dCS as a system Vs. the future of digital playback

As a happy user of a dCS classic system for many years I sometimes marvel as the versatility of use and ingenuity behind its creation. The Network Bridge initially was an idea to bring dCS Classic into the 21st century allowing high res streaming and NAS playback. Digital audio playback has moved on since then and a new - not really the Perceptual Technology DAC and processor had this in 2000 - standard - 12S.This is being rapidly adapted as a means of playback of DSD 1024 for instance. Many new companies are embracing 12S and although there appear to be several flavours unique to certain manufacturers there is an effort to make 12S devices talk to each other. There are also now many Digital to Digital Converters - DDC - that convert digital music data to output via their 12S socket. As a purchaser of DSD downloads and having a high quality DSD recorder I want to play back this music in its native mode. I love my dCS DAC but can only playback DSD converted to PCM by my streamer and then sent via SPDIF coax to my dCS DAC. I just wondered what other people’s thoughts are on these matters?

Do you mean I²S?

1 Like

I think there may be some confusion here about exactly what I2S is and what it does. I also believe we are a ways away from a standardized I2S spec and interface, and it’s not required for listening to DSD. While I hope that dCS crank up their DSD playback capabilities to higher resolution levels, DSD sounds superb through their current architecture.

1 Like