Ethernet switch

Review:

“Then we took the cable we didn’t use on stage and gutted it, exposing its innards. We found an interesting mix of high craftsmanship (a thick polyethylene sheath, genuine S/FTP construction) and corner cutting (masking tape, unterminated shields).”

I’m not sure this is the right place for this post but here goes anyway.

We just got an independent ISP who has installed fibre cables in our street. I have had the connection installed. Everything works great except my Rossini Player which Mosaic cannot see. It worked fine with the old ISP equipment which was using copper cables.

The Rossini manual says some routers supplied by ISPs cannot handle the dCS connection and recommends an aftermarket router instead. The router supplied by the new ISP is Huawei HG8245Q2. The previous one was a standard BT Hub.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks.

Some ISP routers don’t support the mDNS protocol, which allows devices on a local network to find other devices on the same network, which could be why Mosaic can’t see the Rossini.

Not knowing your network layout, the best starting point (and possible solution) is to test this using a half-decent ethernet switch after the Huawei router (connecting all the local ports into this switch and connecting the switch to the router using an additional ethernet cable).

If it worked before the change in router, it’ll probably work fine again after making this change :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unless you have already tried, try rebooting the router and then restarting the Rossini.

2 Likes

Simon, just to clarify the advice from @hifimckinney you need to get the Rossini to reset. To do this switch off the unit from the rear panel. Using the front panel button alone will not achieve this. Wait a minute or so before switching back on.

If this does not work I suspect that as @jandersonhill suggests the Huwei router may be incompatible and not support the mDNS protocol. Please let us know how you get on as this helps build our knowledge base.

Simon, modern ONTs (like your Huawei) can be quite complicated depending on your ISP’s default configuration of the devices are. Trying to figure out what exactly is going wrong could be tricky, so, you should start with the basics;

1. I agree with the recommendation to try a rebooting the ONT to start with

2. Is your platform running Mosaic connected over WiFi directly to the Huawei ONT? If not and there’s a separate Access Point involved, you might have a NAT/different IP segment issue going on that’s preventing Mosaic from seeing your Rossini

3. If both the Rossini and the Mosaic platform are connected directly to the ONT, then plug a spare Laptop to an empty port on the ONT and check if you can ping both the Rossini and your Mosaic platform’s IP addresses - this will verify that they’re all within the same IP segment and can see each other (FYI ONTs can heave each Ethernet port on a separate VLAN for multiple service from your ISP thus preventing them from “talking” to each other).

4. Verify that your Mosaic connected port on the ONT has IGMP Snooping turn OFF

There’re probably more thing you can try, but start with those.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions and here’s an update from me.

I did a full factory reset on the Rossini, three times, but no progress. I contacted the ISP but they insist their equipment does not stop any traffic and is not preventing the Rossini from working. They suspect that the dealer setup the Rossini with a fixed IP Address which is outside the range of their router and recommend returning to a DHCP setting. I’ve asked the dealer who insists it should have a fixed IP Address and blames the ISP for providing rubbish kit. Each blames the other.

I have tried typing the IP Address shown on the back of the router into a browser connected to it to investigate the options for a fixed IP Address but it says the server is not responding. I’ve emailed the ISP asking for help with that but no reply yet. I’ve called and get the answering service which says the mailbox is full!

So we are not making much progress really.

However, the real mystery was last night when I left the house for three hours with the Rossini powered up. When I got back I noticed that cycling through the screen using the remote control it showed a NETWORK input. I fired up mosaic on the iPad but got the little blue circle spinning round (I’m used to seeing that anyway) but I left if for about 30 minutes and then it connected. It worked.

I tried again this morning and it also took a long time with the message trying to connect to Rossini, but eventually it did connect.

But it is still totally unsatisfactory and I will persevere with the new fixed IP Address or DHCP option if possible.

I will update again if I make progress, but might put the Rossini up for sale. I can’t believe it’s so complicated.

Sorry to say your dealer is absolutely wrong. :persevere:

I suggest you do a factory reset of the Rossini, and it should pretty much be plug & play after.

