DSP Room Correction

As I mentioned earlier I am currently working with Mitch at Accurate Sound to fine tune a FilterSet for my (quite heavily furnished but lightly treated) room. The more I listen the more I realise that Mitch almost hit the bullseye with his first attempt. The tonal clarity you get when the room modes are eliminated and certain octaves “emerge from the shadow” of a bloated neighbour are revelatory, as are the improvements to stereo imaging from corrected time alignment (my room is quite asymmetrical from a furnishing and therefore absorption/defratcion perspective). I can happily say without a hint of audiophile shame that “bit perfect” holds no sex appeal whatsoever for me any more.

Comparisons with pass-through are largely meaningless for me, as you say @Anupc the magnitude of the improvement is just so huge that it dwarfs any downsides. But interestingly one of the only areas I could fault with FilterSet 1 was a loss of “air”. So high up that no notes are actually played there, but where only overtones live. Strangely even my middle-aged quite average hearing was perfectly able to detect it. After a bit of detective work Mitch figured out that the filter was rolling off just a little bit lower (ca 15kHz) than my tweeter’s natural roll-off. He has just sent over a new version (see below) which I have not had a chance to test yet. Just mention this in case it could be relevant to your use case.

Red is untreated, blue is FS1, orange is FS3 (1/12 octave smoothing).

2 Likes

Thanks. Unfortunately quite different from your case of an early roll-off filter. The loss of “air” that I posted about is with correction disabled; PCM bitstreams were not flowing transparently through the Trinnov as they’re supposed to when the DSP is off (Bypass).

Yes, I understood that from your description, but surely, in a D2D system you can test for bit transparency in bypass mode? And surely, it is the SQ with the room correction engaged that matters? Maybe I am missing something?

Yes, and yes… but (especially) in a passively well treated room, adding a Room Correction component into the system chain can have subjectively more negatives than positives.

1 Like

Yes. For certain on a well treated room. I have a processor that is terrific but has a straight through option. Excepting when driving 5 channels its straight through no processing. Highly preferred

1 Like