Bartók 2.0 : A Substantial Performance Upgrade

review different between Map 1, 2 and 3 :

thx for the tips,

I downloaded and listened to the Bartok 2.0 upgrade (via headphones only). Quick impression with Mapper 1 playing - I noticed I could hear background spatial queues (hall ambiance and decays) a bit more clearly. This gave me the impression that the overall sonic picture is a little larger. Will listen via 2 channel later today

Nothing new feature wise, just some general background housekeeping for Rossini & Vivaldi.

1 Like

can you explain please ?

Just a wonderful update…Many thanks to the dCS team!

1 Like

Okay… the update is terrific. All the additional settings are there. Up at 5AM EST and got right in to the server. Probably 30-45 minutes to complete the process. Very smooth, no glitches.
Using my same settings; filter 1 and DSD filter 3… the sound is much more open. The stage is wider so more detail. One would say the sound is more clear, less congested. Sounds most improved for larger orchestral music. My dealer advised not to get Rossini right away as this was coming. So correct, this is great. And I paid for it with the purchase of the Bartok. Thanks dCS.
Now, wonder what additional difference a clock would make?

1 Like

Merely my feeble attempt at humour. We audiophools worry about lots of things, but luckily software burn-in isn’t one of them.

4 Likes

Piano is particularly better then before with Bartok 2.0 in Mapper 1 and 3 (DXD F4) Violoncello also ,better in Mapper 3 . DXD filter 3 or 4. I need to try now DSD X2 …Thank you dCS for so big improvement.

5 Likes

Help !!!
I’m making the upgrade but it’s blocked , from 1 hour, what can i do ?
The status says , receiving 320/4096 chuncks

Curious to know the “real” differences with an old Rossini now!

I think there is just the physical difference linked to the second power supply but having previously had a discrete msb with the 2 separate power supplies, the difference was not that huge

The bartok has become divine

1 Like

I’m guessing you should just wait. The server is busy with all the upgrade.
Anybody else have this issue? Starting over may be a bigger mess.

1 Like

This change in the Bartok is enough that I’m now adjusting the placement of my Yvette speakers slightly. Amazing.

2 Likes

I’m new to the world of dCS and a new Bartok owner. I woke up at 6 AM EST to load this version. It went off fine except for restart which I had to do manually.I’m absolutely thrilled with the new release of software. It was good before and certainly even better after the release.

1 Like

My upgrade went perfectly. I assumed going off-line twice was just part of the process. Now, I need to take a listen. :slightly_smiling_face: I am excited about this update.

1 Like

Well I do not have golden ears but I think the DSDx2 + mapping3 is actually a pretty audible improvement. I just don’t quite understand how that is even possible as DACs are hardly the bottleneck of most systems… but still I am a happy owner of a Bartok :wink: But yes, the sound stage seems better defined and piano transients come across with even more minute nuances than before. FYI I run the Bartok with an external word clock (Mutec) that isolates and re-clocks the USB-output from a streamer and is the master for a Trinnov with AES in and out (4ch so I have a 2.2 system), followed by the Bartok. It is a nice combination and I think the common precise clock makes a difference :star_struck:

2 Likes

after 5 hours, upgrade still stopped, what do I turn off and on again ??

I don’t want to advise you incorrectly, but that’s what I would do. Be sure to turn it off at the switch on the back and leave it off for a minute or two before restarting the procedure. DO ANY OF YOU OTHER DCS EXPERIENCED OWNERS HAVE BETTER ADVICE FOR SIMONE?

Thanks…

1 Like

I initiated the update through the Mosaic app and it hung at verifying, so 2 hours after it began I power cycled the Bartok and a few seconds after starting up it automatically went to “Firmware Update State: Receiving xxxx/4096 chunks” and then the “UPDATING” progress bar after that, followed by “PLEASE RESTART”. After power cycling again, I noticed I still couldn’t select the map in Mosaic and found that there was a network board update available. That took some time but eventually finished on its own without requiring another reboot and I was good to go.

Initially I couldn’t hear much difference between maps through rapid a/b/c switching, but after letting the music play a bit in each mode the differences became apparent. Map 1 throws the biggest images with the most vivid tonality and micro detail. I found that the most impressive at first, but Map 3 has become my favorite with a bit more 3D quality, extended decay, and subtlety to individual instruments. By comparison Map 1 sounds almost too saturated for me and Map 2 definitely has a proverbial veil over it, a bit flat and un-involving compared to the new maps. I agree that piano benefits the most, notably more tonal purity and impact to each note.

I still prefer DXD to DSDx2.

What a nice surprise. Thank you, DCS!

5 Likes

That’s what I would do too. I think it should be okay since it’s at the receiving and not updating/writing stage. There’s really no other option than to wait even longer, but eventually it’s going to have to be power cycled if there is no progress. I had to force it down at a different stage with this update and have had to do so with my Network Bridge in the past and it recovered fine in both cases.

Maybe contact DCS support if you want to be sure it’s the right move.

1 Like