Bartók and MQA — which USB input?

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a Bartók. Can you help me understand this on the Bartok two USB inputs? Are USB inputs (#1 and #2) both able to allow the DAC do full rendering and unfolding of MQA? I am specifically asking for the #1 USB input, the USB Type B input.

Thanks!

The USB type A input is for attachment of a USB thumb drive with music files on it. For MQA decoding and rendering to function correctly the files need to be properly tagged. See:

The USB type B input only supports MQA streams that are already decoded so you’ll need to do the decoding upstream in your playback software.

Thanks Andrew.

So for USB Type B input (marked as USB #1 on the back), Bartok can do the final MQA rendering, provided it’s fed with the first unfold from the streamer (such as Roon), right? If so, this should not be a problem, as I have Roon, which does first unfold. Correct?

Correct.

Yes… but… why not use the network interface for Roon playback?

I may. I don’t have a Bartok yet. I can also stream from my Innuos ZENith MK3 via USB to try. Whichever would sound better.

Network will give you a far better experience.

1 Like

I’ve my Bartok for long, just test USB input and find it can’t play MQA by either decoder and / or renderer from my Linux Roon core.
Tried to play with all Roon option of “renderer only, renderer and decoder, decoder only” and all not work, the playback can’t be start, and device connection is reset and auto connect in a sec, on every playback trial.
Need to set disable all MQA support option to let Roon core do all MQA task.

Although I know little about MQA or Roon I do know that the source of the MQA files can cause problems in some circumstances due to essential data elements being stripped out.

So it may help someone more knowledgeable than me if you would kindly identify the source of the files being accessed via Roon. Are they rips from MQA encoded CDs for example?

Incidentally,as has been mentioned before, USB is not the best interface to use on the Bartok for sound quality. The network connection is superior.

Hi all,

Just try to remove the ifi iPurifier3 at the USB1 type B input at the back of my Bartok, and reconfig Roon audio device with “Load Default” (which is “renderer only”, enable core decoder).

Then try to playback MQA CD rip, and Tidal MQA as below :

Tidal with first unfold to 96 by Roon core decoder

dCS detect MQA flag and use MQA filter

MQA CD with first unfold to 88 by Roon core decoder

!

dCS detect MQA flag, second unfold by renderer to 176 and use MQA filter

!

So the Roon core decoder + dCS renderer works correctly now, and also trigger the MQA filter correctly :slight_smile:

To double verify the cause, I insert the iPurifier3 to the USB1 type B input again, and repeat the test. The MQA is still working fine. So I wonder it is the unplug and re-plug of the USB cable fix it.

But right now, if I click the “Load Defaults” at the audio device setup, the DSD Playback Strategy will change to “convert to PCM”, I have to change it to “DSD over PCM” manually, to resume the native DSD playback.

Case closed, and thanks all for advice.

1 Like

One more thought, Roon may detect the capability (include MQA) of this kind of USB hub in the chain, instead of the capability of the DAC by mistake. This may depends on whether the DAC is power on when you plug it in, and when / how the capability check take place.