Bartok Apex Upgrade

It’s to soon for data, but it stands to reason. I’ve never heard a Bartok, but I look at a current price list and If I was to chose between a 16-17k Rossini, a 22k Bartok Apex or a 33k Rossini Apex, do a bit of research, only to see that what separates the Bartok and Rossini is a power supply…you must see where I’m going with this.
That said, I’m sure there will soon be software differentiators, just like before. Otherwise, as Thierry said, the current lineup makes little sense and it stands to reason the “next generation” will be sans a Rossini equivalent.

Greg - with all due respect to your comment regarding “diminution in resale value”, please note my reply to you a bit ago including citation of a $3K - $4K market value hit to my Bartok today compared with what it was worth based on pricing via Audiogon and authorized dCS dealers such as Paragon Sight and Sound (which list used gear they sell on their website) prior to the advent of Bartok Apex. If I were to sell my Bartok w/HA today (in pristine condition, not a blemish to be found, all original packaging, manual, etc.) I expect it would bring ~$12K. Prior to the intro of Bartok Apex, based on watching listings, I expect I would have gotten ~$15K - $16K for it.

I appreciate there are absolutely no guarantees in this hobby, but clearly the Apex version of Bartok has diminished the market value of all non-Apex Bartoks.

1 Like

Anyone who has actually properly listened to the various units will recognise there’s very clear sonic quality delineation between the range, it’s by design, and Apex doesn’t fundamentally change that.

Problem is some people just judge based what they read about power supplies and chassis differences and just guess without having actually heard. :laughing:

8 Likes

While a fair concern, I don’t think people should be overly worried.

If I had a budget of $10k and a choice of buying a used Bartok for $10k - or saving up for Bartok Apex at $20k+ in the future, I’d enjoy the non-Apex now (we shouldn’t forget that the Bartok just got an upgrade to the v2 firmware, which is pretty significant in its own right).

Could you please be kind enough to explain me the technological differences between the 3 Apex DAC?
And listening differences between Rossini Apex and Vivaldi Apex, and if possible with the volume and RT of the room where you listened and compared those 2, and speakers.

Kind regards
Thierry

May I suggest you start with carefully reading Stereophile’s recent Vivaldi Apex review where dCS comments directly on the inherent difference between the Vivaldi and Rossini.

As for the Bartok and Lina ranges, there are plenty of posts on the forum for you to catch up on, I sure you’ll enjoy reading it (rather than me interpreting for you :smiley:)

ps: By the way, I own both the Vivaldi and Bartok, and hear them side by side everyday of the week :grin:

1 Like

Well, of course it has! That’s what new models do.

1 Like

I think someone said this higher up the thread, but the current Bartok is still a helluva DAC. I’m reminding myself of that fact, after all the consternation of the APEX upgrade price (which for me is 60% of the original retail price of the Bartok).

1 Like

Thanks for Stereophile review and Jason is part of people I “trust”.

I just recall that I listened to the Bartok, and I am interested by Apex in any DCS DAC :slight_smile:

Difference between Rossini Apex and non Apex were pointed to me by people that I “trust”, but they do not live close to me.

And OK to @Anupc but who does not answer the question about the room :slight_smile: But I am sure that with such gear, you have a perfect RT!

But sorry, I trust very few people on forums, in fact, I trust no one for listening sessions, as most people spent fortune in audio gears forgetting that 50% of what they are listening is their room.

Kind regards
Thierry

2 Likes

Quite right! At the end of the day, you have to trust your own ears, not someone else’s.

If it helps re: the room, Thierry — I spent the last year with:

Bartok 1.0
Bartok 2.0
Rossini 2.0
Rossini Apex 2.0

…and headphones ONLY:
Susvara
Abyss Phi TC
Audeze XC
Meze Emprean
DCA Stealth
Raal Requisite SR1a
Stax X9000

…and some more that I’ve probably forgotten. All via a series of very good headphone amps.

No room in the equation. Just no room for speakers.

The differences between the different dCS DACs was obvious — to me at least. And large enough to take several thousand dollars out of my account :grimacing:

5 Likes

Precisely!! Which is why you should go listen for yourself at a dCS dealer and compare the range, rather than suggesting the range is fuzzy or asking for my room response measurements which will have zero meaning to anyone else. :rofl:

2 Likes

I have no doubts about listening improvements with the DAC you mentioned with your headphones!! And nearly for sure with good speakers in a good room too…

To summarize my main questioning:

• Bartok Apex/ Rossini Apex/Vivaldi Apex in a room…

Kind regards
Thierry

If you know a DCS dealer that have a good room, just tell me…

Email dCS, I’m sure they can point you in the right direction :+1:t2:

1 Like

IN MY OPINION, if you are right about zero meaning for any one here, this maybe quite a problem for people spending quite important money in audio gear…

I have several audio rooms (I know, I am lucky). For example, one is about 80 m3, with a stable RT of 0.3s between 200 Hz and 20kHz, bass resonance at 35 Hz is handled by tuned bass traps that lead to a quite good, but not perfect, decay.

Kind regards
Thierry

I had Bartok listening session at DCS official dealer in Paris. The room is not bad, but quite far from what I expect to listen to a 32000€ DAC.

I’m sorry, but none of what you’re talking about is going to help you immediately tell whether you will be able to hear a difference between the dCS range of platforms. dCS dealers have been picked over many years to be able to demonstrate the platforms. Whether you personally can perceive the difference or not is entirely upon you and only you. :grin:

2 Likes

And that is going to be true of any venue.