FUN: Vivaldi Successor Rumors

:grinning: any guess about the price? More expensive or same level?

Oh I am sure it will be much less! :rofl:

1 Like

As a general rule of thumb if if don’t know what something is I find it difficult to put a price on it.

You mean much less than MSB Select :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Gotta mark that Solved!

Hope the Sucessor can look as high tech and clean inside as MSB Select DAC

image image

image image

This is a 70k € beast?

More like 1.3 k with 2x dual mono power supply

Not me! I own a Select. I love it. But I celebrate and enjoy the dCS differences. There is a “character” to dCS’s devices that I do not want to see disappear.

Depending on the how many boxes the next iteration of the Vivaldi requires (sans transport), I could be moving to the MSB camp. I A/B’d the Reference against my Vivaldi stack awhile back and found that each had strengths in certain areas. If I was looking for the best vocal MSB won out. If finding the last bit of detail in the music it would be dCS. The number of dCS (12) cables with power (3) clock cables (4) AES/EBU (2) ethernet (1) and interconnect (2), versus MSB’s (4) power (1), ethernet (1) and interconnect (2) requires a lot more space and funds.

So funny how psychoacoustics work. My impressions of the Vivaldi stack vs. the MSB Select II DAC (with dual power base, not the dual mono; very confusing!) is that the former is more “organic,” while the latter is hyper-detailed. As to space and cables, the MSB is more efficient, but the Select is decidedly not more economical than the Vivaldi.

I was not considering the Select II at ~$100k so I chose to A/B the Reference DAC against my Vivaldi. I don’t borrow gear that I would not purchase. It is no secret that we all look for different sounds from our set-up so coming to different conclusions is not a surprise.

If I was “starting from scratch” I would probably go with the MSB Reference over the Vivaldi. I wouldn’t mind giving up that bit of detail Vivaldi can pull out of a recording to get the more accurate vocals of the MSB. I wasn’t aware of the bit of noise Vivaldi leaves around voices until it was gone. Again if I was starting from zero the Reference is quite a bit less than the three Vivaldi pieces plus I would have saved about $8k in cables and power cords.

Since I am not starting from zero I will happily stick with Vivaldi since I am very content with my set-up and how it sounds. It sounds great and I am sure I would take a big hit if I was to trade or sell them.

I will wait to audition whatever the Vivaldi successor is. If the SQ improvement does not pass the value threshold then I will consider using those funds to swap out speakers or consider adding the Taiko Extreme

Pictures of the Vivaldi successor from a source that has proved reliable in the past

NB no headphone socket

3 Likes

But does it have an outboard LPS? Can’t tell from this pic.

1 Like

Rear view shows multiple connection options

Here It is connected to the Network streamer and Clock

2 Likes

External PSU

1 Like

Sold!!! :rofl:

1 Like

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

But RED!!! You would think they would look after us legacy customers with a silver or black system?

1 Like

Speaking of which, on a recent YouTube channel, over 70% of respondents preferred the sound quality of the dCS Rossini over the MSB Reference.

Yes, I know, it’s YouTube, so take it with a big pinch of salt :rofl:… but the audible differences were quite apparent, and the overwhelming majority voting one way kinda says a lot.

4 Likes