dCS Mosaic 1.42 update

Hi Erno,

That would be absolutely brilliant if you can do …

Phil

Not to stir the pot unnecessarily but I did loose my sign in from Tidal during the system update. Qobuz was fine. I needed to re-log in to Tidal after understanding what had happened. No problem.

In my case (Rossini Apex) the update launched via the app fails in the Verification stage.

There are numerous posts on this at each update. Try switching the unit off from the rear panel switch. Wait a minute or two. Switch back on then go back to Mosaic and start the ipdate sequence.

Yes, I know, and thank you and @Ermos very much for putting together a step-by-step guide, which is what I will follow.

I was just offering a further data point to @Phil about situations where the intended update process (i.e. simply through the app) does not work (unless I am missing something).

1 Like

@simorag … OK … so if you can power off your Rossini for thirty seconds and then power it on and once it has booted kick off the update again.

If it fails at that point can you screenshot the error that the app gives you, grab photos of any errors that might be displayed on the Rossini display, grab the logs from the Rossini (as described above) and send then to me at [email protected] then we can try to identify what the issue was that stopped the update - erm - updating…

Cheers

Phil

2 Likes

The really cool thing is the dCS can reboot the network board without affecting the DAC itself.

I was listening to the Coaxial input on my Rossini APEX when it said it was rebooting the network board and it in fact did so without any sonic glitches whatsoever; pretty neat.

Also, as many of you know I’ve not had a lot of luck updating things via Mosaic in the past but had absolutely no issues updating through the web page.

3 Likes

Hello @Phil , by doing as you suggested (i.e. power cycling the Rossini then launching the update via the app again) the network software update competed successfully.
Thank you!

1 Like

Hi Augusto,

You can, but only over AirPlay, which I realise is probably not what you want. But if the Qobuz app experience is your priority then at least there is an option.

You can play back high resolution material from Qobuz via RAAT or UPnP (but then you have to use Qobuz within another app like Roon or, say, Audirvāna so you might as well use Mosaic) or from the Qobuz app but then only via AirPlay or (eek!) BlueTooth.

So you can have your cake or eat it, but not both - until dCS implement Qobuz Connect.

I can’t help but think there should be a standard for online streaming in the same way we have a standard for communicating with websites.

It seems nuts that every audio vendor supporting streaming over the internet is expected to support a different API from each streaming vendor.

This is a largely solved problem - there is simply no need for it.

1 Like

Not sure the streaming vendors have much interest in opening up or standardising but rather differentiate in the market to compete :wink:

2 Likes

Exactly. Technically it’s not difficult at all. The real challenge is getting the big boys to play along.

I just don’t see Apple moving away from their MusicKit API, or Spotify from theirs, or even Amazon from their Amazon Music API. Each is closely linked with their own ecosystem of software, devices, and/or partners.

That said, this fractured marketplace has led to the emergence of aggregators like airable, or musicapi who do provide a standard set of APIs. The only downside being cost :laughing:

4 Likes

Yes indeed. I have been involved in the setting of standards and the practical side of doing it is difficult and protracted. In the cases I was involved in the driving forces were international trade or standards bodies the former of which do not exist as yet for the streaming industry. Even with these major drivers and after years of negotiations no conclusion had been reached by the time I left. Good idea but reality probably is against it especially in this newish industry. BTW, one ingredient was common in streaning services’ earliest days. They were all MP3!

3 Likes

Agreed on both counts. In an ideal world, the point of differentiation would be making the product better, not merely incompatible with everything else!

2 Likes

Updated directly from Mosaic app using my iPhone 15 Pro Max without switching equipment or stopping music playback. Zero issues. Playback stoped for about 45 seconds during the update and then resumed automatically. I completely understand the frustration of folks for whom updates are not a smooth process.

2 Likes

True. No doubt owing to the fact that both fixed and mobile network bandwidth was very limited in those early days of MP3’s rise. Plus, the MPEG standard included both an encoding format and a streaming protocol.

You are a Rebel! :wink:

For the record, I did the upgrade from a Pixel 8 Pro. I also was playing music via Roon. I had the same 45 sec pause/resume.

1 Like

Mine updated fine too, but there’s normally a few seconds where I get the “DAC didn’t restart. Manually restart to finish update.” message. (Not the exact wording.)

I never do, though. I just sit tight and dCS de-knots the knickers.

2 Likes