3 Likes

Does a factory reset clear any fixed IP Address which was set up using the router ?

1 Like

Yup!

(And any other bonehead configuration your dealer may have set :rofl:)

1 Like

I think there are two reasonable options here:

1. Factory reset
  2. Let me take the Rossini off your hands to relieve you of the burden. I don’t have much money but I do have a dead frog, a conker and various foreign coins which I think should add up to an attractive exchange (with money my way as required for balance).

Take your time.

3 Likes

Latest from me.

I removed the access point I had in the network, I did the factory reset, it all seemed to work just fine. So thanks to those who helped me out here.

I’ve given up with the dealer who seems to know nothing about the equipment he sells, contrary to the dCS marketing blurb about dealer training and experience.

However, this evening as I sat down to write this finale on the current issue, the iPad took about 7 minutes to connect to the Rossini. It is so often I have to sit and look at the blue circle on the screen.

Maybe I’m being disingenuous but surely if you pay such a big fee to buy a piece of electronics, it’s not unreasonable to expect it to work. It’s easy for dCS to say it’s not the Rossini but the network, and easy for the ISP to say they only provide the connection and are not responsible for the equipment, but normal people don’t want to spend hours learning about digital electronics just to be able to switch on the radio. What’s the point of having gear that is capable of sounding great if it won’t work when it’s needed. I think I’ve just about had it with dCS. I’ve used two dealers so far, both useless. And the interaction I’ve had with the distributor has been useless too.

An awful lot can go wrong in a network setup, much of which is outside of dCS’s control, but I completely understand your frustration - and I’m sure dCS will want to make sure this is resolved.

Rather than dig into the issue in this thread, my suggestion would be to create another thread on this topic and copy dCS support, so you get the support you need.

[edit: I see Erno has helpfully added dCS to this thread]

2 Likes

I am sorry to read this, Simon. Your dealer(s) should have left you with a working dCS system, not just cash on it.

@Phil or @James of dCS should take steps to help you out, if your dealer(s) fail.

2 Likes

What @jandersonhill and @Ermos say is correct. However although this is not a true solution for the issue, for me this has been a very quick way of starting a session if you get the revolving buffering icon on your iPad display when “looking for devices”.

When this buffering starts press the home button to minimise the app. Then tap the on screen icon for dCS Mosaic to resize it and an icon of the dCS device that you are using will almost immediately appear for selection. Tap this and the session will start.

I have no idea why this works but it just adds a couple of seconds to booting up.

Hi Jeremy,

James and I are both away in Munich at the moment but we saw your posting earlier today and are very concerned by your experiences … obviously we’d like to get your issue resolved if possible but we’d also like to find out more about your experiences and whether we can do something about that too … can you drop over an email to [email protected] and we can pick this up with you properly.

I’ll be back in the UK on Tuesday so things may be a little slow til then but I would like to get to the bottom of this…

BR

Phil

Pete,

Thanks for sharing your tip. But I’m not sure if I understand correctly. When pressing the home button to close Mosaic, and the tapping on the Mosaic app again, it reopens with exactly the same blue circle. Probably I’m misunderstanding something.

Simon

Thanks to all your helpful comments. I agree, a different thread is appropriate. I think there was one about the “reconnecting” issue already a few month ago.

I tried to make it as clear as I could so apologies if I was a bit obscure. This has worked for me without fail for the past few years and thus through various iterations of iOS software. However, as I said, it isn’t a true solution and I don’t really know why it works. The reason why you are not getting instant discovery could by quite different to the cause of my issue hence it won’t work for you.

It is now late in the evening here in the UK but if I can I will attempt to post some screenshots tomorrow. This is of course an iOS problem but my main computing system is Windows (which I post from) and the two do not easily ( or mostly ,at all) talk to each other. So it’ll be a bit of a struggle. Anyway Phil is offering a helpful route.

Hey Phil

To clarify, I have no issue - @SimonA is struggling to get his Rossini working and I was replying to suggest he create a new thread to bring this to your attention. @Ermos did one better and added you to the thread himself!

I hope you’re enjoying Munich :slight_smile:

Jeremy

2 Likes