Do i need a preamplifier for dcs debussy

Sorry for my English :slight_smile: .
My DCS Debussy is connected to the Electrocompaniet aw250r power amplifier directly. Will buying a preamp (most likely Electrocompaniet 4.8) improve the sound or a preamp in DCS better?
Thank you.

Found the answer on the forum), apparently there will be no difference.
There was another question, is there a DCS bridge network, on dcs debussy, the output signal relay is set to 2V, the volume on the DAC is set to maximum … When adjusting the volume via DCS Mosaic, does the sound quality drop?
Thank you.

Well “there will be no difference” is one of three possible answers the other two are it will sound better with a pre-amp and it will sound better without one. I am sure you will get all three responses to your original question. Only you can determine which is right for you.

In my case with a pre-amp it sounds better.

1 Like

That is, of course, not credible. You are taking an analogue signal from one component , adding interconnects plugs and sockets then passing it through another device with its own switching circuitry ( unless it is only a single source device ) and its own set of choices and compromises made by its designer for volume control and output stage. There has to be a change when it is added. The question is whether or not you can hear the difference ( and that is down to your hearing acuity ) and then whether or not you like it.

Digital volume controls work by reducing the available bit depth. The further you reduce the level the less resolution there is. With a preamp you should set the dCS equipment to maximum ( 0.0dBfs) and adjust the volume with the preamp. Without a preamp and using Mosaic I would try to keep the volume control set above circa. -20dBfs , you may be able to go a little lower than this without running into problems but the above advice leaves a little safety margin. Nevertheless some find subjectively that they prefer to use full output from the digital volume control which is another reason that many use a preamp.

1 Like