Critical Mass Systems Center Stage 2 vs Nordost Sort Kones TC

Hello, does anybody have any experience comparing these two footer systems against each other, under a dac, clock or amp?

The difficulty with questions like this is getting an answer that is meaningful. Footer systems are more or less effective at different frequencies and supported weights and, to some extent, on what they are placed upon. The number used and placement in relation to the supported object also makes a difference. Further, the outcome is also subject as far as you are concerned to your objectives and personal preferences. I am afraid that the only sure way of finding out what is optimal for you is to try them.

2 Likes

Yes, true that.
The Critical Mass Systems footers seem to be needing almost a month(!) to settle, in which time they apparently sound different every day. So I thought, it would be a good idea to get any feedback from the community about those footers, to help me decide, how soon to embark on such a time consuming and difficult comparison (Nordost TC kones are already under my dac, clock and amp and a dealer/friend wants me to try his Critical Mass footers)

Can you give your opinion on the Nordost?

Pete’s advice is so true: in-home trial listening is the only way to really decide for sure. I had an older set of Nordost Sort Kones in use under my Rossini Apex DAC and then remembered I had a set of unused Magico Q-Pods in the closet. I replaced the Sort Kones with the Q-Pods and wow, the result was a tremendous musical difference in the sound quality and they’ve not been removed or replaced since being put in. I honestly have not compared the Sort Kones to the Center Stage 2 footers because of the satisfaction I have with the Q-Pods, but I will admit that your question has made me curious to try the CMS footers. I am a believer in what good footers can do to dampen vibration, so much so that I’ve thought about installing the Q-Pods under the clock as well, but at $1,450 for a set of three I have not pulled the trigger on that yet.

I first tried the Nordost AC and BC Kones back in 2019 under PS Audio gear. (DirectStream dac, BHK preamp and poweramp) and the result was amazing: a more lifelike, detailed and enjoyable presentation. The Kones upgraded my system’s sound in such way, that ever since I consider them as a separate component. Please note, that due to lack of space, all my components were (and still are) placed directly on a concrete slab covered with a thick slice of lava stone.
Fast forward to 2024: The (stacked) Rossini Dac and Clock, the Melco N5 music server and the Constellation amp are on TC footers. I liked the effect of my previous AC and BC footers so much, that I just upgraded them to TC as soon as I upgraded my components.
The only other footers I have recently tried are the Wilson Pedestals, which were no match for the TC Kones.
And one last thing: Two days ago I placed a set of Critical Mass Systems Center Stage 2 footers under my Roon Nucleus+ (stacked on a Melco N5, which rests on BC Kones) and the sound of the Nucleus improoved immediately.

1 Like

I see you use a Melco N5. I will post a new thread so as not to move OT.

What do you mean by “so as no to move OT” ?

“OT” means “Off Topic”. As this thread is about footers, to start talking about Melco streamers/NAS is a different topic so requires another thread. If this not done readers will soon find things difficult to navigate.

1 Like