is very informative. And neither offensive, nor inspiring.

I have no desire to debate individual preferences in this crazy hobby or ours. Not sure if you have seen or followed the +7500 post thread on Whatsbestforum relating to the Taiko Extreme. I recently picked up on it and spent several days reading those posts. There are many ideas in that thread I have a hard time coming to grips with including USB is better than Ethernet even for dCS users. I also question whether copper is better than optical. Since I have yet to hear the Extreme (that should happen when I visit a dealer in Florida around Labor Day) I have no basis to challenge this ‘game changing “ server. I know several owners that I respect that are unanimous in their praise of the SQ gains the unit delivers

Many owners have indicated that Taiko running TAS makes Roon sound like crap. I have a hard time grasping that concept since I have yet to hear better digital “in general” that what I get out of my setup. So night and day differences are hard to expect.

Jim,
I have no Taiko but even I hear that roon sounds like crap vs upnp from melco🤣

With all due respect, and understanding that your ears are yours, but “crap” seems like an unnecessarily unpleasant and extreme assessment. There are quite a few who disagree.

1 Like

Jim:

Not trying to start a flame, but I would never look at WBF as authoritative for anything other than a lot of people proving how much money they can spend. Simply not a credible reference for me. And yes, I’ve read just about every post there on the Taiko, EVO432, dCS, MSB, etc. What people can claim and what they can explicate are two different things. And the wild-eye-ed breathlessness of the former is almost invariably inversely proportional to the latter. It’s the same crowd that lured me into a Cybershaft clock before I did my homework. The same crowd that almost suckered me into a Taiko and EVO432. That crowd’s grip on reality is slippery at best. Solely IMHO, this entire industry and hobby is premised in too much part on audiophoolish paranoia. And WBF is the pinnacle.

1 Like

I just googled and came across a review where the owner/designer of Taiko and the reviewer:

"During the installation, we spent almost an hour or two just moving the music server on the Exoteryc high-end audio rack by Artesania Audio, millimeter by millimeter, and the difference was amazing. More than a dozen times we just looked at each other in amazement and both of us nodded quietly. "

If moving the Taiko millimeter by millimeter resulted in such profound changes… It is a product which I am definitely not interested in :smirk:

4 Likes

That Taiko Audio thread on WBF has so much hyperbole… and to imagine people spending over $20K on a Server only to stream over USB! It’s just so absolutely hilarious! :rofl:

I have to pity the folks who fall for it though, I guess they don’t know what they don’t know.

1 Like

That quote alone is hilarious. Which is it? Almost an hour? Almost two? Desktop publishing may not have been the end of clarity in the written word, but the internet almost certainly has been.

1 Like

To the topic of this thread though, in whatever future product, I certainly hope dCS stays with the design aesthetics established with the Vivaldi - it’s beautiful, it’s distinct, has a quiet elegance to it, and it ages extremely well (considering I’ve had my Vivaldi stack for 9 years!! :smile:)

Quite a few high-end brands stick with the same design aesthetics over multiple generations of their products precisely because of the significant brand design equity thats built up over time.

6 Likes

Triple :heart: that sentiment Anup.

1 Like

Greg
You will not find me interested in debating your thoughts on WBF or any other site actually. In audio just like just about any other hobby users gravitate towards individual sites that confirm their biases or purchase decisions… Every cable and component save for my speakers was A/B’d in my system before it was purchased. I may use websites as another source to get potential products to audition but my decisions are based on the sound that I am looking for. 1st

Sure the Taiko thread was probably filled with hyperbole but I won’t know for sure ‘till I am able to perform that initial audition.

Remember I only noted that I would consider the Taiko as a “potential” upgrade to my system ‘if’ dCS decides to replace the Vivaldi with a more complex four or more box system (without transport).

And if and when your do, the rest of us will eagerly await your assessment!

Well, not that bad…

1 Like

Certainly not bad. And I didn’t say “bad.” Just flat. Design is definitely one of those “eye of the beholder” things. I would simply prefer to see dCS continue its approach to design elegance, and not become another bland, straight-line box. We have plenty of those.

I could live with the design …but SQ wise, well….difficult…