CD transport options for Bartok

I also took for the test Jay’s CDT2-MK3 in black, a very powerful device!

Did you compare the built-in streamer and Jay’s cd-transport? How is it for you?

What MK version do you have? How long did it take to burn-in, did you find any improvements?

Which clock mode do you use Audio or Master? I listen with Master, but I don’t hear any artifacts. Am I correct in this case to use it better?

Piling on to this old topic. I swore off CDs when I got my Bartok. I’ve purchased a few cd box sets recently they are a pain to rip (I’ve wasted hours trying to align meta data with various data bases and Roon). I decided to look at some of the transports mentioned above. A used dCS is out of my league. Cambridge audio, Audiolab and Schiit and Shanling all make transports modern CD transports. Some of them have features that are useless to me.

I wound up getting a second hand vintage Sonic Frontiers SFT-1 transport locally for less than the cost of any of the above options. Apparently it has very low jitter at the output. Seems to be working fine!

2 Likes

Congratulations.

The issue with elderly optical disc spinners is that the OPU ( laser unit) is effectively consumable and will not last infinitely. Eventually a replacement for the unit will be necessary. The sourcing of the part is already limited and as time goes by the ability to find it will diminish further.

Checking online there are CDM 12.4 laser units being offered. If I were you I would buy one now and keep it until needed. The cost may be reasonable now and you would have one against future failure when you may find replacement difficult.

3 Likes

How did you like the jays audio?

Quite worthy for the price. But at this time I am no longer using dCS.