Filter settings

I have a Rossini DAC, not yet apex, and when I stream a HiRes Flac 24/192 file from Tidal, most often Rock/Blues/Jazz/Acoustic, my DAC settings shows upsampling DSDx2, Filter 1, FilterDSD 5, conversion Mapper1 and 6V output. Roon shows DSD128 and ”purple” output light. I understand that filter settings are ”by taste”, but can someone recommend the best settings given the above conditions, or at least which setting is best to start from? Thanks in advance!

[quote=“pontusbringefalt, post:1, topic:6390”]
. I understand that filter settings are ”by taste”, but can someone recommend the best settings given the above conditions
[/quote] a

I understand that you would feel secure if there was a “best setting”. However dCS ( and I) really mean that it is a matter of taste. Not only do personal preferences affect choice but also the rest of your system . For example the same filter could result in a sound that while “detailed” to one listener, manifests itself as " shouty" to another.The matter is less straightforward as for different input sampling frequencies although filter number may remain the same the applied filter may differ. So there are no “best” settings. However you should notice that all possible filters are not offered for all input program material. This is because dCS have already tailored the choice so that inappropriate filters are not made available.

Vivaldi owners are, however, given a starters’ filter guide. It is nevertheless expected that the user will go on to experiment to decide their preferences. For some reason this does not appear in the Rossini User Manual ( unless it was subsequently added after the Rossini 2 software became available which adds the same DAC processor filters as Vivaldi). So here is a link to the Vivaldi DAC User Manual. Look at page 29 for dCS ’ suggestions to start. These should also be fine for Rossini. Not all are necessarily to my own taste but it is a good place to start.

https://dcsaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/360026513539

1 Like