External streamer

…ok, just checked the specs…it runs on roon…

How many use the taiko extreme on here?
Any real advantage over the vivaldi upsampler streamer?
Also only usb out from the extreme, they have special programs for different dacs i see, not sure what or how that works, but dCS state that ethernet input is the better input for them.

Just wondering if it’s an inpovement or just different?

Cheers dunc

1 Like

This hard to give an answer to. To be sure of an improvement one does need hard data. Otherwise what remains is personal preference. Reading through the Taiko website I find many interesting assertions but not much where I could conclude "this is better"rather than simply accepting their opinion that it is. BTW I am not doubting that the Taiko is not be what it purports to be. In fact the more I read the more my interest was stimulated. Unfortunately ( fortunately?) the price is one big barrier to exploring further.

Anyway currently ittle seems to exist to indicate that it is unarguably better.

1 Like

KISS (keep it simple and stupid).
dCS Network Bridge plus QNAP HS-264 silent fanless NAS equipped with two 8TB Samsung 870 QVO SSDs. LAN switch is simple unmanaged Netgear GS105GE.
Absolutely silent, absolutely no complaint about SQ (the streaming servers like Spotify etc. determine the quality) and much less pricey than Aurender, Melco etc.
SQ from the NAS indistinguishable from SQ from the CD transport (provided one uses professional level ripping techniques like ExactAudioCopy or Steinberg WaveLab Pro on a workstation PC with ECC memory).

2 Likes

Hi Martin,
I have a Qnap HS (2x 6TB) a Synology as well and a Melco. The SQ of the Melco vs a standard NAS is really much better in my setup. Once the Melco is up&running you don’t have to touch it again (apart from backup via USB). But I’m 100% with you regarding the simplicity! Less components, less stress, less error…

What can a Melco do better than a dCS Network Bridge ?
IMHO nothing, except that it features a built in SSD/HDD.
In my setup the music streaming via Ethernet either from the Internet or from the NAS is done by the dCS Network Bridge (nwb). The nwb takes care of all audio related functions (buffering, decoding, clocking, etc.) and delivers the music on standard audio outputs (AES, dual AES, SPDIF), not USB.
The NAS just transfers data via Ethernet from the SSDs to the nwb using minim server, and is in this context not a standard NAS (whatever you mean by standard NAS).

That was not my point Martin- I just suggested to test a Melco vs a standard NAS.

1 Like

OK. A Melco is a streamer with internal storage. An NAS is just a (network attached) storage without streaming.
Could you go more into detail on how you eventually connect the Melco or the standard NAS to your music system ?
In my setup the NAS is just external storage to the dCS Network Bridge. No PC/Mac involved for music streaming / music playback.

My point is:
In a dCS based system, be it the Network Bridge or any of the other components featuring streaming, an external streamer is completely obsolete. Using a NAS as external storage will also not have any impact whatsoever on SQ.

I use the Melco as NAS only with upnp service enabled, just like a synology or qnap NAS. From there, from a switch to dCS.

1 Like

OK. But the Melco benefits from its audio oriented features a standard NAS does not have.

Do you control the Melco or the NAS with Mosaic (with Minim Server installed) or with a NAS specific software ? Please give a much more detailed description of how you use your equipment. Otherwise I cannot understand your statement that Melco is better than standard NAS.

When using Melco as NAS you may connect directly to the dCS component using ethernet ( not using a switch) . Melcos have a dedicated tethernet port for network audio players. Unlike others it accordingly has two ethernet ports ( “in” and “out” as it were). It is generally held that ethernet connection to dCS is preferable to USB.

Melco’s software is accessible from the menu displayed on the unit’s display. This controls its “set and forget” functions such as selection of UPnP server software , RAID configuration, display brightness etc. However for day to day playing ( navigation and selection of albums, tracks) Mosaic controls this in a dCS combination when Melco’s role is as NAS . That is Mosaic requests Melco to send the relevant data using MinimServer.

Using Melco as a full streamer requires a USB connection as one is then using the dCS component effectively not as a network player but as a USB DAC . Day to day playing requires Melco’s software app, Melco Music HD ( only iOS version available), instead of Mosaic.

Why does dCS recommend MinimServer? :

Putting aside subjective comments on sound quality I chose my Melco originally due to

1. Ease of installation compared to standard IT NAS equipment.
  2. Completely silent in operation
  3. styled as a normal audio component.

Points 2 and 3 are important to me to me in my smallish room where placement of the NAS elsewhere is not feasible.

2 Likes

This is a Melco:

Special transformer, isloated ports, dedicated LAN port, re-clocking, special housing for HDD/SSD etc…

I do not control the Melco, I just install upnp (minimserv or twonky) and that’s it. All controlling is done via dCS Mosaic or roon.

Pete,
Out of curiosity= when you use the dedicated port for dCS how can you use roon without a switch then?

I can honestly say that I do not know as I am not and never have been a Roon subscriber. Sorry.

1 Like

Does this apply to the standard NAS as well ?

Yes, synology and qnap use this as well buth these are more generic NAS systems ( sharing photos, movies, files etc.) while Melco or Innuos are build for audio only ( and optimized for that purpose).
I just want to give you a tip with the Melco. If you have a NWB already you could improve the sound further. But as always- try it in your setup. For me, it was a no brainer to go for a Melco ( or Innuos which plays a little bit smoother with my gear).

This is the view from Mosaic app on ipad, you see the NAS upnp systems in my home. First is the Melco.

Your opinion, not mine.
The data transfer from Internet/NAS through NWB to DAC must be and is bit transparent, and that’s all that is required. The rest is snake oil.

1 Like

When the Melco is configured to use that Ethernet [Player] Port in “isolated mode”, being completely independent with it’s own DHCP server, it’s isolated from the other Ethernet port and can’t connected to the home LAN. Which means it’ll be invisible to dCS Mosaic and hence won’t work with dCS systems.

Melco’s “isolated mode” was designed for Ethernet Streamers (like from NAIM) which imbeds UPnP Control from within the Streamer’s Ethernet port, not a separate external Control-point like Mosaic. In fact, IIRC, the NAIM streamer can even issue UPnP Control from the front-panel of the Streamer itself.

1 Like