Bartok Apex Upgrade

Definitely a warmer feel beforehand, Andre. (Haw haw haw.)

Good to see some feedback on the Bartok Apex!

4 Likes

My retailler has lent me a Bartok and Rossini apex. Will give my feedback soon…

4 Likes

Is the différence of tone in the pictures done on purpose or is it unvoluntary ?

You mean he didn’t lose gold RJ45 and USB sockets in the upgrade? :wink:.

2 Likes

Interesting that “Apex” is in a different font.

Yes, dCS have chosen to use a serif typeface for display and text headings concerning Apex:

1 Like

Completely unintentional. Just a quick ‘before’ snap of the full back plate incl. serial number (not shown here).

1 Like

Wow, and all that for just $9,000.

I will personally inscribe “Apex” into any unit’s back panels for $7,000, should there be broader interest…

; )

1 Like

Okay, but what about shipping cost? :wink:

3 Likes

It has to be a serif typeface or no bueno.

Comparing Apex/non-apex in progress, but making a pause right now. It seems that the device may not be properly broken-in. I’ll wait for another week before I resume final assesments…

I would like to prepare for a A/B comparison blindtest. Any idea of a protocole? So far I will ask someone to do the cabling for me and to play/pause, the devices being hidden by a curtain.

Technically a single blind test, given you know what’s being compared. Consider sneaking in something unrelated, versus a simple A to B comparison.

Make sure he’s trying to get you not changing anything etc. And to compare apples to apples, i.e. same cables, filter settings, and especially volume level. If you have a preamp and Ethernet switch, it could be done without plugging and unplugging cables, provided of course you have spares.

Break-in may be all-important. Can’t speak for the Bartók, but heard a Vivaldi One Apex that may not have been properly broken in, then again a couple of days later, the difference was already quite significant.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

1 Like

If you’re serious Diego, set it up A/B/X as David suggests.

1 Like

Should I use the Rossini Apex as the X? :slight_smile:

I’m no stat/test expert. Ideally, you as the listener don’t know what X is.

1 Like

I know, you are right. I doubt that one of my neighbour has a DAC to lend me, and my retailer has done so much for me that I don’t want to ask him for more… I will have to do without X, but you are right, adding X would have made things more interesting…

2 Likes

My experience with Vivaldi One and Vivaldi One Apex proper break-in took around 100 hours of audition.

Yes, and I let it play for 160 hours during the last week. Here is my feedback

2 Likes

Finally got the nod to take my Bartok back to my dealer. I’m in Canada and apparently our lot is actually going back to the factory in Cambridge to fit the boards! Should take two weeks I’m told. We shall see…!

6 Likes

It seemed at the time of the Rossini APEX update we heard a lot about it. But I’ve heard almost nothing about the Bartok APEX, reviews or personal impressions.

I was recently at my dealer ordering an Aurender transport and even he said the Bartok APEX update is a hard decision to make given the cost to me and the price I paid for my Bartok. I got the impression they have not had any (or few) Bartok APEX update orders.

I would love to hear more post APEX update impressions or reviews.