Bartok and DXD files

Simple question…

Can the Bartok accept DXD format files?

Thanks

“DXD format files” are just high sample rate (352.8kHz / 24bit) PCM files in .wav or .flac format. Yes, the Bartok accepts such files perfectly over USB or the Network.

By the way, 2xHD ( http://www.2xhd.com/high-res-home.html ) is a great source for music in DXD rates :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s just I was looking at buying an album and the options are

The site says the files start as DXD which is the PCM(96KHz) option. So, if you want the least molested version then go for the PCM(96K). However it doesn’t say what the file extension will be. I suppose the other question is whether minimserver can cope?

MinimServer will have no problem at all with 24/96 files. It will handle <DSD128 as well. Not that I have tested its limits but it seems to handle everything except perhaps, some unicorn formats that I have not tried mainly because there is little such music to interest me.

I wouldn’t necessarily overlook the FLAC option. That has an advantage over a .wav version in that it has ID3 tagging. I have both read about and experienced a slight loss of quality using FLACs compared to uncompressed files of the same material. However this was not using dCS replay ( aside from my Vivaldi DAC) but JRiver on a Win 10 PC. Using a dCS Network Bridge with files served from a Melco NAS I am unable to distinguish my FLAC and uncompressed files of identical recordings from each other and I mean that positively. Of course FLAC compression retains all of the data so I surmise that any audible difference relates to the unpacking which I surmise again is not an issue with dCS, at least so far in my experience. I would hope for the same result with the Bartok.

As you say, the DXD PCM (96K) are supplied as wav files and that does make id tagging a bit of a pain. I might well go for the alternatives (dsf/flac) purely for this reason.

Minimserver will support the most common file types and tagging.

MinimServer recognizes files with the following file extensions as audio files containing the audio data formats and tagging formats listed below. Files that don’t have a file extension in this list are not recognized as audio files.

|.aac|Audio Data Transport Stream (ADTS) files containing Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) audio data, with no tags|
|.aif .aiff|Audio Interchange File Format (AIFF) files, with ID3v2.2, ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 tags|
|.dff|Direct Stream Digital Interchange File Format (DSDIFF) files, with no tags|
|.dsf|DSD Stream Format files, with ID3v2.2, ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 tags|
|.flac|Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC) files, with Vorbis Comment tags|
|.mp3|MPEG-1, MPEG-2 or MPEG-2.5 files (Layers I, II and III), with ID3v2.2, ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 tags|
|.mp4 .m4a .m4b|MPEG-4 Audio files containing either Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) or Apple Lossless (ALAC) audio data, with MPEG-4/iTunes tags|
|.ogg|Ogg/Vorbis files, with Vorbis Comment tags|
|.wav|Waveform Audio File Format files, with ID3v2.2, ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 tags|

Just for the record I would add that MinimServer also recognises .flac with ID3 tags. All versions that I have so far tried.