Connecting headphones (Utopia) directly to the output of Bartok

Just for clarity, I think Gregg is referring to the over-the-ear version, not the IEM version that Sony confusingly gives the same number.

Thanks Greg and Gregg. However I do recall the review and measurements that Tyll Hertsens made in InnerFidelity when they were released. I particularly recall the bass alignment which on spec. would not be attractive to a classical music enthusiast like myself where a more neutral balance would be required.

However the proof is in the pudding so I don’t want to damn without hearing. Unfortunately the current covid 19 restrictions in the UK make any chance of hearing them impossible. However the remaining stocks may have gone by the time the shops reopen ( even if I can find a demonstrator model, online sales continue of course). Yes they are end-of-range as I see the discounters have moved in.

Another contender is the Denon ah-d9200 but that too is seemingly at the end of its sales life as I see lots of " out of stock" and “out of stock , don’t know if or when it may be available” notices.

As I said a big rabbit hole. maybe I’ll forget late night listening and just go to bed earlier? :slightly_smiling_face:.

No apologies necessary Pete; I am not a fan of the Sony sound.

My vote is for you to stay up as you do now, Pete…that way we get the humour :smiley:

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I really like the HD800 and the 800S. They’re not as good as it gets as far as I’ve read, but I enjoy my time wearing them. Maybe it’s a genre/amplification thing as well.

Still, good to be joining you all in the Black/Rabbit hole. I have some Empyreans on the way. Whoops.

1 Like

Nice cans, and beautifully constructed. I did not end up keeping mine, but I wouldn’t have been unhappy if I had.

That’s my hunch too ( in part) and is why I have ordered the Icon HP8. Actually I have been hankering after one for the past couple of years as it should drive some other difficult cans in my collection ( e.g. 600 ohm Beyer Dynamic DT 880 ). So the HD800 S has provided an excuse. I have an Earmax OTL amp as well but I don’t think it has the necessary welly to drive the 800s. It works with the HD 600s but they are more sensitive.

I love mine :slight_smile:

Hi Pete, TAS just came up with a review of the ZMF Vérité Closed:

Thanks Erno. Coincidentally I read it ten minutes ago! Part of my morning regime of scanning through Daily Audiphile:

https://www.dailyaudiophile.com

1 Like

Thanks, Pete. Saved the link, very useful for my morning ritual too!

Here is some more info, from dCS, on your original question:

In the past, it has been common for dCS owners to use the existing line out stage on
their unit to drive headphones, by making up a special cable to run from the outputs
to the headphones. It actually does this job reasonably well – even though not
designed for the purpose – with its low output impedance and low harmonic content
and distortion, and its ability to drive a fair amount of current. When we designed the
Bartók Headphone DAC, however, we decided to add a specially-designed headphone
amplifier to drive a wider range of headphones (particularly low-impedance types,
which wouldn’t do so well on the existing line output), both balanced and unbalanced,
directly, in addition to the standard line outputs.

From: https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/support/dcs-expanse-white-paper/

1 Like

So, anyone tried to connect to Bartok RCA analog output headphones? 600ohm, 80ohm, 32ohm?

It seems you need a prepared cable, with a parallel resistor, something like this:

https://service.shure.com/s/article/how-can-i-monitor-a-line-level-signal-with-headphones?language=en_US

Use at you own risk!

Line output impedance for RCA is specified as 52 ohms. So that indicates that connecting 32 or 80 ohm phones is not recommendable. Given the usual rule of thumb ratio for the lower limit for acceptable power transfer 1:10 ( output:input) the 600ohm phones are marginally OK if their impedance curve is reasonably linear.

Using the balanced out with a suitable adaptor is probably a more practical proposition as it has a quoted impedance of 3 ohms.

Did you see a proper adapter for balanced output?
Should be double female XLR to stereo female jack

I haven’t seen a commercially available adaptor but I had one custom made for me by designacable. https://www.designacable.com/

This was made for 2 x three pin XLR balanced outputs to be summed to a single 4 pin XLR socket for connection to balanced headphones. A 6.35mm ( 1/4") TRS inline jack socket could easily be substituted for the 4 pin XLR.

NB: this was not for connecting to any dCS device. It was to allow the balanced output of a headphone amp which was intended for use with active monitors to drive balanced headphones instead.

No, you cannot. A TRS socket only has 3 conductors, so you would have to connect either pins 3 of the left and right XLRs together, or pins 2. Depending on the supplying circuit (especially power amplifiers) this could spell disaster.

You could use a TRRS jack (they exist in 2.5mm and Pentaconn) but I’d still be wary of plugging/unplugging as jack connectors briefly short the contacts during insertion.

Best to stay with the 4-pin XLR and get a suitable headphone cable with such an XLR plug instead.

Thanks Paul. So, given your kind advice, as Maciej’s question appears to involve headphones with a standard TRS stereo male jack ( judging from the picture he posted) and as the single ended RCA option is impractical due to its output impedance he needs to either:

1. Change headphones or headphone cable (if replaceable) to balanced and have an adaptor similar to the one I illustrated custom made .

Or ( preferably)

1. Trade in his Bartok sans headphone option and pay the monetary balance for one with the headphone amp. I am sure he can arrange something with his dealer. This gets him Expanse and anyway is the correct tool for the job.

Plenty of balanced cables available for the Focal Utopia, either from Focal themselves (possibly already supplied with the headphones) or aftermarket.

Hello, friends!
I try it! And it works fine!

I use some adapters: RCA cable Neotech 1002 0,5m->adapter RCA to TRS male->adapter TRS male to TRS female->Utopia.

What about SQ?
+
More deep and fast bass.
Clear sound
Wide sounstage
Shining and extended hight
More energetic and emotional sound

Not deep soundstage
Bright sound (but i like this)

This is compared with Moon 430 amp that cost about 3500$. Overall I prefer sound straight out from Bartok.

I will bought XLR cable and try it from XLR out. In my experience with Bartok he plays better with XLR outputs.

1 Like